Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Car, One Cop
oink - vacation time never increases, but you can accrue to 120 days only.

Health Insurance is a huge expense for State Employees (as well as many in the private sector) and getting bigger all the time. It runs about $600 a month, depending on your familial structure. EDIT: $600 per month is the employee's portion, which is over 40% at this time. The State is proposing to flip that figure so employees would be responsible for 60% of the bill. A common error made by the public is that health insurance is a "perk." This could not be further from the truth.

Their pay is not out of line (in my opinion), since it's more expensive to live here in Hawaii than most states.

Del - In 2006 it was 8 cops per shift in Puna...I think they have gone through a major recruitment since then - there are several more now.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
IT has nothing to do with big island. This occurs on all the islands. This is a state wide setup.

"Illegal Drivers" HAHAHAH yeah.... only in legal land....
kinda like "illegal milk" or "illegal eggs"

quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

With no black and whites...I think gives cops the edge,since there's not many to cover an area the size Oahu or bigger...

The stealth of blending in with the traffic enables them to catch illegal drivers easier.

And they take care of the Vehicles which saves tax money in maintenence.

It's very Big Island

quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

Health Insurance is a huge expense for State Employees (as well as many in the private sector) and getting bigger all the time. It runs about $600 a month, depending on your familial structure. EDIT: $600 per month is the employee's portion, which is over 40% at this time. The State is proposing to flip that figure so employees would be responsible for 60% of the bill. A common error made by the public is that health insurance is a "perk." This could not be further from the truth.

Individual health insurance coverage is nearly 100% paid for by the employer, in this case, the County, which are the taxpayers.
If one CHOOSES to get dependent coverage, that is when the cost to the employee goes up.

I just pointed out the pay/benefits as listed on the police web site. I see nothing wrong with the officer's pay. It is a very tough job, especially with the revolving door attitude of the local court system. It certainly isn't a job I would like.
They deserve good pay... come on they are putting their lives on the line, especially in many Puna situations. They should be paid well and they should get good benefits.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
The County subsidizing the police vehicles doesn't save money. There's no sharing vehicles, cars working multiple shifts, centralized maintenance, selling off of outdated cars......etc.

The policy is a perk to the officers and nothing more; That's why it's so popular with the popo.

All in all, I think they deserve a perk or two; Just don't try and make it something it's not.

Stoneface
not only is it a perk but it semi reveals the blurry and deceptive nature of "traffic violations" and "traffic court".

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

The County subsidizing the police vehicles doesn't save money. There's no sharing vehicles, cars working multiple shifts, centralized maintenance, selling off of outdated cars......etc.

The policy is a perk to the officers and nothing more; That's why it's so popular with the popo.

All in all, I think they deserve a perk or two; Just don't try and make it something it's not.

Stoneface

Greg, I believe the county should go to marked county owned vehicles with light bars and cages but not as a cost saving measure. However, if you think it will save money you are very wrong. County owned "hot seated" vehicles will only last one year. They are not cared for as well and wear out quicker. On resale, used cop cars generally bring very little, because they are wore out. You also suggest a county fleet maintenance? More county employees and more bureaucracy and more waste. Put the cops in county cars and they will feel no personal responsibility for them. They will be more inclined to run them hard on crappy roads. I guess that's a benefit for Puna residents.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Direct quote from hawaiipolice.com:

"Health insurance — self or family medical, drug, vision and adult dental insurance partly subsidized by the County of Hawaii."

County workers have nearly the same exact insurance offered to State employees...at this point it is a 60%/40% ratio.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
partly means 90% for individuals