Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocketed Firecrackers in HPP
this local gal does NOT tie up her dogs. never have never will. never liked fireworks never will. we didn't hear any last year up here in fern forest. but, just as i'm typing this, kaboom! not once, but twice. dogs are frantic. darn it!

glad to hear that the situation has been defused. pun intended.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

It seems that even in our neighborhood, the fireworks started before Christmas....

Maybe its just me, but it seems that there are a lot of people that have the ability to burn their money up even earlier this year.... Economy downturn? not in the fireworks deptartment....

We had a neighbor the first year we lived in this house that had a REALLY AWESOME all day New Years Eve performance... the next morning, I commented that their finances must have improved a lot, in that we had noticed when we checked our taxes that they had a senior exemption on theirs (they are our age, but Grandma still lives there). They have not had that type of show since...
kani,
I am sorry if I generalized about local style. That's why I said "many" and carefully didn't imply ALL. My neighbors are real nice people. I like them. But they just don't think of the dogs or cats as members of the family. The dogs live tied up. They have shade. They are fed. That's the extent. Me, if I have a pet I have to be involved with it and interacting, caring for its comfort, physical and emotional. That's just how I was raised and how I am, but I've seen a whole other mentality in Hawai'i.
The only house on our whole block with children (2 doors from us) started their fireworks yesterday. They must have had a lot of money to burn because they were lighting huge strings of firecrackers constantly for 4 hours. At least it was in the day time. Still, it was annoying and stinky.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
About the "bottle rocket" - I'm sorry - I don't know what those things that whistle and soar way up into the sky are called! Whistlers? It wasn't (I hope) a "bottle rocket!" I wonder where they land?
It's beyond me what joy a person could get out of popping firecrackers and making other loud explosions. Must be a "guy thing." It's also beyond me how a 'normal' human could not care about the feelings of animals. My friend calls these people "half-wits."
I do, however, love the fountains and (bombs bursting in air?) sky displays. jmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_gew8wB20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3K9SNGGY8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8yL3xLhGM&feature=related

Moderator: Please make a little more effort than simply posting links to whatever. Any chance you could describe what you are linking to?
I think the term bottle rocket derives from small firecracker rockets on a thin stick. The sticks are placed into a bottle as a launcher. When lit the rocket shoots out and the bottle remains behind.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

kani,
I am sorry if I generalized about local style. That's why I said "many" and carefully didn't imply ALL. My neighbors are real nice people. I like them. But they just don't think of the dogs or cats as members of the family. The dogs live tied up. They have shade. They are fed. That's the extent. Me, if I have a pet I have to be involved with it and interacting, caring for its comfort, physical and emotional. That's just how I was raised and how I am, but I've seen a whole other mentality in Hawai'i.

apologies are not needed and offense--none taken. an observation on my part, though, is that locals AND transplants alike tie-up their animals. the saddest i've seen is a horse chained-up looking very malnourished up the road from us. gosh, and then there's all the owners who let their dogs rule/roam the neighborhood making it unsafe for humans and the animals. but, that's another thread.

w. james

w. james

I've found that the people (of whatever ethnicity) who have lived in hawaii awhile have a somewhat different attitude when it comes to fireworks. This is especially noticable to people from, say, California, where fireworks are generally banned outright for fire danger.

Chances are that we will all experience fireworks being set off illegally in the next few days. Chances are also pretty good that people will be admitted to the ER with fireworks related injuries. Some animals will be scared and some will run off. Unfortunate.[Sad]

However;

Not all of us are going to have the exellent diplomatic skills of Cindy, or her sensitive and understanding neighbors. If you criticise, or call the cops; Is it going to make a difference other than alienating your neighbors? If so, would it be worth it for a couple of quiter days?

I personally don't like fireworks, but a little watchfulness, tollerance and earplugs may go a long way towards having good neighbor relations for the rest of the year. You may even think about contributing a string of 10,000 or so for diplomacy(just kidding).

It's up to you and your particular situation, but remember it's just for a few days, and it is somewhat of a cultural thing.

Good luck, I'll be hiding out myself.

Haoli Makahiki Hou!

Stoneface
How I miss when aerials were legal back in the '80s!

I'm sorry, but I was born and raised in Hilo and us locals LOVE aerials. I don't pop fireworks anymore because the aerials are illegal.