Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii."
" . . . dry for the next one, two or 3 weeks." Now that's what I call hedging your bet by "predicting" with a variance of three times from minimum to maximum duration. And only in Puna would three dry weeks be considered a drought.
(01-14-2024, 02:34 AM)ChunksterK Wrote: " . . . dry for the next one, two or 3 weeks."  Now that's what I call hedging your bet by "predicting" with a variance of three times from minimum to maximum duration.  And only in Puna would three dry weeks be considered a drought.
It's very difficult to forecast beyond about 10 days.  Sometimes there is a strong signal for a change in weather within two weeks, in which case a forecaster could be a bit bolder!  The take way for me was that there is a decent chance it will be relatively dry for the next three weeks.

3 weeks of dry-maybe more?  There are a few other places I can think of where that would be considered unusually dry, either this time of year in particular or for another season.
This is the worst. Drought. Ever.
Ha! I forgot about this. Yeah, itʻs so dry that our new catchment captured 6000 gallons of water in five days. And our visitors fled to the Kona side.
Hey... good news on your new tank filling up though!

Honestly, I could use a short break from the precipitation. The extended forecast doesn't look promising.
From this thread a few pages back, posted in mid December:

forecasters expect it to continue for the next several months, with a 62% chance of lasting through April­–June 2024

It appears we’re in the 38% chance of the dry weather not lasting until April.
March is typically the second wettest month of the year for Hilo. The NOAA 90 day forecast will be updated in about a week.
In February they were sticking with the 60% chance of below normal precipitation through May.
I think I'm to blame. If I hadn't had our leaking catchment tank liner replaced the drought would have continued.

I guess I'm looking at this with the "catchment tank half empty" point of view. If we never had the drought, I wouldn't have known about the leak until it got worse.
Drought map:

[Image: 432277570_7401894433190503_7909953591346...e=65FDB56B]
Why don't we start a 2024 hurricane thread instead of using this old busted thread?