Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inbound missle from N. Korea alert.
Incredible. The poor guy who pressed the button ACTUALLY THOUGHT IT WAS FOR REAL. Apparently, the night shift supervisor decided to test the incoming day shift. He did open the incoming call with "Exercise, exercise, exercise", which is fine, but the guy missed that part. Look, I've done drills before. Part of the gig is that you END EVERY SENTENCE with the phrase "THIS IS JUST A DRILL" or somesuch, and YOU TAKE OUT THE PHRASE "THIS IS NOT A DRILL". I vote for firing management.
I dont know how many people "work" for hawaii civil defense, but it seems like it could be an automated system.

In my mind I picture a dozen people in an office sitting on their rump playing games on the internet.. and once in a while they draw straws to see who gets to push the button for HIGH SURF WARNING.. or FLASH FOOD ADVISORY. or whatever cockamamy notice they want to send.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
how many people "work" for hawaii civil defense... could be an automated system

I think it's like the fire department. The workers spend a lot of time prepping, waiting, etc, but (hopefully) they're available when you need them.

As bad as this was, can you imagine if an automated system malfunctioned? Without someone on site to see the error, and know who to contact, it could be a lot worse than waiting 30 minutes to find out it was a mistake.

What if in the future an automated A.I. system at another agency, say the Air Force picks up the alert and a computer there has to decide whether or not to use the information as credible input in a missile launching scenario? Would one computer accurately compute the probability of another computer making an error?

Percentage change in the level of glyphosate, an herbicide, in Americans’ urine since 1993 : +1,200. Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
They have just released the name of the day shift supervisor who "was not prepared to supervise the morning test": Barney Fife
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

They have just released the name of the day shift supervisor who "was not prepared to supervise the morning test": Barney Fife

The report I read stated the supervisor's name as Homer Simpson

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
It keeps getting more bizarre !

"The worker, who was fired Friday and whose name has not been revealed, has confused real-life events and drills in the past, the state said in a report. His poor performance has been documented for years, and other members of the team say they were not comfortable working with him in any role."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/human-error-i...53888.html
People have resigned and been fired.

There is another story being told here:

"Worker who sent Hawaii missile false alarm believed threat was real."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wor...as-n842666
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
There is another story being told

Exactly: there are now so many different versions that the truth will be difficult to discern.
While it might be reassuring that consequences have resulted in this case for catastrophically poor job performance on the part of one or more state or county workers, just remember that it took scaring the bejeezus out of hundreds of thousands of people and world-wide press ridicule for it to happen. The day in, day out incompetence, favoritism, and malfeasance will go on just like always.
confused real-life events and drills in the past... poor performance has been documented for years, and other members of the team say they were not comfortable working with him in any role."

The last time I tried to renew my drivers license, I first checked online what info was required, then called ahead to confirm, only to have a worker at the counter say I needed additional ID. My impression:
I was "not comfortable working with him (her) in any role."

When I had some business to conduct at the real estate tax office:
I was "not comfortable working with him (her) in any role."

When Hawaii state workers (or county) carry out their job performance in an uninformed manner, or in the case of this HEMA worker with potentially and incompetently dangerous actions, it would seem the broken cogs in Hawaii's well greased government employee machine become far more apparent as their actions impact a million people almost instantaneously, rather than an individual citizen, unobtrusively one at a time.

Percentage change in the level of glyphosate, an herbicide, in Americans’ urine since 1993 : +1,200. Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves