Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Airlines - announcement coming..
Alaska airlines flies all 737-800 max planes to the islands

Different planes. Alaska has ordered some of the MAX jets but haven't put them in service yet.

Edit: Furthermore, Alaska changed their order for the MAX 8, the aircraft in question, to the MAX 9 awhile back. The 9 is a bigger plane.
all the MAX aircraft share the same configuration ...to stretch the 737 to " MAX " the engines were moved forward and up on the wing ....Boeing added software (mcas)to compensate for the engineering .....more concerning is the fact the Ethiopian first officer had 200 hours of flight time ....the F.O. normally handles the flying duties ....I would not fault the aircraft just yet....I think its safe to assume U.S. airline operated flights of the 737 have more seasoned crews aware of the MAX mcas system function
Southwest operates 737-800's.

Their Max planes aren't certified for ETOPS yet .
The planes aren't certified for flying over the Pacific? That's good news for the time being, for a couple reasons I can think of.

Worst case scenario would be that the planes are grounded and SW must delay some of their service to Hawaii. They're already operating these aircraft on the mainland and are heavily invested in getting a lot more in service this year.
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

all.I think its safe to assume U.S. airline operated flights of the 737 have more seasoned crews aware of the MAX mcas system function..

56 minute training course on an Ipad. That's what an American Airlines pilot said on NPR this AM. I would imagine Ethiopian airlines pilot took the same course.
I think if Hawaiian Air wants to keep their market share and customer base, they would immediately slash their Hilo inter island fare. Get a leg up on reality as I am angry that since Aloha Air was forced into bankruptcy, we in Hilo have been thumbscrewed by their un-fare, pun intended, pricing. I have been wanting to go see my Great Nephew in Oahu for a year now, but refuse to pay the same amount as mainland to fly 45 minutes. This is BS
Here Here!! [Wink]
slash their Hilo inter island fare

No need, Southwest doesn't fly there, so no competition.

Never forget that you're not a tourist flying to Hawaii...
I would not fault the aircraft just yet....I think its safe to assume U.S. airline operated flights of the 737 have more seasoned crews aware of the MAX mcas system function

Yes, but are you hip to how much concern the pilots really have?

In a Rachel Maddow segment that can be seen here:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watc...6981571906

Rachel Maddow reports on worldwide concerns about potential safety problems with the Boeing 737 MAX 8 and why perceptions of Donald Trump as compromised by poor judgment and susceptibility to manipulation have undermined the authority of the FAA and isolated the United States.

In this segment there is some troubling information about how concerned US pilots really are. There have been several documented reports of prior events by US pilots, and the Trump administration is actively covering it up.

Also, in the NY Times...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019...lines.html

It is now reported that..

Roughly two-thirds of the 737 Max 8 aircraft in the world have been pulled from use by airlines and aviation regulators after the model crashed twice in just five months. An estimated 6,000 of the 8,600 flights that use the plane in a typical week of travel were affected, according to an analysis based on data from Flightradar24, a flight tracking service.

The only known planes still flying

Southwest Airlines 34
American Airlines 24
Air Canada 24
WestJet 13
Jet Airways 5
Mauritania Airlines 1
SCAT 1

Grounded flight estimates are as of 1 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday. Source: Flightradar24 and aviation authorities.

And I wonder.. how many here are going to get on a 737 Max 8 before this is resolved?

Watch the Rachel Maddow segment.. it's an eye opener as to how political this is...