Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauna Loa erupting
Pele's expressing her wicked sense of humor seeing thousand's of tourists come to the Big Island upset because there is no lava to see.
Hmmm. No lava flowing at all concerns me. Hope it's not building up somewhere close to Puna.
(12-13-2022, 09:51 AM)TomK Wrote: So what is your opinion on both the Mauna Loa and Kilauea eruptions becoming quiet at the same time?

Moi? Gee, if it was halloween I'd be wondering about ghosts, and since I doubt there's any percentages in it for turkeys, or Santa, I have to fall back on the good ol' tried and true, I have no idea. 

I like the idea of Mauna Loa relaxing and Kilauea relaxing too, and the result was the little bit of change needed for the magma column at Kilauea to drop below the surface. Sorta like they're living, breathing and changing in sympathy of each and every nuance.. you know, alive. 

But really, I have no stand up and shout it from the mountain tops idea.. other than to imagine the research yet to be done to answer that very question.

What do you think?
I'm recalling the many interviews from the first days of the 2018 eruption: "And when asked (your question here) the scientists shrugged". "The scientists shrugged" has become our go to phrase about any unexplained natural phenomena. I think that's where we are now.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Maybe the Big I has a 3rd 'nipple' that we don't know about...
Who wins the pool for predicting the time length of this eruption?
Big I has a 3rd 'nipple' that we don't know about...

Loihi?  Not only underground, but underwater.
And 50,000 years away from becoming land. BTW, it's not Loihi any more. That was too easy to remember. Now it's Kama'ehuakanaloa.
Certainty will be the death of us.
(12-13-2022, 11:51 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Big I has a 3rd 'nipple' that we don't know about...

Loihi?  Not only underground, but underwater.
And not considered part of Big Island, right?
A David Attenborough site on FB mentioned the other day that the Pacific plate moves approximately the same speed as our fingernails grow. This is a nice way of thinking about it.
(12-13-2022, 07:40 PM)MyManao Wrote: What do you think?

That the two volcanoes are connected and share their source of magma.