Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Kazumura Lava Tube
http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/V59...Allred.pdf

You can read all about the cave in the above pdf file.
Interesting article. What a wide variety of features. The authors, Kevin and Carlene Allred, are two of the three authors of the "Kazumura Cave Atlas" book.

Also, the Kapolei branch of the Hawaii State Public Library System does have the juvenile book, "Kazumura Cave : the world's longest lava tube" by Brad Burnham (Call # H 551.447 Bu) as does UH Hawaii Manoa and Maui College.

Reality aint what we think it is. (blueroom.com/realityaint.htm)
Reality aint what we think it is. (blueroom.com/realityaint.htm)
Greg, I believe the lava genitalia is located in the Kazumura Cave. I know it's in HPP.

quote:
Originally posted by jade

Has anyone gone to the Kazumura Lava Tube? Do you have to take a tour? I can't seem to find directions only tour companies.

Since this thread is 2 years old I thought I'd revive it and see if anybody knew of new maps that may have surfaced online?
I met someone last fall who lives in Orchidland and is very close to the entrance of the cave called "Pele's Vagina." I don't know if it's what you are speaking of, but people from many countries come here looking for it.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Pele's Vagina --- sheesh... what acid tripping hippie coined that? I find it to be disrespectful.
I think in a forum something will always be offensive to someone. I get where this might be a dis on Pele. I think because it's her island, where her children are born, someone was gobsmacked by the sheer size and appearance of the formation. So perhaps it was meant as an honorable moniker when it was first called that. Hard to tell...just speculation on my part.

I DO want to see this cave sometime. It's supposed to be quite something.[:X]

Blessings,

Carrie
Carrie Rojo

The name was based on the look of a closed window formation near the mid Kazamura formation. the link from bystander is one of the best links, as it is a published scientific paper on the formation of the cave & tube formations by the NSS, which is dedicated to the scientific study geomorphic formations.
There is also Kaumana cave -

http://lovingthebigisland.wordpress.com/...of-hawaii/
quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

I think in a forum something will always be offensive to someone. I get where this might be a dis on Pele. I think because it's her island, where her children are born, someone was gobsmacked by the sheer size and appearance of the formation. So perhaps it was meant as an honorable moniker when it was first called that. Hard to tell...just speculation on my part.

I DO want to see this cave sometime. It's supposed to be quite something.[:X]

Blessings,
Carrie

Check the photo on link bystander provided earlier in this post. You can see where the name derived from.