Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are Real Estate Prices in Puna Relatively Low?
Carol - the 7 yr itch??? LOL

I think we all go through the honeymoon into the its just another day in paradise stage.... to the thank god we live in paradise stage...

Just was looking at tornado photos... Our active lava flow looks a whole lot more benign after looking at the places affected by the tornadoes.

Gas is expensive, but then I remember I dont need to pay $5-10 to park anywhere every time we got out - (well except for that lot on Haili on Black and White night and its only $3!)

You can bet if there were beaches along red road, prices would be so much higher.

Also there is Puna's reputation as a wild and lawless place! Smile

I guess I'm one of those people who are planning to take advantage of the low prices and buy something in Puna. I'm currently in Alaska where we have a comparable cost of living and real estate. (Alaska is huge but very little land is available for private ownership) Our gas is about 40 cents per gallon cheaper but our food is more expensive. In Puna I won't have to buy heating fuel or ice melt. I don't know what an averge electricity bill in Puna is, but mine is about $400 a month and there isn't enough sun most of the year to even consider going off the grid.

Well be in Puna the week of July 4 to look at properties that have good potential to build a house on some day.
quote:

Well be in Puna the week of July 4 to look at properties that have good potential to build a house on some day.

Don't be afraid to look at existing houses as well. You may be surprises at what you can find these days. Here's a 1.22 acre lot in Lelani Estates WITH A HOUSE for under $100,000.

http://www.clarkhawaii.com/search?search[sort]=clark+DESC%2C+price+DESC&search[include_contingent]=true&search[mls_number_only]=true&view=list&search[query]=244129

Vacant lots are cheap, but they have to be cleared. Building a home can be expensive, time consuming and frustrating. Where are you going to live when it is being built? You might not have to be on the building site everyday, but I wouldn't advise you to oversee the building of the home long distance (Alaska).
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah
We are so very lucky to have chosen this special place.

...or, did the place choose you?

Smile
Smile
"... Here's a 1.22 acre lot in Lelani Estates WITH A HOUSE for under $100,000. ..."

Someone's losing a lot of money on that house!

Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

"... Here's a 1.22 acre lot in Lelani Estates WITH A HOUSE for under $100,000. ..."

Someone's losing a lot of money on that house!

Especially when you consider that they would probably $85,000 if offered.

What do you suppose the place was worth in 2006?
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Completely unsubstantiated guess: $275,000.

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

I don't know what an averge electricity bill in Puna is, but mine is about $400 a month and there isn't enough sun most of the year to even consider going off the grid.

When we lived on the San Mateo coast south of SF, our electric bill was under $200. Two years later here in Puna, it's $300+. And that's with no AC or heat. It's not just from high rates, it's from the fact that it costs $$ for the electricity to pump water from catchment or well. Sometimes people forget about the fact a lot of us need electricity to flush the toilet.
In June of 1990 - my water bill (2 mo bill) in So Cal was $350.00 adjusted for inflation that would be $527.35 today. That is more than 2 mo of Helco today.

My water bill in Puna - $0.00

Why are prices low in Puna? People are lazy.

They want all their creature comforts at their finger tips. But Puna isnt that way - you may or may not get cable. You may or may not have paved roads. You may not be 1 mile from a store. You may have to do your own small to 20 acre yard or more. You may or may not have electric or water to your doorstep.

New to forum; really appreciate all the genuine comments & expertise.
Anyway, my wife & I have visited several times and love the area. Looked seriously at a retirement home back in February, that had been on the market more than a year. Unfortunately, by the time we returned home, the house had been sold; at $40,000 over listing price.
Now, for my question: would not a similarly situated (and quality) house be priced at least 4X higher in Kailua-Kona or on just about any of the neighbor Islands (with the exception of Molokai)?
http://bigisland.gurure.com/details.php?M0=228791&SearchType=MLSNUM&MyPropertyType=1