Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landscaping on lava
20 yrs ago, I had my property "ripped" for a future orchard. Back in those days we didn't know better in preserving the Hawaiian Forest. Although it was mostly the awfull invasive strawberry grava tree that was overrunning on my property. So it has been easier to plant citrus, and other fruit trees. Also for Kava "Awa" to be planted soon. The top part of the lava is cracked and you just pick out the larger lava pieces to make a hole. I found certain fruit trees will not bear fruit at this elevation, so before you buy, ask, "will this bear fruit at my elevation". It has been a costly and waste of time by not asking the proper questions. As was sold 2 mango trees which will grow just fine here, problem is, they will never bear fruit. Also, to share: Look carefully at your Ohia trees or any other tall trees on your property or neighbors. My neighbors 60 plus ft tall tree fell across my propery a few weks ago. And I am nervous as there are other very tall and very diseased trees aligning their property that can come down anytime. Plus, what do I do now with my neighbors tree on my property? Its huge. I'm very lucky it did not hit my house, water tank, or me. The Ohia trees are mostly growing above the lava, not much root system to anchor it. Particularly, when it gets too tall, it will easily fall. Just thought I'd share.

Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect
Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect
glenn, i believe the term is "blue rock". it is a very dense lava rock which is very hard for the dozers(even 9's)to rip into. sometimes you even have to blast it apart.

I would love for someone to go see how our plantings are doing on our newly cindered lots that we planted in May of this year. We are stuck here on the mainland for awhile but if someone would like to go see whats growing, our lots are at the northend of sandalwood on the east side, south of the house with all the equipment. If you see Jackie or Angie our neighbors, just tell them
Nancy asked you to come look. Pictures would be incredible if anyone is so inclined! Only if someone has the extra time...don't go out of your way!
Aloha,
Nancy

Thats Tiki Gardens next to Ainaloa....take Uilani north and then turn left on last road and then turn left and it will be on the left side, next to the house .

quote:
Thats Tiki Gardens next to Ainaloa....take Uilani north and then turn left on last road and then turn left on last road and it will be on the left side, next to the house .

Hello Landscapers,

I just wanted to make a comment regarding trucked-in materials (soil, mulch, etc.). It sounds like a good idea, and it used to be a good idea, but now-a-days you have to be very careful not to bring in materials that are contaminated with organisms or pests, or you will have bigger problems to deal with down the road.

You can very easily bring Coqui frogs (or the eggs of) with you whenever take materials from the transfer stations - especially Kea`au and Hilo. You can also bring a number of other pests that are bad for plants or people such as nematodes, stinging fire ants, and who knows what else.

Lava-scapes are beautiful. Depending on whether you have a`a or pahoehoe, (a`a is easier), all you need to do is make a hole and mulch the hole (with exisitng organic materials or bagged potting soil) to get your plants started. Native plants are very happy on lava and need very little care. It is the exotic, or non-native, or those plants not used to lava that require more soft soil and less rock.
Use native plants as often as possible, and avoid exotic species if you have no soil. Bringing the plants also brings the pests, so you really should check out your plant suppliers, and inspect plants really well before bringing them home. Go to the nursery or store at night - make sure you don't hear loud whistling coqui frogs. If you do hear them, notify the establishment that you won't buy plants there because of the problem, and ask them to be responsible and clean it up.

Good luck,
Kim

I have a place in Orchidland and the "blue lava" your talking about is harder than concrete. It comes apart in flat chunks, maybe 4 inches thick and about the size of a personal pan pizza. I'm a fit guy and it took me more than 3 hours of non stop pounding with a spiked end steel rod to get about an 18"X 18" hole(one hole). I worked my tail off to get that hole in the ground and pounded out four others. The idea of "raised beds" was mentioned to me by Pam's friend "Thunder" and I opted for the easy way out (raised beds). A jack hammer is the way to go when digging holes in Orchidland or at least an air chisel. I planted a few palms and I hope they take while I'm not around. Wish me luck !
Good luck Nate and good luck on your palms too. We look forward to our gardens in Eden Roc. A friend who has had a place in Fern Acres for 25 years told us that dynamite is used in some cases to get thru the lava. That is the only time I've heard this, perhaps others can expand on that idea. Was told small holes are drilled into the lava then a small charge is set inside the small holes and when they explode they break up the lava. Raised bed for the vegetables will be our route also.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
http://www.hiiakas.com/cgi-bin/journal2/journal.cgi?folder=journal2&next=13

Oh thank you Nancy for this reference. What a fine article and full of wonderful resources. I see you are dreaming, reading and searching like me. Hope to meet up one day on the garden isle! Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA