Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
quote:
Originally posted by Whitey

@KathyH - You need to tell your new neighbors about this behavior. If the dogs only bark incessantly when the owners leave, then the owners do not know it is happening. How can they fix a problem they don't know about? Don't complain to them, just make them aware that when they leave the dogs bark incessantly. Bark collars work great!

I agree, but I need to pick the right time. So far, I've only met them once. They are close enough for barking to travel but across a natural barrier (gulch).

I think they would want to know ... but I'll take it slow.

The problem with cats is they climb and they can't be trained the way dogs can. There is no such thing as an obedient cat. They're really unhappy locked in the house, unhappy enough that they cry and freak out non-stop when they can't get out on demand. My wish would be the cats stay right by the house all the time, for sure.

A well fed cat should not be a problem like the ferals are. I have a handful of ferals around my house that are annoying, and I deal with it as long as they aren't too violent to the other cats. I tried feeding them but that created fights between them and attracted mongoose and rats to the food too.

Cats really do keep down the rats and mice. If my cat is up on a roof, I guarantee it's because they are after rats. Most of their prowling is related to hunting rodents. If all the cats in Hawai'i were locked inside, I cannot imagine what kind of rodent population we would have. My cats kill at least one rat every day. I'd rather have footprints on my car than rats.
cats have decimated Hawaiian native birds.

Cats eating rats that have taken rat bait die a horrible death as well - keep some prescription (from your vet) "K" on hand, may be wise - look for light pink gums & lethargy, loss of co ordination etc

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org/his...news21.htm

me - I use traps baited with peanut butter for rats - saves the Io and neighbor cats from a nasty death as well
My cat is trained. Comes when I call, sits on command, gives me her paw, and stops meowing if I tell her. The neighbors have yet to complain about her meowing.
On Dogs.
We recently found a note on the gate telling us to do something, ASAP, about our dog of a year and a half howling when we are gone. We hadn't realized it was happening but it coincides with a new neighbor across the street with lots of new activity. Not the complaining neighbor but the one he was barking at. Anyway, I found a 'spray collar' on EBay for something less than than $40. I fill it with citronella spray so when he barks he gets a squirt. So it helped with the bugs and stopped the barking. Of course he now rides in the car much more and sleeps inside. You can't believe how sad a dog can look though until you see him getting the collar put on now.

Jay
Jay
If you worry about cats eating rat poison make sure the rat poison come with the plasticpoison container. The one I was using look mouse sized not sure it's big enough for rats.
It is the cat eating the poisoned rat, not the bait, that is the issue.

The poison makes the rats easier to catch around day five after ingesting the anticoagulant / rat poison. The internally bleeding rats come out, take risks, seeking water due to dehydration - clever as it gets them out of the walls and nests to seek hydration before they die.

When birds of prey or other predators take the slow and confused rat - (the erratic motion drives predators nuts - just too good to pass up) they too are killed by the anticoagulant if not rushed to the vet.

Massive dosses of K are required to reverse the internal bleeding - or the predator will die

edit - see attached for a good alternative - there several good choices these days "new style rat traps"

- humane to the offending rat - they work - dead rat first time every time
- no toxins to predators
- no smashed fingers

I'll get off my soap box now -

barking dogs? - how about pea fowl!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1AVSX_enUS389US389&ix=acb&q=rat+traps&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4334203035414784720&sa=X&ei=8cWIT4LUAamqiQKklY3qCw&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAA

Sounds like I gotta watch out for the cats!!
oh gross, Bullwinkle.
I feel lucky now.
Well, my one cat has been catching rats here for over seven years, and no problems yet. I don't use any rat poison, not sure what my neighbors have done though. In Hilo, I had a lot of neighbors. Guess I lucked out. Ugh. Not a fan of poison bait. I use spring mousetraps or stickies if I do need a trap.

I know people keep saying this about cats decimating birds, but I don't believe that domesticated cats of one or two per household have that impact.

At my property, I have two cats and there are probably a dozen ferals slinking around, and my neighbor has two cats. In my yard there are not hundreds but thousands of birds in spite of all this cat action. For one thing, there are lots of tall trees that cats can't begin to climb, as well as the wires and the roofs. My cats very rarely catch a bird, and if they do, usually a mynah, which is itself an invasive. My lawn is typically full of birds feeding by day ... the cats sleep all day and hunt at night.

I also put belled collars on my cats so the birds can hear them. Perhaps that is why they rarely catch birds. Rats are hard of hearing? <j/k>
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

My cat is trained. Comes when I call, sits on command, gives me her paw, and stops meowing if I tell her. The neighbors have yet to complain about her meowing.

You just have to rub it in about your well behaved cat, huh? [Wink]
My cats call me. They come when they feel like it or I wave food at them. [:p]
Well, par for the course... if you think dogs, cats and roosters are the only "invasives", wait til a mating pair of Peafowl take up residence!

Yesterday was our invasion day. First, I went into Pahoa briefly and left the gate open. Closed it when I got home (I do this often), and was greeted by two 6 month or so puppies full of exuberance and happy to see a human. Spent an hour walking around keeping them entertained while our friend who has a pulse on the neighborhood dog situation (who owns what dog) got here to check 'em out. So he and his wife took them (very bright, totally untrained, and a bit hyper dogs) to see if a new neighbor was missing their pets. I'll find out later today what happened. Thank you Zac!!!

Walked into the house, only to hear the neighborhood peacock REALLY close. Ends up he and his peahen decided they like our back property slash pile as a nesting place and have taken up residence. Tried to see if I could convince them to move onward, though surely don't want to harm them. They are just amazingly noisy to have around! Did I say the male is spectacular? Didn't work. At least they sleep at night and make a good alarm clock (5:45).

Later in the day, looked out the front door and see a small tabby cat on the lanai, shoo it away.

That's 3 invasions in one day, and I don't know how many mongoose were roaming around.

BTW, I can understand one rooster in your flock, but four or five unless you're doing fighting roosters??? Only need one to keep those hens putting out fertilized eggs and an infrequent clutch for replenishment. I don't define fighting roosters as "real" ag activity.

Jane