Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP GETS 12 MILLION TO PAVE ROADS!!!
Kapohokat, I'm glad you don't agree with some in your neighborhood that don't like visitors. I have visited often and the bumps just don't bother me that much. You have such a beautiful spot I guess I'm not in a hurry to leave.

quote:
I moved here because what I saw here. Love the cinder roads and the flavor of the area. Now all the masses want the roads paved. I voted against them and proud of my stand. Now you worry about speeding so now you want speed bumps! GOODGOD! Next you'll want Wally World to build out here. Why can't people just leave it alone? If you want warm climate, beaches and all the BS, why not move to California??!! It has it all already. I swear I'm reading the KONA WEB all over again.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Edited by - Royall on 06/28/2007 12:24:31

Royall, no matter how you feel progress is not gonna stop because of a few who don't want change in their neighborhood. Let me ask you this, why do you favor keeping the roads cinder? We all know speed will come into play, it already does now. But what happens when kids go flying down your cinder roads these days? Most of that damn cinder road ends up on your front room floor!!!! I'm sweeping and mopping my floors two to three times a day. I haven't done this much mopping of tile floors since living in Mexico! But that can be greatly reduced with paved roads through HPP.

Royall, before Puna what state were you living in?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Beachboy, there are much better, less expensive ways to keep cinder out of your house than paving the side roads in HPP. Weak arguments like this don't help prove your point.
quote:
Beachboy, there are much better, less expensive ways to keep cinder out of your house than paving the side roads in HPP. Weak arguments like this don't help prove your point.

Les - what are these options? BTW - It's not just about keeping the dust out of the house, keeping it off the roofs (and catchments) as well as out of lungs.

Attempts to keep the periodic grading costs down have centered on shifting from cinder to base course/gravel. While this has helped to minimize the problem of the material being washed away, I noticed that it does not address the problems associated with dust, especially on the mauka side of the side roads.

What are the other non-paving options?

Noel
The only thing I know to be inevitable is death. It is exactly that "you can't stop progress" thinking that allows those who want the mainland amenities to get them!
We have to stop throwing our hand up in the air and saying "oh well".
If HPP could figure out a way to get $12 mil, I think those of us who want progress to slow the "blank" down, can come together to stop it!
Off the 'okole and let's get goin to keep Hawaii Hawaiian! Please don't give up, don't let them win.

Ponopuna, unless you are an HPP property owner, you don't get any say in the matter. As the County keeps reminding folks, it is all private property. As far as dirt roads keeping Hawaii Hawaiian, you might talk to the folks at Hawaiian Homelands. They keep telling Hawaiians who get old and die waiting for leases that one reason it takes so long is that they don't have money to pave roads to the lease lots.

quote:
Les - what are these options? BTW - It's not just about keeping the dust out of the house, keeping it off the roofs (and catchments) as well as out of lungs.

Attempts to keep the periodic grading costs down have centered on shifting from cinder to base course/gravel. While this has helped to minimize the problem of the material being washed away, I noticed that it does not address the problems associated with dust, especially on the mauka side of the side roads.

What are the other non-paving options?

This is the first time that I've heard anyone mention that dust was an issue. Roger's (Beachboy) post was about cinder. For cinder, you can extend the non-cinder areas before your entry (like a cement pad, asphalt or decking), use grating or doormats, and take off your shoes. For dust, vegetation is a good dust barrier. While trees and shrubs aren't good sound barriers, they can catch dust.

When we stayed a couple of months with friends in HPP on Manono (19th), dust was not an issue in their house, on their roof, or in their catchment. Their house was set toward the back of their lot with plenty of trees and lawn between it and the road. Our car did get dusted with red cinder dust.

Edited by - Les C on 06/29/2007 14:59:51
i am sick of hearing all this talk about people that want the roads to be paved should move back to the mainland! This is stupid talk and baseless considering most of the people saying this are hypocrites.

also i agree with the other fellow, that unless your a property owner in hpp you might just keep your mouth shut because its private property and you dont have a say in the matter.

if you are a property owner in the park and dont want the roads to be paved, to bad, its already decided and 85% of hpp residents support paved roads. to the other 15% dont worry, this is just a road its not the end of your world as you know it.

zowie

Sorry, Although I don't live in HPP, I live in a neighborhood that is struggling with the same issues(Pavement and speedbumps). Kapohocat lives in another subdivision that also has both. We don't have a say in the HPP situation, but have experience with what you're discussing. You're right, it's none of our business, but for those of you who don't already know everything, our insights may be helpful. Here's another helpful insight; Although you pay fees for road maintenance, don't assume the roads are only for automobiles. Unless you borrow another $20 million or so for sidewalks, I would suggest that pedestrians, bicycles, and yes, even children, have a right to use the roads for egress. Watch that child!

everyone can use the road weither its paved or unpaved. this is such a basic need it should not even be such a hot topic, but it is for some reason.

paved roads are here to stay folks! so is electricity, running water and septic tanks. get used to it! if these things seem odd then maybe a better place to live would be kenya or the amazon.

anyway i will gladly sign my check for paved roads when the bill arrives, i might even through in an extra dollar for a tip!