Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needing Wild Pig for Imu
Some folks say the sow tastes better than the boar, but we've eaten both and I haven't particularly noticed any difference in flavor. We do get all our pigs from the same area, though so perhaps location is more important than gender.

If you can, slaughter the pig a day or two before and keep it in a chill box. Aging the meat makes it more tender and flavorful. It is especially important with old beef, but it also improves chickens, pigs and other game birds.

Hey, KaphoCat, I've heard about that sort of trap before, although they just used a big plastic barrel. Those are harder to find than pigs, though.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
If anyone needs an animal slaughtered I could do it for you and teach a class for those interested. From slaughter prep, to slaughter, and butchering. I have done most animals: cattle, pig, goat, sheep, lamb, fowl, horse, deer, bear, rabbit and few exotics. I was trained by a jewish butcher, if that makes it kosher(joke, I dont have the official certificate but I have the training). Its a long story.

Young pigs are better meat, old boars and sows arent normally the best meat but arent bad. It is normally best to stay a hog before slaughter, even better if you temper it over its last month or weeks. My family always saves the deer and elk taken in the oak groves for special occasions as it was less gamely and more paletteable to those who never had venison. As to cooling a hog, as long as it cools for a day or two it should be fine, pork doesnt gain from aging as beef and lamb.

All that said there is a really good hog farm north or us in Hamakua its your best bet for a good hog. Is it wild no but is it easier and better tasting yes and a managable size. Dont get me started on people who thought they needed a half a slab of beef for a big barbeque. http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M3572

Gee, Jarid, you've mentioned it now. Inquiring minds want to know - what about people who thought they wanted half a slab of beef for a big barbeque?

Hmm, how long do you suppose it would take to roast an ox, anyway? Sometimes I read these novels that have an ox roasting at some sort of festive occasion and is that actually possible? You'd need a blacksmith to make the rotisserie and something hefty to turn it.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
To do a side of beef takes 18-24 hours or so, but this is lower heat and alot of smoke. I have only seen it do twice, once for a big famly reunion and once for a big party for a wealthy guy we knew in Scottsdale. After the party I think they had 1/3 the cow left and there were a ton of people there, but they also served alot of other foods and meats. The bbq co. tried to talk the party thrower to go for their all you can eat buffet but the owner wanted a show. The party started on Friday night and ended Sunday after lunch, the host put up 200 people for the night in hotels besides other guest that came to the party. Yeah it requires special rack and shelter and someone with know-how. There are a couple of bbq companies that will come out and do it for you for a price.

A whole ox, geez I would have to guess 36 hours. Of course many times the meat it carved off as it cooks. This would be direct heat grilling of sorts not bbq. I think you would need more than a blacksmith probably a good sized log as a spit.

In Argentina they skewer large pieces of beef, whole goats and sheep on poles then set them up in a tippee fashion and wrap with canvas, its similar to how you grill in Portugal on smaller skewers 3' that you press into the ground.

Nothing against Hawaiian pig, but my preference is a good Carolina style bbq pig.

Jared, I was in southern Argentina for two weeks in June and experienced that. Nearly all of their meat is cooked outdoors using that same indirect method, or a top-down kind of thing with the fire on a steel plate above the food. I've never eaten better.