Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kapoho Vacationland
When discussing realtors I can only say that John Dirgo has the patience of a saint, a deep, deep well of knowledge and expertise, and was willing to show us as many houses as we had to look at, until we found the one for us. Then he had to keep us calm during the closing process which was super drawn out and frustrating because it was a bank repo.

The quick and dirty on bank repos is: what you see is what you get (maybe), you will get no meaningful disclosure, you have to meet all deadlines, but the bank doesn't (and won't) and closing dates were flexible at their end but not ours. Oh, and the left hand will have no clue what the right is doing, we had offers rudely turned down by people at the bank, and then a different party at the bank dropped the price below our offer, twice! We finally paid $10,000 less than our initial offer. Our house had not been trashed, but the cheapo painters hired by the realtor to repaint the inside did a crappy job and we had to spend a week cleaning before we could move in.

After looking at a lot of repos I would say that repos that were rentals or investment properties tend to not be trashed, but some homeowners who are being foreclosed on take it really personally. We saw missing pumps and pressure tanks, punched out sheet rock, ripped up carpet, plumbing and light fixtures removed, every cabinet, closet, and room door taken, and in one house pepto bismal pink paint splashed across beautiful oak cabinets and most of the walls. There are good deals on foreclosures, just know it will not be a simple or quick process going in.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by dakine...then of course that sea level rising stuff is.. well... rising!

"As a result we find that average vertical motion of the Kapoho region for the time period studied was between -0.7 and -1.6cm ± 0.6 cm/yr (2 standard deviations)." From the Kapoho Subsidence Study

And yes Kapoho dropped in the 1970's. As for the safety issue, I personally would rather live here than anywhere near the cliffs on the Hamakua Coast. But thats me. And Volcano is toooo cold for my significant other!
That property sometimes floods at high tide.It does not have a septic system.
There are plans for a home to be built between it and the ocean which will block the ocean view.

Contact Winston Churchill(yes that is his name)He lives in Vacationland.

http://kapohorealestate.com/
Obie is right on the location and yes building will be starting in the fall in front of the octagon. I was thinking of this one which is for sale - 14-5021 Walea MLS 235725 - similar price and circumstances but larger SF residence.

Julie Paul is a realtor also very well versed in this area having lived in Vacationland, and Farm lots for years : www.juliepaul.com
We are looking at that house tomorrow. Last time it sold, it went for around 550K. Our realtor does not know the condition of the interior but did tell us that there is no longer an ocean view due to growth of vegetation on the lot in front of it.
There's ALWAYS a price to pay living near water. Furthermore, most people living on this island are quite aware of what it's like to live in the shadow of Mother Nature. Mauna Loa is overdue and Hualalai was fairly recently re-classified as active. I would think that most of the danger in Kapoho would be from Kapoho crater. It last went in 1960. Fifty years isn't even a drop in the bucket in geological years. I had thought I guess incorrectly that Vacationland was zone 1. According to the original poster it is zone 2.
Mauka, if you happen to like that house and end up buying it, you will have PunaWeb neighbors on either side, as Tony B. from Atlanta is building on one side, and we own the house on the other side. I may be there doing yard work tomorrow -- look for my grey Toy P/U and say hello if you see it...

-dwajs
-dwajs
We're just back from Kapoho. The Octagon House is not in the best shape. Still a little better than many foreclosures. There is still an ocean view from the loft bedroom. If some trees were cut back the view from the first floor would also be great. Ocean and warm ponds from the front and Green Mountain from the back. There is some rot in the house and it just has that eerie feel of a foreclosure. The last buyers paid around 550K for the house and must have just walked away when values dropped. My guess is that it would take about 100K to make the house nice again.
We did see another house we liked much better. It also needed some work, but was good the way it is. There did seem to be more than just a few abandoned houses. I was pretty surprised. We're thinking about it.

Then those lovely photos of the hexagon house on the realtor's website must be really old.

I think that's deceptive advertising. I think that realtors should be required to post photos of a house's current condition. Otherwise they're wasting everyone's time.
I was the orginal poster. I agree those photos of the house were from years ago when the home was a vacation rental... ie snorkel heaven.
The Bank is not negotiating on the price much at all.My friends are going to wait on that one until the bank reduces it more.

Many Mahalos[Smile]
I was looking for a different thread but came across this old one.

You should see that octagon house now. Owners fixed it up.

You can look on line and see what it finally sold for. But it is a gem now, and the house being built in front of it is I think almost done now, and the octagon retained an ocean view.

Seems like it was a good investment, so far, for the buyers.