Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying used shipping containers (again)
Aluminum is subject to corrosion. I speculated that acid vog prevents corrosion here and I like to think one the smarter punawebsters confirmed it.[Wink]

If I recall correctly the 45ft aluminum weigh 6000 lb. 20ft steel is 4000lb and 40 ft steel is 8000 lb. Important consideration for the trucker.
Mahalo Terra and everyone!
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
Since I started this thread, I thought I would post "the end" of the story.

I wound up buying a used shipping container from "Big Island Container Sales and Rentals" at 981-0805. Kimo was very helpful.

I spent hours and hours researching the prices of used shipping containers. They are very expensive on the Big Island because demand is high. As I spent a year looking for "the best deal" the prices on containers went up about 15%. I should have spent less time researching and more time buying. Long story short, we bought a 40 foot used cargo shipping container (a high cube) for $4995. It wasn't the most expensive one we found, but it was in a little better shape than the slightly cheaper ones. It cost a little over $400 to get it delivered. Considering it took about 90 minutes to get it from the road onto concrete blocks on our land I think it was a bargain. The 40 foot container sat on a 50 foot trailer, and the semi truck in front of that. Altogether it's over 65 feet. Getting that through our tiny driveway gate, through our twisting driveway, and onto the designated space on soft, unpaved ground was no easy task. The driver also spent a lot of time helping us get the thing up (and level) onto concrete blocks. He was a rockstar, and we tipped him $20.00 cash. I would have tipped him more but it was all I had on me. The trailer had a moveable axle, allowing the driver to make unusually tight turns with little space. Even so, getting this thing delivered was like threading a needle with a semi truck. The truck had to go back-and-forth a LOT to get it into place, with each trip tearing up the land more and more. By the time it was done the beautiful lawn was turned into a mud pit. But, lawns grow back...
Who did the delivery for you, Terra? $400 fr. where to where? Mahalo.
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI

It was delivered by Conens. I believe the exact price after tax was $411.14 (plus the tip). From 16-216 Mikahala Street (Keaau) to our place near Volcano.

I didn't know what is a "good" price for something like that. I did find a place selling containers in Chicago that charges $500 for delivery "within 20 miles" of the yard.
I bought a 40 foot hi top on Craigslist for $4300 in great shape. You have to watch and be first to call they go fast. Some of the ones I have seen at X Island Container look like they have had a liquid over haul. Some of the ones I have looked at were junk.
There was a display of conx boxes on the side of Walmart the last time I was there 6 months ago. They had a 25 ft one- I'd like to see more of those!
There's an industrial lot for sale. It looks like it comes with 23 containers. The MLS information can be found below. It's possible that they are willing to liquidate some containers cheap.

http://web08.hawaiiinformation.com/REsearch/HIS/Search/search_MLS.asp?SRC=EXT&STRM=MLS&KEY=251081&DFRM=mls&P=72214451&CF=1
terracore, how can you tell there are containers on the property from the form?

Carrie
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I'm on Harry Pritikin's daily "Big Island" email real estate digest, and that was in the comments section for this property.