Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer of love
I was in high school with Tim. His older brother Tom was in my class. Long time since I heard that name. I don't recall Gary. Don't know if Baker was puking or not. BF was probably on several things and I don't think they were personally getting along.... hence the break up.

Aloha,
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Besides Jimi on Maui. The music scene was intense! I actually worked a couple of years for Jon McVie of Fleetwood Mac Fame. Got picked up hitchiking by two of then guitar players for Lynard Skynard in Napili. Had George Benson knock on my door on serveral occasions trying to get me to take either 'Awake' or 'Watchtower' mags from him. He is a Mormon of the highest standards belive it or not! I became good friends with the lead guitar player(Bill Spooner) for a group called the 'Tubes', anybody remember them? "White Punks on Dope",was kinda their signature song live. One memeber would come on stage dressed up as a Quaalude during that song!

Any you guys remember a guitar player named Roy Bucannan? He was awesome, but he ended up blowing his brains out for some damn reason? He did a album called "LiveStock", to this day it's still one of my favorites

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
I was in high school with Tim. Long time since I heard his name. I don't recall Gary. Don't know if Baker was puking or not. BF was probably on several things and I don't think they were personally getting along.... hence the break up.

Aloha,

Rob, Tim and I played intermural Basketball at ChicoSt. together! Small world huh!

Ahhh Ventura, I use to love and go eat up on Ventura Ave. at a little hole in the wall called "Johnny's fine mexican food". They were the only place I knew that had shredded beef in their tacos instead of hamburger. For that reason I use to eat there a lot. Then I read one day that they(Johnny's) get's busted for serving up "Dog"!!!!!

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Some memorable concerts: Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees in Charlotte in the mid sixties (He was booed off the stage by the teeniebopper crowd), Bob Dylan and the Band in the seventies, The "Georgia Jam" in 1975 with the Marshall Tucker Band and Leonard Skinard kicking ass, but Greg Allman was too drunk or whatever to play....

these ARE some great stories! Sounds like a few of us are the same age ... I am Year of the Dragon ... I was 15 at Monterey Pop; I was 13 and 14 when I first saw the Beatles and Stones.

Don't have that Lou Reed album, sounds good!

I was the kind of Dylan fan who bought each new album, sat down and TYPED the lyrics while listening over and over to the record ... it was 1965 before I heard of him, but then I was only 13. I think I saw him at Glendale Civic just before the motorcycle accident ... then not again until '86 with Tom Petty at the Greek. that was a great night. Dylan was BACK!

I never saw Blind Faith but that was our favorite album when we lived in Taos in 1969. I did see Cream at the Forum in LA in December of '68, on their farewell tour.

Janis at Monterey Pop was amazing because relatively unknown and no expectations in the crowd, she was on in the Saturday afternoon blues concert ... got such a response that they brought her back that night and she stole the show.

Beachboy, did you ever know some guys who moved to Maui in the late 60's who called themselves Mu? They were an offshoot of Merle and the Exiles ... and Jeff Cotton was their main talent ... he got religion and quit the music business though.

I went to high school in the Palmdale desert, and our homegrown bands were Merle, Captain Beefhart, and Frank Zappa ... one of my high school musicians that I much admired has written a book on the Beefhart days now (Bill Harkelroad) ... and his bassist Doug Moon ran away from the band and lived in a travel trailer in our yard.

Strange days.
I have to say I had more fun then than I do now!

Aloha Beachboy, thanks for"White Punks on Dope", from the Tubes, now it won't leave my head, along with "Whatta you want from life?" from the same album.... A Winnebago? Hell, we got a whole herd O' Winnebagos, we're givin''em away!... and a baby's arm, holding an apple.

If I'm not mistaken, another member of the Tubes was political satirist Bill Maher.

And lets not forget wondering about the significance of.... the.... Pickle !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266Uwp6ZnI&mode=related&search=

Great topic

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Talk about memories. I was at the original Woodstock and low and behold what I lost there is irreplaceable. I lost my virginity to some hairy legged, hairy armpitted hippie gal. I look back and wonder was it really that good? At the time it was - now I have no desire to roll in the mud with such a person.

Sorry guys, although I am of the age, I was a big fan of the Carpenters! (Don't throw anything!) Smile

"From knowledge comes understanding"