Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Mr. Wolf, won't you please sit down?
quote:
Originally posted by Buffy Chick

New member here. I have been living on the island for about
17 years now. Upon reading this thread I find I agree a lot with Jay's view of our future. I have a question however. I am wondering what you are all doing to build community.
Have you ever met in the real world ?
Do you have a plan beyond growing food in each of your own forts ?

The kind of community that will survive will work together.

Plant food ....NOW

Aloha Buffy Chick!

Welcome to Punaweb! Wanna do lunch on Wednesday and discuss planting sweet potatoes, blue potatoes and yams? Smile

The Puna folks have get togethers now and then, occasional scuba swims, too.

A hui hou!

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson
In a continuing quest for a sustainable community that can feed itself, we have been telling folks about the crazy guy up in the forest growing mounds of sweet potatoes and taro. Folks have been rather excited and I know of two new potato/taro patches directly caused by telling folks about Jay's patch.

Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson

Drought stress in some areas and flooding in other areas accompany climate change and all of it has an economic analogue in land prices --including in Puna-- and food prices.

Sadly, this month it is reported over 1,500 farmers have committed suicide in a region of India called Chattisgarh because of drought destroying their crops.

1,500 farmers commit mass suicide
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...69018.html

Water is non-negotiable; people must have water in order to live. This must have demographic and economic implications for Puna if indeed broad portions of the interior, great plains, and desert southwestern USA (including Las Vegas/Los Angeles) increasingly experience more and more severe drought stress in years to come, as has been predicted.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

A pleasant slideshow: http://www.thejoymovie.com

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Question- Does anyone know of a site or sites which have a summary of weather and climate data for Hilo/Pahoa/Volcano similar to the summary for Oahu at
Average and Extreme Weather Conditions Hawaii
http://www.hawaiiss.com/weather/wx10.htm

Please do make mention, if so.

Yesterday in an email msg sent to a friend in Indianapolis, Indiana, I mentioned there have been more bright warm sunny days in Alaska so far in just May and June, 2009, than in all the rest of the last three years combined. She wrote back saying:

I think we've been getting your rain this spring/summer. I can't remember this many storms and rain this time of year. We've had some real doozies too. One of the hail storms earlier this month pretty much trashed our house - holes in siding, privacy fence splintered, concrete drive & patios chipped, wood trim dented & paint scraped off, and our new garage door dented. Then lightening hit our house or something nearby and fried the air conditioner, water heater & all electrical outlets on our east wall - luckily it didn't burn the house down! The hail storm was during rush hour after work so my car got it too. And just for the fun of it God has tossed in six 90+ degree days this week. I"m starting to take it personally :-) I could handle a few hikes in the snow or glaciers in Alaska right now!

Interesting. People's minds do turn toward thoughts of elsewhere, including moving elsewhere, when where they are locally the weather and climate-related weather events become oppressive.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

You, my friend, are purely drumming up trouble.

Yes, of course, I have all of that, and have access to the park library. Discussing all that here isn't appropriate, and I respect that.

I think it's interesting, in a lot of ways to look over the development of this message thread, as it's almost exactly a year old today, and--well. Views have changed. The primary premise was that we needed to build community AND we lacked the skills to do so. Does any of this explain or dis-explain a lot of stuff?

The only critic anyone needs care about is history.

Otherwise, since pimping is all the rage. . .

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/forum/

Let me state for the record I don't believe in factionalism. It's vastly more effective to join a movement than to try to start one. This was a primary fear of mine a year ago, and why I decided for so long to avoid starting another forum. I fear divide and conquer. Rightly so. It's a real threat in progressive circles for sure. Still, I believe that the groundswell of progressive change has moved beyond, perhaps far beyond, some of the topics relevant, or permitted, here on punaweb. Personally I would have rather that punaweb remained the calling card for the voice of puna. This would have been better for Puna, and more efficient, but that didn't prove to be the case. Things have fractured, and I've personally contributed to that, but I hope so constructively. Pointedly, I don't claim that my forum speaks for the "community." It speaks for a firmly established perspective on the community, not the community as a whole. This perspective has a great deal of tradition here in Hawaii, and elsewise makes a great deal of progressive sense. This is important, really. This will either be validated or disproved as we all move along.

