Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What say the people of Puna to this?
>Seems to me that when a reservoir is full it would continue to overflow out and provide the same water downstream as before.

Worldwide, there are a lot of once-major rivers that no longer reach the ocean, and many extinct species as a result, because there is no overflow from all the reservoirs.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.co...s-run-dry/
In Washington also it is illegal,, so far, to catch rain water. I attended a class on septic system care put on by Island County in WA. Some how catchment systems were brought up and one of the officals told the class that the rain water belonged to the state and you are not allowed to catch it. Even though there are many parts of the this island that have no water. This state is crazy!
L.A. was giving away catchment barrels last year. My brother has ten of them hooked up at his home. Seems SoCal is interested in emulating the Big Island in using catchment.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by lavalinda...one of the officals told the class that the rain water belonged to the state and you are not allowed to catch it....

What about the fun of being a small child and playing in the rain and trying to catch the raindrops? [Big Grin]

Not a crazy concept at all if you stop to think about it; and it goes back far beyond the Wild West to Roman law and probably beyond. Anything that is mobile and capable of crossing property boundaries, including groundwater and surface water, is communal property and regulated by the state (it's the same reason you need a hunting license even on your own land, but not one to cut down trees). Putting up a large catchment is no different than diverting a stream, particularly in a place with low total rainfall.

While it's relatively unlikely someone would be prosecuted for collecting water off their roof even in a place where it's illegal, you can easily build a large catchment several acres in size (there's one at Puu Waawaa, for example), particularly in a place like Colorado where land is cheap and water is expensive. If a lot of people did that it could significantly reduce the groundwater input.
Just to say here- in Washington they have new rules about catchment systems- it is legal to catch and use water on site-

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications...911026.pdf
my guess is HE DID Break the laws and should do jail time!!! he'd been warned NOT to do this... and still said FU to the system put into place to protect the watershed of that area....

Q: did he really just collect rain that fell on his property, or did he divert a creak to fill those (3 large) ponds?....

EXTREMELY!!!! hard to believe that a place like (Eagle Point OR) that gets less than 2 feet of water every 365 days (19"/yr) can have enough rain/snow melt to fill a pond let alone a bathtub... especially with evaporation and soaking into the ground factors at play daily especially in the non rainy summer months that are common on the West Coast

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Who cares about Oregon? Not gonna happen here - nevah!!
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
BIG DIFFERENCE!

Eagle Point OR gets 19" of rain a yr......
Upper Puna HI gets 190+++" of rain a yr.....

What about fines/jail for those growing food in their front yard? Where does it stop? Why do farmers here in HI have to pull permits and pay taxes for selling their crops on their own farms? I know a young farmer threatened with fines for selling his crops out of his car near a farmer's market because he can't afford the fees. What next? Permits to breathe? Control the water, food, air, and they control everything including human beings...might as well be cattle. Pretty dang good plan!

http://www.naturalnews.com/038646_home_g...lando.html

SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI