Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Cool Towards Proposed Park
That's why we need to make it a commercial enterprise. People who live on an acre don't need parks. Bulldozers, perhaps, but not parks.
I agree and disagree with Glen. I think a commercial center in HPP would be prudent given the size and population, etc. However, young people especially need a place to safely play. The HUI has only a small basketball court. Young people especially need access to things and places that keep them busy in positive activities.

I feel a park/playground and a commercial center is a good idea, but on the commercial side, much caution must be taken. I highly recommend to my fellow Punatics (especially in light of the recent "Woodless" Center) that any future commercial ventures be carefully scrutinized for sustainability. We are building a community that our children will have to live with long after we're gone. We must invest in ourselves!

So any commercial venture in HPP should be one that supports and utilizes local resources and helps to strengthen our local economy.
It should also not be a place that enables alcohol and cigarette consumption by minors! Also, as pointed out about the Woodland Center,
a commercial center in Hawaii should aesthetically give residents and visitors alike, a feel of being in Hawaii, versus looking like "any-corner,USA".
Commercial requires proper zoning for commercial. Until someone is willing to put up the money to change the zoning and develop the property, it’s a go nowhere idea.

A park is useful but consider that unless the County takes control and liability for it, whatever is build at the hands of an HOA, falls on the HOA to fund, build, maintain and assume liability. Does HPPOA have that money?

All the ideas are good, but where is the money to do them?
There is land zoned for commercial, and more land for park/recreation/education.
Regarding a site, they are definitely not mutually exclusive.
Would movement on a park or a commercial help leverage activity on the other?
The HPPOA Park Committee has done lots of work, including collecting some input from HPP residents about what is preferred. High ranked: covered pavilion with picnic tables; swimming pool; playground.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
All good James ... Please add a diving board, a REAL slide and a 400sq.ft. keiki pool for non-stop fun.

When was the last time any of you guys saw a bunch of kids playing organized Basketball on their own @ any of the local parks ????

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

There is land zoned for commercial, and more land for park/recreation/education.
If you have land that's been set aside for parks, what's the hold up, build the parks? Land cost is a major part of park development, however, you already have the land and it's already set aside for parks. All you need to do as a community is stop talking and start acting.

Same goes for commercial. I thought there was a whole lot of talk about lack of commercial zoning. If there is already commercial zoning in HPP, just develop the property and get the local businesses in that the people are asking for. Just like the parks, sounds like a lot of talking about wants and needs but no action to make it happen.

Now, if the real problem is commercial or park development cost, we're back to my question; where is the money coming from? If you want tax payer funding for your private development projects, you have to bow to the king and accept what the king offers. If you don't want to accept the king's terms, you need to reach into your own pockets and pull out your own coins.
Someone better check the provisions of the deed and the limitations that are clearly stated in the original conveyance, before any more speculation or people getting their knickers in a twist. Then move on to the alleged commercial zoning which is almost non-existent. Something about special use permits and lack of any need by the County to take it any further. Enlightenment is a good thing !!!!!
But if it’s already zoned "Commercial" a Special Use Permit would only be required if the desired use is outside commercial zoning. Unless some are mistaken and the land is actually zoned for another use, but the original intention of the lot was set aside for commercial purposes. That is not commercial zoning, just intended for commercial use.

If the zoning actually is "Commercial", develop it. But if this is the case, maybe no developer sees any value in spending money on a project with little or no return. Besides the zoning, you have to have someone with the money to finance the development project. If the zoning exists and developers aren't beating down the doors to propose projects, maybe they don't see the lot as viable for commercial development. You can't fault them for that.
There is acreage in HPP which is intended for commercial but I do not believe the zoning is in place at this time.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Most of hpp is zoned A-1. the 20 acre lots owned by the hoa have deed restrictions - can only be used for parks or schools. the other 20 acre lots are still owned by Watamull. saw one on the mls awhile ago for $1M