Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
All the OAK-HNL flights in late March seem to be completely sold out already, even business class. I find that hard to believe, could it be that they just haven't released them for sale yet?

Good catch macuu222!
Yes it is very hard to imagine anyone buying a business seat on southwest. They're called "business select" and it gives you priority boarding, a free drink, and extra frequent flier miles. However, you still get a standard economy seat and business fares are around $250-$300 or more each way. Not worth it in my book.
Too bad they won't have anywhere to stay.

They can stay somewhere that's not near my house.
My guess is Southwest frequent flyers are going to be using frequent flyer miles to fill many "business" seats in the first few months

Hilo may be added by june / july according to what i have read
Aha, thanks Bullwinkle, that could explain the lack of even business class seats, but strange they disappeared so quickly.
Too bad they won't have anywhere to stay.

I would assume some $49 ticket travelers won't want to spend $400 a night at a hotel, so look for a new segment of tourist accommodations in the minivan-vacation-rental market. Parked at night in front of houses owned by people who complained about an Airbnb next door.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Yes it is very hard to imagine anyone buying a business seat on southwest. They're called "business select" and it gives you priority boarding, a free drink, and extra frequent flier miles. However, you still get a standard economy seat and business fares are around $250-$300 or more each way. Not worth it in my book.

Really? That's a joke- worst example of business class ever.

Maybe business fares have been discounted too. I'm doubting people are burning up miles to fly in those seats when the standard fare is so cheap, sobriety notwithstanding.

And let the fare wars begin. The other airlines just announced rock bottom deals to Hawaii. Example Kona to Las Vegas $275 roundtrip on American.!!

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/deal-aler...3O4L4lW570
I love capitalism.
Just checked Hawaiian Airlines inter-island fares. They matched Southwest on all routes. My wife and I can fly from Kona to Honolulu in May for $115.00 total for the two of us. Tried the same thing out of Hilo and it was over $400.00. With that amount of savings...it's worth the drive. Southwest....the way it's set up now...will not be a dedicated inter-island airline like Hawaiian. ... It's an inter-island shuttle service for their Trans-Pacific flights, with HNL being the main station.