Anyway, understanding, empathy and comprehension as we tumble into a new future.
I don't think "splitting" the community in this case is a negative thing at all.
SS in my opinion is right on time. After all, times are undoubtedly changing around us, and the ways we employ to keep our lives healthy and whole will need to change also, as a result.

Puna Web gracefully hosts a slew of topics relevant and necessary to understanding the lifestyles available in Puna, which would not necessarily find home or feed at sensiblesimplicity.

The topics at SS center around a very different type of conversation, overall asking it's member participation for very different results.
Thus, I look at PW and SS like sister sites.
One benefitting the other without much drain, EACH providing aptly for the multi hued aspects of our daily concerns.

There's a lot to realize, learn and act on- where we are today, July 25 2009- for what tomorrow may prove to present us.

IMHO, community of any sort aiding to grow our investment in one other as neighbors, is very valuable. We're on an island after all. Wink No matter what venue it's found at.
As long as it stays positive and progressive for both.
Am I alone in not really understanding what the last two or three posts are about? Lots of very strange language, splintered thoughts and a fair degree of incoherence? I think the last question was whether there are meteorological records for Hilo and Puna. I know there are some for Hilo, (NWS, Hilo airport, but don't have a link right now) but don't think there is anything for Puna.
Am I alone in not really understanding what the last two or three posts are about?

You are not entirely alone, TomK, as I agree about diversity in community being a good, overall, but some of the rest is a bit mildly baffling for me, too.

My intention with the last question and comment was not to open some sort of notorious controversy. I thought anything bearing on Puna was legit for discussion on Punaweb and am certainly not trying to stir anything up or prod forbidden topics. Is this one? The weather?

I do not have much time these days, alas, so only open and read a very few discussion threads on Punaweb (or elsewhere, either). Probably a great deal happens of which I am completely unaware (for instance, I just recently gathered from something someone posted that Damon Tucker is banished from Punaweb, if I understood correctly. I did not know this and have no idea what is going on with that if indeed it is so -again not saying this to stir anything up but rather to indicate just how far out of the loop I am at times on some types of issues). Has the discussion in the Wolf thread gone into a taboo territory? It is all unwittingly, if so.

I appreciate the other non-Punaweb forums which exist, such as the Sensible Sustainability forum, but see each of those as being more a special focused interest group, or sub-set, or committee of the larger Puna community than as a splinter or faction. There is an implication of opposition in the latter terms which I've been oblivious to if indeed any such antipathy is actually present at all. IMHO, diversity is a good thing; adds all sorts of resiliency and enrichment to a community.

This would not be the first time it has happened if there has been a big change of some sort (as in Punaweb policy) and I've been oblivious to it; I usually seem to be the very last person to become aware of some types of news.

The question really was asking about best sources of lower to upper Puna weather data showing temperature and rainfall patterns over a span of decades; links toward this would be appreciated. The comment about weird weather in both Alaska and Indiana was to suggest anecdotal evidence toward a mechanism via which I think we can expect to see increasing migration within the US population -with some portion of that anticipated movement being away from areas experiencing water shortages & extreme storms and toward Puna. This, of course, has huge implications for everything from Puna land values to infrastructural development (e.g., road capacity), eventually achieving food and energy self-sufficiency on the Big Island, the cultural fabric of Puna and Big Island society, and so on.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

As long as people feel that the conversation is complementary and constructive, it's fine with me. My intent with any of this is to build community, not be divisive.
TomK, I was responding to Jwfitz.

I'd read the 18 pgs of conversation previously but as it came up yesterday I responded to the last post- which I had something to say about.
In context it makes sense. Wink

Have a good one sir.