Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainfall Jan 2010
The average rainfall that the Weather Service uses is gleaned over a 30-year period. The last time they updated it the average at Hilo Airport went down about to about 126 inches annually, roughly three inches lower than previously.
You are on to something with the pouring concrete idea. I tried something similar by stripping and re-painting my front porch. Sure enough as soon as we were ready to prime the steps we started to get a little rain. Unfortunately it has only been enough to take my catchment tank from 15% or so to maybe 25% but I'll take it. Maybe I need to take on a bigger project that would really depend on dry weather like re-roofing the entire house. That might be just enough to make it start pouring down.
On another note, my mom just visited for the first time and stayed for three weeks. I spent the entire visit constantly telling her "No seriously, you don't know how lucky you are. Normally it is pouring cats and dogs this time of year". She probably though we were just being big babies for the last 4 years with how much we talk about all the rain here.
Adam! I had that same thing happen to me in I think about 94 or 95.... my mom arrived the day after Christmas and stayed till end of Jan and it seemed like not one full inch of rain that entire month (and it had rained cats and dogs for almost 30 days straight right before she arrived!)

(she also thought we were whining about nothing...but since she moved here she now knows what it really does! ) [Big Grin]
That's funny, because my mom must have made the comment "Adam, I sooo could live here." several times per day.