Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VICTORY in sight for Gay Civil Unions
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I believe that civil unions will be available to people other than same sex couples so calling it Gay Civil Unions might be incorrect. But I will welcome its passage by the legislature and signing into law by the governor. As a heterosexual married man I see no effect of civil unions on my marriage and wish nothing but the best to those who might take advantage of the new law.

In states that allow heterosexual civil unions too it's interesting that there end up being far more straight civil unions than gay ones. In France apparently far more straight couples are deciding to get civil unions instead of marriage.

I'm glad to see many opinions being posted here. I for one disagree with left-handedness.
quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000

I could care less either way - but kalamaboy is simply expressing his opinion - and he has that right to do so.

I believe freedom of speech is what we call that?

Why are you attacking someone else's opinion?

Instead of attacking, why not try to enlighten them?

Wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

Make your case in a rational manner.

I did not attack kalamaboy. I asked a question about his statement.
that is not attacking. I also stated why I did not understand his statement which I did in a rational manner.
Maybe you don't understand how to argue without attacking?
I meant no attack at all. I just do not understand how someone can "disagree with homosexuality" and I stated why I didn't understand.

quote:
Originally posted by Devany

From a person that works for the Census:

"I know for a fact that the census has never asked about a person's sexual preference EVER" DT

The Census can be used to infer about the number of committed gay couples and it has been used to do this in the past. In stating who you live with you put each person's sex and your relationship to them. It was pretty clear from how I filled mine out that my partner and I would be "counted" as a same sex couple home when that is looked at. There is a publication on it here:
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-5.pdf

I'm glad to see many opinions being posted here. I for one disagree with left-handedness.
[/quote]

robguz! You horrible despicable person. I am left-handed. I can't believe you can't find it in yourself to not be more open minded about the hand that is dominant hand. It isn't my choice, I was born this way.

As a young girl (early 70s) they tried to beat this sickness out of me in school. My ancient 1st grade teacher would yank my fat early writing pencil out of my hand and turn my tablet straight and try to make me write with my right hand. No matter what I couldn't do it because it is just part of who I am to be left-handed. The teacher tried and tried and I would give my best shot to use my right hand but I just couldn't do it. It was so much more comfortable with my left. My parents had to go to the school to fight for the right to let me be me.

Even today, with as much progress as we have made, I still have a hard time finding spiral notebooks, scissors and the like that are suited for the left hand. I still feel like I have to hide who I am at times.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
quote:
Originally posted by punagirl

robguz! You horrible despicable person. I am left-handed. I can't believe you can't find it in yourself to not be more open minded about the hand that is dominant hand. It isn't my choice, I was born this way.

As a young girl (early 70s) they tried to beat this sickness out of me in school. My ancient 1st grade teacher would yank my fat early writing pencil out of my hand and turn my tablet straight and try to make me write with my right hand. No matter what I couldn't do it because it is just part of who I am to be left-handed. The teacher tried and tried and I would give my best shot to use my right hand but I just couldn't do it. It was so much more comfortable with my left. My parents had to go to the school to fight for the right to let me be me.

Even today, with as much progress as we have made, I still have a hard time finding spiral notebooks, scissors and the like that are suited for the left hand. I still feel like I have to hide who I am at times.
Atlanta/Pahoa
[/quote]

Honestly punagirl this sounds like you are just trying to justify your choice. Maybe you don't remember it, but the only way southpaws can increase their numbers is by recruiting and now they keep asking for special rights! What is to stop two left-handed people from coming to Hawaii and getting married to each other? They would inevitably make their children lefties and then what, right handedness would go away! And that would be horrible because, um, well I'm not exactly sure why, But another thing is the Bible makes it clear that the right side is preferred. Jesus is seated at the RIGHT side of the father, not the left. And since there is no separation of church in state in the country, the Bible is the only thing anyone can turn to in making laws and should be followed strictly, even where it completely contradicts itself. There are many people who have indeed been cured of their choice of left handedness, you really just need to choose to be saved. Something like 90% of people since the world was created 6000 years ago have been right handed, so don't try to use "science" or some "theory" to try to justify your choice of left-handedness. If we keep passing special rights for lefties, I mean what is next? Then we have to let people marry a jar of pickles if they want to, or why not 3 jars of pickles and a ball of yarn? Where does it end?!?!?!
My biggest concern regarding people passing judgement on gay or lesbian couples is that they are zooming right past the relationship and straight into the bedroom. A lot of people have different sexual habits but it is never disclosed although people seem to think that they know what happens with gays and lesbians and there for it is perverted.

As for me, I was married 10 years, it didn't work out. Not to unsimilar to 50% of straight marriages. I have 2 beautiful children and now have 7 grandchildren. I was in the Navy for 12 years, a business owner for 7 years and have been with my same sex partner for almost 24 years. Legally married in California in 2008. So why would someone look beyond all of that to say, no your relationship ruins the santity of marriage. Don't look so deep into my life and I will not do the same. I am glad that the new Hawaii regime is moving
forward in repecting and enforcing equal rights. By the way, my first wife was left handed.

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"
Here's what it says in my bible: live free and allow others to live free. It can be translated to mean: be a lefty and allow others to be righties and vice versa. Smile
I thought about bringing up the Christian paradox but thought it too controversial. But as long as the door's been open, WTF? If you follow what Jesus said about loving all people and an all loving God, how the heck can you exclude such a force of nature? Where's the threat? I have to bring up the paradox of Ted Haggard who railed insufferably against homosexuality. I don't think it's a cliche that those who profess their masculinity and heterosexuality so strongly are those most threatened by their own thoughts. And how does same sex marriage threaten heterosexual marriage? Again, WTF?
I for one love the sexual diversity and for the most part acceptance of sexual diversity in Puna.
Anyone who has studied their family coat of arm, in heraldry, know that the left hand is SINISTER!

I can see civil unions a very neat way to tidy up a whole bunch of legal dilemmas that are created by having a whole bunch of limited legal avenues that are legally granted with the 'simple' act of a legal marriage. It creates an avenue for close, non-familiar (and even some distance familiar) relationships to have familiar rights, including in times of emergency & death..

If a spiritual community does not recognize a civil union, or a civil marriage, as Pam noted in her story with the Catholic church, then it is NOT a recognized institution for that spiritual community. It is up to the spiritual community to decide what their spiritual community will accept.... & what a religious community accepts should not have a bearing on a legal structure.... just a little part of the Constitution...

Kinda brings me back to the early 80's when I bought a second house with a kayak racing buddy, and a lot of folks we knew thought it was a good thing that we were not 'living in sin" with some guys.... and now the census would categorize this same situation as a same-sex partnership, and some of the same people would have had their panties in a knot over it, if we still owned that house together! Sometimes you just cannot please the folks!
Bula Bula! I've been reading the punaweb forums for years, it's a very informative (and sometimes entertaining) platform. I'm from Fiji and live in Hawaiian Acres. I have never posted anything because I didn't really have anything to say, but this thread made me register. I don't think this civil union bill goes far enough. I have been happily living together with my goat for six years and I believe our relationship should be recognized as well, regardless of some others approving it or not. Remember, don't judge so you won't be judged.