Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House hunters shot at in HA
Most subdivisions here are not residential, but are AG zoned....and the fact that gun owners are not allowed, by law, to fire a gun in a residential area does not stop gun owners from firing guns, even in areas within the residentially zoned areas of Hilo & Keaau....

I do know that some of the gunshots in my residentially zoned neighborhood are hunters (yes there are feral pigs, goats, chickens & such even in the residential zoned areas (where they are not, by law, allowed, but the ferals do not go by the lawbooks!)....so some shooting is that, but some - probably shots just to shoot off!
Did I hear correct, this bastard shot at a car with little kids in it.
I don't care if he didn't know they were in there. He needs to be put
were the sun don't shine!
When I first saw that video I was a bit freaked out by it. Then, on my way home today, I heard a story about cars being broken into in my current neighborhood. As I drove I remembered that a friend of ours had been robbed by a guy who said he had a gun (she works as a bank teller a couple miles away from our house). It turned out to be a crack addict. They were trained to just hand over the money. The robber was apprehended about half a mile away on foot by the police. Last year a man was shot down by the railroad tracks. Turned out it was his partner in a grow op who shot him. As I thought about this I realised that to an outsider, these things might sound quite disturbing, but as a local, I wasn't concerned. About 30 miles from here, there was a grow op in the woods and several people hiking through the area were shot at by those running it. It was a very bad move on their part as that drew the attention of the police and they were busted. I'm pretty sure they receieved more jail time for the firearms offences than the grow op.

I think I live in a very safe place. Most days I don't lock my doors when I go out, yet these things happen. Oh, and I do go out in the bush for target shooting or hunting, but so far out that nobody is going to hear anything in any residential neighbourhoods.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Well, I think it is a mistake to compare your mainland neighborhood stats to Puna.
Instead, compare Puna to Puna.

I think residents ARE concerned about this stuff. In recent months, some weird sh** has gone down in various subdivisions, a fair amount of it, that seems unusual to me.

I think the Big Island is safer than where I came from in most ways. I moved here from an area that was not far from areas where major crimes were common, from the border of East Oakland. However, I knew which streets were safe to drive down and which were dicey. This random stuff is more worrisome.

In this decade, there has been a presumption in Puna that things are getting safer, even moving towards a form of gentrification (but still rural). So I think it is a matter for concern when more violent crimes start happening.
My wife found a site with statistics for communities - all sorts of things, but one of the stats was crime. It rated communities on a scale of 1-10. It rated HA a 3 and gave a 4 for the average for the US as a whole (on both violent and property crime). I know you can't really compare anywhere on the mainland with Hawaii, but for discussion sake I have to stick to what I know and hope that brings about counterpoints from others who know more.

So when you say "some wierd sh** has gone down in various subdivisions", what do you mean (other than this shooting and the recent murder)?

ps: I can see the mainland from my deck, but I don't live there. My Island is the size of the state of Hawaii (including the water between Islands). Not a big matter, but we locals are a bit sensitive about it here. We also refer to those from outside as 'mainlanders'.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
i hate the acres are being given such a bad rap about this. like any neighborhood there are good and bad spots. i think the police have the stats on the various subdivisions. i know at one community group we had in the acres, by far, the most crime was in HPP which is considered a "good" one. as far as murder i believe HPP is the top and also property crime. I think volcano has the least for some years running, and in kau it is mainly agricultural type thieft issues. HA has a wild reputation as does fern forest and eden roc and you really have to check out each road separately. but just as there are microclimates everywhere in puna, there are micro neighborhoods also. and remember, a new neighbor is just one moving van away...
I keep waiting for the details to be published - Most rational folks who are laying low (all the grow and ice comments) usually dont bring the law down upon themselves by blindly shooting at people.

I did find it interesting to see one of those 5 gallon blue water cans (and lots of clutter) in the van - only time I see those carried those is hauling water - or camping. Interesting story - standing by for the facts

quote:
Originally posted by lquade

i hate the acres are being given such a bad rap about this. like any neighborhood there are good and bad spots...

I agree with you. HA did have excitement back in the day but it truly has changed a lot ... with the exception of this issue. But yes, you are right - HPP sees itself in the news far more often these days.

In our area we have one community with no gate and lots of tourist visitors for the day and one community with a gate and limited non-resident or non-vacation rental visitor access.

Guess which side has more crime?

If you guested gated side, you'd be right. Maybe they have better things to steal. (Our side has 2 property crimes in 2 years due to a vigilant NW.)
You have to compare population sizes as well if comparing numbers of incidents. HPP is bigger than the town I grew up in, which was the county seat, and had its own police force as well as the sheriff's department. Considering its size, both in terms of square miles and population HPP has relatively little crime, especially when you take into account the lack of police presence.

Bullwinkle, By definition meth cooks and ice heads are not rational. The family who was shot at lives in Volcano, most of Puna hauls water, many of us in blue jugs, and a family with 4 kids can easily have a cluttered van. None of those things makes someone justified in shooting up a van with kids in it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I was back on 7 off g a few days ago looking at property some redneck fools came out in their trucks and asked if we were cops and said we better not be lying because if we are he has a gun and is going to shoot us and rambled on about growing weed before driving off. a real dumbass. wouldnt be suprised if it was the same fatass that shot at this family. needless to say i did buy a lot.
oh and i was actually quite suprised as to how many people have cleared out much larger than necessary portions of their lots living in houses ten times the size they need.