Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help...I need all of you to talk to me
Go with your heart. We are in the same boat. My husband is 60 and I am 50. We used to live in Orchidland had to move back to the mainland to deal with a family illness. We are close to moving back. Just sold one home this week and will put the second home on the market soon. It is hard to be so far from the kids and it is expensive for them to visit,at least from here on the east coast. But,you can't take money with you and the kids will find a way to spend it when you are gone so why not use it to make the rest of your life more enjoyable. The roughing it grows old very quickly. We lived in a shell for a while and it is not easy carrying water and using a portapottie and cooking everything on a grill. I dont recommend it for a long period of time. Why not start the permit process now, and rough it only for a short time. A dump truck needs maintainence, and you need a pit to haul from and you will be competing with locals who are probably related to pit owners and you will probably not get the best price on material to haul and you will have to charge more than locals and people are going to hire them. And if you cant do the work on the truck yourself you are going to go broke in repair fees. Take the money you have build a shell and live in it. If you run short land values keep going up you could always sell a lot off it needed. We feel that we belong there and the kids have finally accepted that. You deserve to be happy so think about it and then just jump in with both feet to whatever you decide to do. Best of luck

A little correction to the thought process from above.... The dirt and rock you haul comes from the local quarry and prices are not an issue. The final customer pays for the dirt/rock directly at the quarry and the dump truck driver charges seprately for his services. I hiured truckers to get rock and this is the local standard. Just information. Aloha.

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Thank you Lee. I appreciate your post to Nancy. Although I wanted to respond I felt not qualified to do so. Your opinion is well balanced and has a basis of a learned professional and my response would have been based on heart and emotion only. I like your conclusion and would like to say thanks, and hope to meet you and Nancy at a BBQ one day in that lovely garden state. One last thank you for stirring me to post again, as I had frankly given it up the Punaweb for lent, sanity, and the survival of my computer!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Didn't want this at the end either!

gardenwoman
gardenwoman
Thank you Gardenwoman, I did not have time to reposition all the topics.

Aloha,

Rob

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator