Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Violence at Kea'au High School
What do you call 500 lawyers on the bottom of Hilo Bay?

A start...

Hey Glen, if you're practicing in Hawaii I'd like to talk with you about Home Depot and Thomasville cabinets.

Hey Brad, that will be $300. if he answers you.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
The rallying cry of the lawyer bashers has become Shakespeare's quote from Henry VI: "THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS."

Those who use this phrase pejoratively against lawyers are as miserably misguided about their Shakespeare as they are about the judicial system which they disdain so freely.

Even a cursory reading of the context in which the lawyer killing statement is made in King Henry VI, Part II, (Act IV), Scene 2, reveals that Shakespeare was paying homage to lawyers as the front line defenders of democracy.

The line is spoken by Dick the Butcher, a follower of anarchist Jack Cade, whom Shakespeare depicts as "the head of an army of rabble and a demagogue pandering to the ignorant," who sought to overthrow the government. Shakespeare's acknowledgment that the first thing any potential tyrant must do to eliminate freedom is to "kill all the lawyers".

My message to all parents is to band together and come up with some "either or's". They say there is safety in numbers. The same can be said of large numbers of concerned parents confronting the powers that be and giving them the choice; Come up with a safe environment for the children to get their education, or suffer the wrath and possible monetary expenses of lawsuits and criminal complaints being filed by that body of parents. Actively participating in the PTA or other meetings with school personel could result in possible solutions to this violence and bullying situations. More adults volunteering to walk the halls might be feasible. I don't know, nor do I profess to have the answers to this situation, but as a parent whose child will probably be attending this school in 4 years, I certainly am concerned about it. It might be that someone has to take the initiative here to get the ball rolling in the right direction. I do believe that the situation can be confronted head-on and proper steps implimented to ensure the safety of our children. But it will take the combined effort of "ALL" concerned parents to make happen. Count me in to actively do whatever it takes to reach that objective.
A concerned parent,
Chili

We get out of life......What we put into it
We get out of life......What we put into it
I don't think so! http://www.spectacle.org/797/finkel.html

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Anyone remember "Kill Haole Day"?

quote:
Mmmm...sad commentary for sure.

Made sadder yet by the fact that even the death of a child, full of goodness, full of potential, is apparently not enough.

http://starbulletin.com/2001/10/01/news/index.html

that article breaks my heart on so many different levels, for so many reasons.
I guess I will need to get some good pets to help guard the house/family.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
So glad to see this thread!
I too was very disturbed by this story and tried to call the parents to offer support but no listing for them.

Bullying in the schools is epidemic, so is racism, (see kill a haole day, as someone just mentioned.) Kids are angry and carrying on their cycle of family dysfunction: i.e anger with no positive outlets or expression. More art and music in the schools, and proactive presentations on bullying would help. I read a letter from one kid in the paper who said a good presentation on bullying made him really look at his own behavior and change! The schools need to get proactive on this before some kid gets killed! I believe this child was left for dead.

I'd like to see anger management and peacekeeping techniques taught in the schools, as well as peer counseling, which may already be offered.

Not a bad idea for those parents to go ahead w a court case and really make the DOE accountable. Until someone really pushes it this kind of unspeakable behaviour will go on - and those schools that kids are afraid to go to are financed with our tax dollars. Bad deal for us. And the court settlement will also be out of our tax dollars! So how do we stop this as a community?
Aloha-
L

da kine-

Liz Randol ®
Realty Executives Hawaii Brokers Inc. Hilo
www.liz-randol.com
www.liz-randol.com/spiritpath
http://vrbo.com/94689
kamaaina/da kine

Liz Randol ® lizr@aloha.net
808-965-9353

TYPICALLY TROPICAL PROPERTIES

www.liz-randol.com
www.liz-randol.com/spiritpath
I would just add a bit to the very good contribution made by Liz. The family should file criminal charges against the bully and file a civil suit agains the BOE. That would create consequences whether either action actually produced a favorable judgement. Does anyone know if this is being contemplated? The last I heard the culprit had been given a suspension of undisclosed length, and the principal was once again acting as if nothing had happened. It should be clear to any observer that something is very wrong with the administration of Keaau High.

Cheers,
Jerry