Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you dinner
I hope Kaleo's is still as good as our last time (January ?) Hilo Bay Cafe was always our go-to when we were staying in Hilo during our initial property search and site prep. Quality became a bit spotty after time and Cafe Pesto has been a great alternative. When me move back permanently next week (fingers crossed, please all send good thoughts) expensive dinners will not be common. Luckily we both like to cook!
I know Devany gave the new place where Harringtons was at the ice ponds very good reviews. I enjoyed the new crepe place (Magic Pan)when I went there with some coworkers. It was very rich food though, and I think it is a bring your own wine place. Has anyone tried the Japanese place that is up on stilts by the water near Lilliokalani (sp?) gardens? I've heard it is good but expensive. I also hear good things about the Japanese place in the old Hilo shopping center.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
nihon restaurant (the one on stilts), imo, is not bad. i don't recall the price range, though.

haven't been to miwa's or miyo's, but have heard good things about both.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

We definitely like Miyo's and Sophie's Mom, born in Osaka, has it on our list to eat this week.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
A great big THANKS to everyone for all the suggestions for nicer dinner spots. I'm makin' a list as we speak! Keep all the great ideas coming.....much Mahalos to all

Dee
Yes, Hilo Ponds is good. Great service. Very good food. Not quite as innovative as Hilo Bay Cafe, but the ambiance and service are much better. Hilo Bay Cafe has the best food in Hilo (this food writer's opinion) but the service screws up the over all experience sometimes (not always.) If you make a reservation you are more likely to get better service. It would be my first choice because of the top quality local ingredients done creatively.

We love Kaleos too, the food is very good, but they seem to have a difficult time keeping help. There is almost always an ad in the paper for a cook or server. And I have been there when service was very slow, though the food is good and if you are in Puna, it is great to have a nice restaurant so close.

Nihon is very good, and ambiance is better than many places in Hilo. It is a great place to go with a group. Service is also very consistent there. We were there with a large group and our server remembered everyone's order without writing anything down and that included a variety of cocktails and wines.

I have to agree with Carol on Pescatore. We have found it hit or miss and since I went to cooking school in Italy I am kind of picky when it comes to Italian. I have not gone to the Magic Pan yet, however, I have two foodie friends who tried it and felt exactly like Carol about it... too rich.

Prices are about the same at Coconut Grill, Hilo Bay Cafe, Hilo Ponds, Nihon, Cafe Pesto and Kaleo's. I would choose one of those since it is a special dinner.

We LOVE Miyos, it is next to Wes' office and we go there for lunch a lot, but I would not put it in the special occasion category. It is also BYOB. We also like Garden Snack Club a lot, really great fresh Thai inspired food for great prices. Also BYOB, but also not "Special Occasion."

I am sure any place that you take your friends will be special because you are treating them!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Thanks, Devany, your post was just exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. I'm sure that we will be able to choose someplace very special among all the very fine recommendations that each of you made. Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Dee
Devany I meant to tell you that I am glad that last time we were together all I had to do is bring wine... I think I am afraid to cook for you LOL. Maybe someday... I do a pretty decent job as long as you don't ask me to bake! I do very much respect your opinion though and maybe that is why I am afraid to cook for you!

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
Where is Coconut Grill?

The thing I don't like about Hilo Bay Cafe, for dinner, is it gets really crowded and busy, and loud. They have tables near the back where you get treated to the sound of silverware and dishes crashing into bus trays - always one of MY favorites for an expensive meal. All the tables are too close together and a lot of the fours are right along the corridor of traffic. And most of the chairs are uncomfortable. I much prefer Pesto, for example, for a place to get comfortable, in nice lighting, a really nice room, where a group can have a meal in peace and hear each other talk.
The Coconut Grill is in the Hilo Seaside Hotel. It is very expensive. I have only eaten there once, for dinner. We were a party of eight and none of us were impressed with our meal. The food was ordinary in taste and presentation at best. Did I mention how expensive it is??!!

I do believe in giving restaurants a second chance, so maybe I will return to the Coconut Grill someday.....if somebody else is buying!!

Cafe Pests gets my vote for a special dinner evening. I enjoy the vibe there.