Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone noticed.. the latest changes @ Kilauea
thanks for all the info and maps

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
This has been going on for many months (the Kahauale'a II flow, that is). It started around May and for much of that time was flowing northward toward the spot that the trail from Captain's Drive in Fern Forest exits the forest to overlook Pu'u o'o. In recent months, it has turned eastward, although you can see some small northward outbreaks as well if you look at the lava flow maps.

The best resource for monitoring this activity seems to be http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php and http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/?display=default in addition to the previously posted lava flow maps.

I do not recommend using the trail at the end of Captain's Drive for several reasons. Firstly, if the trade winds die down and you get any kind of wind from the South, you will be directly in the path of the gas plume, which can be deadly for up to a mile (possibly more, I'm not an expert). I met a guy who lost a friend to that. Secondly, they have updated the penalties for using the trail. Previously it was "up to a $2000.00 fine" and now it's "up to two years in prison". I've heard from others who live nearby that they are pretty easy on people who live near the trail, but it's a big chance to take. Finally, there are a number of side trails and it is a mucky trail through mud and roots so it isn't too hard to get lost or twist an ankle, especially if you don't know the area.

It could, however, be a pretty neat tourism idea to do guided hikes there, although the red tape would probably be more lethal than the fumes.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Looks like it is advancing at about 1/10 mile/day. Break out the Bass Fiddle.
Now as far north as it has been in the entire 31 year eruption. Nearly as far east (north of the rift zone) as it has been the entire eruption. http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/
so at 3 miles a month looks like maybe 6 months it might get interesting that is, if it doesn't start pumping out more lava faster. Can you see the glow from HPP yet? Always reassuring reminder about the dangers of living on the side of a volcano.

I've always wondered about if the state or Hilo for that matter has any type of plan for WHEN it does happen...

So what would happen when the lava cuts off 130 someplace between HPP and Pahoa? Depending on where it decides to cut off 130 you could have a MASS of people driving into hilo for a temporary place to live... What would we do?

Do you have a plan? I never really thought about it. But, I guess I'd probably go to some sort of shelter for a few days then probably get back to my family on Oahu. After a year or so if they lava continued or if you watched your home burn up on tv. I'd probably have to move to the mainland.

I kinda wonder if the state would be charging you tax for a lava field. But look at the lots berried in kalapana, still get charged tax for that land! I don't think most people have thought much of "WHAT IF" (not IF) but When. It's going to happen one day might as well have a plan now I guess.

Most people can't afford to lose their home. They have sunk every available cent into up keeping it, paying the taxes and were somehow thinking that What "IF" was "NOT NOW" ... Me included. There is no way I could just rent someplace. I could. But $$$ would only last a few months till I couldn't afford renting in Hilo. That is if you could even find a place to rent with a mass of people looking...

I would think all the beach parks in Hilo would become tent cities. But even those wouldn't scratch the surface to accommodate the mass flood of people. I could see a lot of turf wars and fights happening as people cram together.

Ah well! Enjoy your day! Smile
7Shadows, thanks for the wonderful map!

Russell
Russell
Comment copied from Eric : "I've always wondered about if the state or Hilo for that matter has any type of plan for WHEN it does happen... "

You reminded me of a similar question by home owners who had houses on sandy bluffs over the Pacific Ocean in Washington and Oregon. They expected the government to pay them damages when the ocean washed away their foundations.

I look at that map and "as the crow flies", the flow is six miles from the farms behind Pahoa town. But I suspect with the very uneven terrain, the lava could change direction at any time. I bought a home in lava zone 2 and I knew at any time, things might change. No problem, I'll deal with it if/when it happens. You see, it is we the people who should have a plan to help ourselves, not the government. This will be something to watch [8D]

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
I think those who have them would be using boats to get from Pohoiki to Hilo, and back. The Lava viewing boats could become people ferries. It would really change things, there are also a lot of people who live in HPP and closer to Hilo who work in Pahoa, especially teachers and other professional, they would also be cut off from their jobs. It might be hard to get a substitute to work behind the lava line.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by nana valley
You reminded me of a similar question by home owners who had houses on sandy bluffs over the Pacific Ocean in Washington and Oregon. They expected the government to pay them damages when the ocean washed away their foundations.

No problem, I'll deal with it if/when it happens. You see, it is we the people who should have a plan to help ourselves, not the government. This will be something to watch [8D]

There is NO "IF" to this. The entire island will be covered with lava again so the geologist say. Maybe when Kilauea is 15K feet high and half a million years later when it has moved off the hot spot we can stop worrying about where the lava might go. Tho, Maybe and hopefully it won't happen for another 50-60 years. That would be great but would suck for the next generation.

Hmmm, where in my entire post did I say the government is going to pay for your home after pele burns it down?

Great! You have a plan. I doubt many people here do have a plan. As with any "EMERGENCY"/Natural Disaster.

When this does happen it will be thousands of people that are effected ... Most of them will come with their cherished possessions and family pets.

Great you got a plan, but what about the thousands that don't? Maybe you find it real funny to watch your neighbors being homeless living in a tent someplace. SCREW EM! They want me to help em? TOO BAD. But look at ME!!! I GOT MY $H!T together... Ego much?

Sheesh... Have a little aloha?

If Mauna Loa went off and took out half of Kona, I'd welcome a few to my home.

Thanks for being real...People like you we have to watch out for in a time of need.

Thank you all for the maps and better understanding. Being that this flow is being fed from the same vent as before, there must be a lava tube?. How far does the lava travel underground from the vent? Has this distance been growing as well? The lava tubes that carried lava down to Kalapana have been quite impressive in both length and width. These tubes often change, or move the lava miles before the next break out. Not only do these tubes keep the lava hotter longer, but also they allow for faster movement of the lava no matter what the terrain is like above ground. In most of the maps that I have seen regarding this flow, the tube appears in bright yellow, look for the yellow brick road for that is the tube currently. Does anyone know the difference between the amount of lava that was going in the ocean last year, and maybe the amount that's going east now?. Now that this new flow is burning the forest in this direction does this pose any new threats of breathing problems for nearby communities like HA or Glenwood?. You never no when the wind switches here.