Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campaigning at the Keaau bottleneck
i bet the new longs sign is really distracting also. infact that whole building is distracting, shut it down.....
well, I'm a people person, so when people are waving at me, I'm socialized to acknowledge them. I also feel conflicted if they are waving for a candidate I don't support, because if I respond nicely, I'm giving a false impression that I'm supportive. That feeling of conflict takes me out of total focus on my driving for the bit of time it takes to make up my mind, and it would be a bad time for someone to stop short in front of me, although I would hope I wouldn't be THAT distracted.

808, you and I are different ages and genders, and I expect we're socialized differently. For example, my son has no problem ignoring people if they don't interest him, and is like you. The truth is there are many driver personality types and we can't generalize about the effect of waving. Some drivers will be distracted though.

The Longs' sign only waves when I'm overly-medicated, so if its waving starts distracting me, I guess I should pull over.
As of right now, it's an issue without a real solution. Like many things in life, rules and regulations are enacted for the safety, security and public order. However, just like the Do-Not-Call list, those writing the rules will include exemptions and exclusions for their own activities. Political signs and activities, even if counter to public order, will always be exempt because the very people responsible for protecting us from other peoples unsafe acts or distractions, will write themselves out of the regulations.

If a business person attempted to stand their doing the same thing to promote their business, and it cause motorist distraction, some politician would be on the phone to the police reciting Chapter and Section of some regulation to require the police to stop the activity. But when it comes to the same safety issues for politicians, well they exempted themselves.

The only successful solution is for the people to force regulations (usually through an initiative) to apply the same standards to politicians. After all if it's unsafe for a private person to engage in similar activity for non-political reasons, what makes political campaigning safe?
Gee, was kinda hoping the local candidates that are here on PW would weigh in.....

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
808 - I am ignoring the sign wavers, but I can hardly ignore all the other cars stuck in the jam around me, can I? I'm not sure I'd agree with a legal solution, but surely candidates should have more common sense than picking such a dangerous and inconvenience-causing spot and then make things worse by deliberately trying to distract drivers. I certainly wouldn't vote for any candidate doing that but unfortunately I don't think many people on the island think that way.
Unless the activity rises to the level of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater, with regard to safety, then I think the First Amendment would apply, giving the prerogative to the politicians in question. And I think that the safety issues raised do not rise to such a level. Speech is protected in this country, especially political speech, of which these are clear examples. I think we'll just have to knuckle under and really concentrate and try to navigate that difficult stretch of highway, depsite the distractions. Happy driving!
DaVinci - you mention the reason why I think this shouldn't be a legal issue, it's almost certainly a First Amendment free speech freedom and would stand little chance in court. The problem is, many people do knuckle down and drive that part of the highway correctly, but many don't, won't and never will, and you only need one driver to cause a slowdown or even worse.
Just to play devil's advocate...cell phones are illegal because they distract one's attention from the road. Hmmm...just sayin'!

(Carrie waves a huge sign for Weatherford at the bottle neck - see her wave while donning her most politically supportive, stupid grin?)

(Edited for important message.)

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Speaking of that ... how 'bout all those political signs on every corner, blowing across the roads and generally burning up the beauty and serenity of the local scenery ? Double standard there to (edit 2 too) yeah ?

aloha,
pog
Lol... Must be new too the 808 and politics. Think signs are bad here? Go to Oahu And drive thru kalihi. Lol