Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th
I still not sure I get having/wanting commercial activities on a taxpayer subsidized property (Village Green) and maintaining non profit integrity.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
quote:
Originally posted by terry.way

I read "community"
I think you’re misunderstanding the word “community”.

Replace community, neighborhood, and village with the word “in the area”. These centers are neither owned by the community or subject to community governance. They can be privately owned by Joe Puna Local or Mega Corp USA. They are MIXED USE zoning that otherwise would not be allowed under current zoning. Basically they are mixed use operations near or within populated areas to meet the COMMERCIAL style needs that otherwise would require rezoning or Use/Special Use permitting.

Do not Fool yourself into thinking these “community” whatever’s are limited to operations like SPACE. If I want to open a small store selling fruits and vegetables imported from South America at ½ the cost of local goods, there is absolutely nothing the community could do to stop me. If I got Monsanto to open a store selling their GMO seeds at a fraction of what could be sold by some community person, the community cannot stop me. If I opened a store selling imported sweet-shop handmade housewares at a fraction of the cost of what some local craftsperson could sell it for, there is absolutely nothing the community could do to stop me. And if the center’s use allows a restaurant, there is nothing the community can do to stop me from opening a McDonalds Grab-N-Go. So long as I stay within the permitted uses, size, design and lighting of the center, the community can shove their sing-a-long up their collective community …….
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts
there is absolutely nothing the community could do to stop me.
Well, people could, like, not buy anything from there.

McDonalds works at intersections, where people flow through Kea'au on the way to Hilo. It ain't gonna work one mile up the road on the Loony Loop.

Kathy, good point; I can stop doing that. Interesting juxtaposition, this forum software put 'Punatic' right below your name.
I would say that the phrase village center is a geographic thing primarily. It would allow a village or community to make decisions on the scale and location of business opportunities and community needs. The designation of village center would be useful in planning infrastructure to a approved area to support the intended uses. But Bob is right. If you indicate a commercial zone you will not in fact have any or much approval on the businesses that root there. You might acquire a fine local bakery or you might acquire a KFC.

There are two types of village centers at this time. Real ones and imagined ones. Real ones already have established themselves to some degree or another. Pahoa now seems to have two centers: and old town center and a new town commercial center. Pahoa's old town center is a mix of schools, business, residential, recreation, affordable housing, police and community facility. Pahoa's new commercial center seems to be strictly commercial with a small government presence.

Those areas which the PCDP suggests a potential yet undeveloped village center(s) have a pretty blank page on which to draw. As far as Seaview goes I have been aware that there are things the Seaview C.A. has been against. A mention of public restrooms on the entry green is apparently not a happy thought with the Seaview Community Association. Though public restrooms on the red road would appear to be useful and of good purpose. That issue alone, what facilities to have or not have in the form of park space and facilities can generate a lot of differing views. No one has discussed that yet.

It is not inappropriate for SPACE to consider village center language any more than it would be inappropriate for anyone else to. I have encouraged Graham to make sure that these types of proposals provide full opportunity for everyone in Seaview to provide input. Nothing would prevent Seaview from considering or proposing one or more areas for one or more types of use. Eventually those assembled ideas and village center proposals will have to make their way into and through the county processes.... and that will provide another level for input.

Best luck to everyone in sorting it all out. Seaview and Puna in general have some advantage in that because the district has been so neglected for so long that there is a cleaner slate to work from. Take that advantage and use it. It's much better than trying to design around an old arsenic mine in the center of town(I've seen that).
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I just find it odd that a meeting was planed for community input to figure out the guide lines for SUP renewal and a day before the meeting we here on punaweb are informed that Village Center is the goal. Do the residents know the goal has changed? I guess they will know tomorrow. Do we choose the lessor of two evils or neither. Please no surprises
Akahai, There is a lot of second hand news here. More will be known tomorrow. It all takes time and little by little gets done.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Will do Thanks Rob.

McD's in Seaview .... build it and they will come.
Eureka!!!!

I got it!!!

Terry and Bob,Graham and Rob conspired to scare the poor residents with

this monster of commercial/industrial MacVillage so if given a choice they

would beg to get the African Drumming back!!![Big Grin]

Brilliant!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Quote:" I don't think people would like it if I made Puna into something derogatory and posted it. "
___________________________________(Kathy)__________________________________

Yes, There is no Pun in Puna!
[Wink]
(Greg)

When MacVillage centers will be all over the place
Puna can be called Kuna[Big Grin] .