Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island Video News - Redistricting
Greg,
My understanding of how redistricting works is that there are a set of steps which have to occur everywhere in the United States, and then there is state and local law about how to get to the mandated goal of equal districts +/- a set deviation. The current deviation ceiling for Hawaii county is unusually high at 10%, the new deviation ceiling under Ford's proposal would be 4.9% which is more typical.

The reason for allowed deviations is to provide leeway when drawing up districts to work around geographical features or keep incorporated entities like cities intact as much as possible. Of course this has been abused in many cases, and districts have been drawn in weird shapes to shore up one party or the other's advantage. In Hawaii County's case, the current boundaries split Puna's representation into 3, one solely Puna and 2 others with sections of Puna added onto neighboring districts. From a geographical perspective those boundaries do not reflect the similarities and differences between various communities, and Ford's proposal mandates AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE that like communities with similar priorities be kept in the same district, and that districts be relatively contiguous and finally, the traditional Hawaiian political land divisions of the moku and ahupua'a be kept in mind as well. Under those rules it will be much harder for Puna's representation to be split up than it was last time, and Puna should see an increase in seats on the County Council, unless there really wasn't as much population growth in Puna as we all perceive, or unless Puna was massively under counted, which is possible.

Carol

Edited to add that this website:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15/15001.html

says Hawaii County had a 19.6% increase in population between 2000 and 2009, so unless there was a mass exodus in 2010 before the census count, or unless that increase mostly happened somewhere else (unlikely) Puna should show an increase of somewhere between 15 and 25%. This is my unscientific estimate made by applying my training as a geographer to what I see here in the landscape.

The other figure that caught my eye was the 23.1% of the population that was under 18 as of 2009.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Yeah Greg, The 4.9% is not a figure related to Puna's population growth. Since all nine districts are to be equally populated and doing to that an exact head count is impossible. The nine districts can only deviate, under Brenda's bill by no more than 4.9%.

I think that if one district comes in 4.9% under and another is 4.9% over the average (total population divided by nine districts) then the maximum departure would not exceed 10% overall. Currently it is set up where there might be a 20% differential.

Anyone want to be on the commission? Does everyone want commissioners that know what the word "gerrymandering" means?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Anyone want to be on the commission? Does everyone want commissioners that know what the word "gerrymandering" means?

This only my opinion...but based on the many posts I see on Punaweb, I think more challenging would be looking for people "who are able to work well with others, hear different points of view and work toward a consensus."
Quote taken directly from the Hawaii County News site; which was posted on November 15th last year.
http://www.hawconews.com/hawaii-county-n...panel.html

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Newman
"Vote with your money!"
Tribune:

The most important county commission in 10 years narrowly escaped beginning its work without its West Hawaii members -- a third of its membership -- due to missteps in Mayor Billy Kenoi's administration.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal03.txt
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
How in the world did they take that long to come up with nine names only to have three of them in the wrong district? Oh wait . . . this is the Kenoi administration. Nothing surprises me any more.