Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leilani Estates info, advise & suggestions please?
There is probably on the magnitude of a million times, more emission of hydrogen sulfide coming out of the volcano than from PGV everyday. Any "research" that claims that PGV is causing illnesses without taking the actual volcano emissions into account, is more than highly suspect.

Are there any residential communities that short a distance from a vent in the direction of the prevailing winds? Most emissions blow away from Volcano Village and Pahala is a lot farther away. (Pahala does have impact.)

Actually, most hydrogen sulfide and SO2 impact on human health research has been done in relation to industrial plants and not the volcano, so that sort of research has been around and is quite valid. There are also other geothermal plants as sources for health data.
That article from the Houston Chronicle is quite old and no longer accurate.
Al Dettweiler is mentioned in the article and he still lives there and is now the president of the HOA.

PGV currently doesn't emit much of anything.The H2S release was during a drilling accident and even then the H2S levels in Leilani Estates never reached dangerous levels.

The Volcano emits mostly SO2.The highest levels being recorded today are in Mountain View and even Hilo hit an alert level early this morning.

http://www.hiso2index.info/
We rented a place a couple years back, while ours was being drywalled. It was within earshot, about a block and a half away. We only noticed a dull drone sound which caught our attention after we had been there a few days. Like a freeway a quarter mile away. No smells. No appreciable impacts for us.

That further turned me towards a pro-geothermal inclination.

Dan
Thank you all so much for the information.
think we are too worried about being on top of an active rift zone to live there. Appreciate all the help.
Keeping on looking... probably back to looking in Orchidland and HPP.
THANKS again,

hawaiideborah
hawaiideborah
130 not being a cake walk either - touched upon in many posts -

me.... last thing I wanted to do was move to another place that had traffic congestion during peak hours

The issues with 130 or another access route will have to be solved if this area continues to build out

As it is today - many locals avoid the route / congestion if they can, it adds another half our to my trip planning if I have to go to town during peak traffic time