Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Watch Forum? Rob?
This is possibly one of the worst idea's yet, in fact I would think Sputnut came up with this one?. Are we kidding ourselves why not ask as tax paying community members, that our local police officer's spend more time doing this. Instead of flagging traffic or acting as if there part of road construction crews. The hours and presence of officer's in our neighborhoods would help in both crime reduction and community ,officer relationships. Rather than taking the law into your own hands and putting your lives at any more risk than they already are out here. I can't help it I have to throw a really stupid idea out there though. (COPS ON HORSES). That's right cops and horses can smell out trouble better than us half united. I will leave out my extra guava's and suspect list each week. haha. Sorry if I offended anyone, not my intentions. COM-ON Though do we need a new breed of Rat's.
Simple answer: there aren't "enough" police.

Obviously they are underfunded due to the large numbers of people "cheating on their property tax", and the low salaries are why HPD officers have to supplement their income by directing traffic.
Low salaries of the highest paid state employees.

Did I get that right?
quote:
Originally posted by Clayton

First meeting of the renewed Puna Watch is the 21 @ Kea'au Community ctr. Not sure of the time.

This is a great idea. All the Neighborhood watch people are meeting to share ideas & information. Again, like someone else said "if it hasn't happened to you, then it's probably no big deal". I'm not saying vigilante, but being more informed & proactive in protecting ourselves from the small number of lowlifes doing all the damage.

Thurs Nov 21 at 6PM at the Keaau Community Center behind the police station.
I'll be there.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Simple answer: there aren't "enough" police.

Obviously they are underfunded due to the large numbers of people "cheating on their property tax", and the low salaries are why HPD officers have to supplement their income by directing traffic.

wow! about $70k as a starting pay? plus new car supplement payment? wouldn't call that underfunded to the point of hav'in to direct traffic..
This is a great idea. Look at the lack of posting on this thread !
Say we are all doing just dandy!
If I hear of someone's house getting broken into near me.....or a viscous dog on the lose, I'll be posting to alert all.
Hope you would do the same. Until then, no news is good news!
quote:
Originally posted by Frank: wow! about $70k as a starting pay? plus new car supplement payment? wouldn't call that underfunded to the point of hav'in to direct traffic..
From http://www.hawaiipolice.com/recruitment/police-officers:

Benefits
The starting salary for Police Officer I is $4,270 a month, or $51,240 a year. Officers receive night differential pay and time and a half for holiday work and overtime.

Fringe benefits include:
  • Holidays — 13 paid days a year, plus all election days except the primary election.
  • Vacation — 21 working days a year. The unused portion may be accumulated up to 90 days.
  • Sick leave — 21 working days a year. The unused portion may also be accumulated toward retirement.
  • Military leave — full pay for up to 15 working days a year for active duty or annual training.
  • Funeral leave — three working days with pay for death of qualified family member.
  • Accidental injury leave — upon choice of plan, full pay up to 120 working days for each work-related injury.
  • Health insurance — self or family medical, drug, vision and adult dental insurance partly subsidized by the County of Hawai#699;i.
  • Life insurance — fully subsidized group life insurance for $26,000. Coverage varies with the age of the employee.
  • Uniforms and equipment — furnished by the Hawai#699;i Police Department.
  • Automobile subsidy — monthly allowance for private automobiles in police use, plus fuel and oil and tax-exempt motor vehicle registration if position requires the use of a vehicle.
  • Retirement — eligible for retirement with 25 years of police service in Hawai#699;i.

Parts of the Vacation and Sick Leave seem a bit generous but overall they don't seem to be getting overly compensated, based on starting salary.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
wow... 15 days full pay to go training for 2 weeks in the hawaii army national guard. That's a sweet deal. I was in the guard for 8 years and NO ONE I've had a lot of jobs... No one paid matter of fact the Guard was a handicap... Most places didn't want to hire you because you were gonna be gone for 2 weeks out of the year.

Still with all those benifits I'd wouldn't wanna be a cop in Hawaii. Couldn't keep up with all the rules of what goes down and would be busting all their friends and family. Smile
mahalo to ya oink...i wouldn't want to be in police work either eric
Just a little more info..

Fringe benefits include:

•Holidays — 13 paid days a year, plus all election days except the primary election.

Of which you do not get the day off unless it falls on your day off, otherwise, it’s just overtime pay. If you’re new you can count on working ALL holidays.

•Vacation — 21 working days a year. The unused portion may be accumulated up to 90 days.

Of which has to be arranged a year in advance and is subject to availability and recall at any time.

•Sick leave — 21 working days a year. The unused portion may also be accumulated toward retirement.

3 days in a row or more require a doctor’s certification for illness and return to work.

•Military leave — full pay for up to 15 working days a year for active duty or annual training.

As it should be with EVERY job.

•Funeral leave — three working days with pay for death of qualified family member.

Part of Family Leave.

•Accidental injury leave — upon choice of plan, full pay up to 120 working days for each work-related injury.

Called Workers’ Comp., required by law, along with a plan called AFLAC, (you know the duck, which you have to PAY FOR).

•Health insurance — self or family medical, drug, vision and adult dental insurance partly subsidized by the County of Hawaii.

As is most jobs with enough people. Also now part of the ACA.

•Life insurance — fully subsidized group life insurance for $26,000. Coverage varies with the age of the employee.

Basically a crappy insurance, and yes you have to contribute.

•Uniforms and equipment — furnished by the Hawaii Police Department.

First ones only, they do receive an allowance to buy additional replacements as is required by federal law for any job that requires a uniform.

•Automobile subsidy — monthly allowance for private automobiles in police use, plus fuel and oil and tax-exempt motor vehicle registration if position requires the use of a vehicle.

They have to drive SOMETHING at work…

•Retirement — eligible for retirement with 25 years of police service in Hawaii.

Same as it is EVERYWHERE, and is NOT at full pay.