Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauna Loa erupting
"The subject was quickly changed and avoided."

What would they talk about.

The USGS has the position that no building or improvements should be done in zone 1 and 2.

The county should quit issuing building permits in zone 1 and zone 2. What's the chance of that happening ?
(12-11-2022, 12:31 AM)Obie Wrote: "The county should quit issuing building permits in zone 1 and zone 2?

It's bad enough we have to "show our papers" to board a flight.

Assuming that we are adults willing to make our own educated decisions and accept the consequences, what role should the county have in deciding what lava zone we are allowed to build on if one legally owns the property and access to it?  If they want to quit issuing building permits then GREAT.  Get out of the way.  That means no enforcement.

(If the next topic is going to be "services" then it should also include "taxes", private roads, public access... etc to infinity).
(12-11-2022, 12:31 AM)Obie Wrote: The USGS has the position that no building or improvements should be done in zone 1 and 2.

They do? Really? 

I thought they're more in the business of interpreting the dangers, not so much saying anything about who should or shouldn't do what and all that other stuff. But hey, ya never know..

Got a link?
I read that maybe a long time ago .

Here is how they present it now in our new enlightened age.

https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/hazards
Thanks, AaronS
Volano Activity Notice reduced to a Watch from a Warning given the lack of eruption activity so circling back on a couple topics.

terracore - what role should the county have in deciding what lava zone we are allowed to build on if one legally owns the property and access to it?

How does one own the access as well as the property? We all depend on public roads to some extent (unless your other car is a helicopter) and the standing question is if it is wise to invest these public funds in roads through lava prone environments. Please explain how this "get out of the way"/"no enforcement" approach works - folks from Kapoho would probably like to know.

MyManoa - BTW.. I am not convinced the tremor signal is clear, free from atmospheric influence.. and as such that sudden drop earlier this morning could be the wind speed dropping below a certain threshold as much as it might be a marked decrease in actual tremor..

Curious as to what led to this addendum - what thresholds might be involved and why this confounding factor is/isn't also gathered at the data source and factored in. Any explanation or pointers to readings on this are appreciated!
Curious how Kilauea quit too isn’t it?
"terracore - what role should the county have in deciding what lava zone we are allowed to build on if one legally owns the property and access to it?

How does one own the access as well as the property? "

Obviously I meant, "has access to it". And by that I mean, "legal access".
To the best of my knowledge a parcel of private land cannot legally be landlocked without access. There must be a road access or an easement providing rights of access across adjoining properties.
Kilauea didn't quit, she's just resting.