Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
geothermal delayed
In a very practical way common sense would tell one not to put one's home in an active lava zone. The closest I was willing to get after my research twenty years ago was Lava Zone 2 - which is where I am. And I could still lose everything. People are afraid of PGV but they aren't afraid of the volcano which is a million times more threatening?

All over the country people are building homes in places our forefathers rejected because the hazards were too high.

Conversely common sense might tell one that the best place to put a geothermal plant is where there is active geothermal activity.

On both sides of that coin what is done is what is done. I know people who are building right now right next to the PGV plant. Some dozens of homes and hundreds of local lots have rather recently been destroyed by volcanic activity. There used to be a village in Kapoho. It was destroyed in 1960.

It is my opinion that our highest goal is to reduce dependency on oil as soon as possible. Oil consumption is slowly (or rapidly) killing our planet and it pains me that young Americans are dying merely (or perhaps mostly) to protect our interests in consuming oil. Ignoring those deaths and not taking them into consideration is callous and willfully ignorant. We have to choose our poisons as a society and for me that does not include letting someone else suffer and die for our self centered interests.

It is my opinion that this county made a huge mistake subdividing the east rift zone into small lots and it is a mistake that should be corrected - but very likely won't.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Well Dragon2k, again you surprise me with your simple solutions to YOUR hippie problems. You know IDG would have to doze all those same burials and Hawaiian history. One of the largest known Hawaiian villages I believe were in the Poihiki area, Which has stopped development in the past down in Poihiki. What is surprising to me is the willingness of the Hawaiians to further more crush their past and Aina, rather than try and preserve their history and precious land. I guess they would only be leasing the land to IDG and geothermal profits, So at least the Hawaiians will get to tap into the left over cesspool for their future taro gardens?. The Hawaiians use to lead the charge against Geothermal in the 80's, now they are giving their land away for more. What has changed???$$ D2k please enlighten me.

I know you didn't ask me, gypsy, and kala mai, D2k, for responding to this, however, I can address a few concerns for gypsy.
I have bolded what I am responding to.

For the record, there are no "burial grounds" in the Pohoiki area, or anywhere for that matter, that any developer can "doze over".

The iwi is kapu. Western law provides protection (ie. Hawaiian Burial Council, BLNR, etc.)would NEVER allow a "doze over".
There is a process for any removal of iwi, and like everything, it is a long, arduous process (reference Kawaihao Church).

I'm sure it's just several typos, gypsy, but it's "Pohoiki". Actually, the area was "Puala'a" (now Bishop Estate land; Kapoho-side), and the area IDG is considering, per your earlier post (Kealoha land), was known as "Laepao'o".

As kanaka maoli, and ohana to most families in the area that are kanaka maoli, please consider my respectful position regarding the preservation and "crushing" of our history and aina.(second bold). Our family for generations (piko is Opihikao, Kalapana, Kapahua)roamed free, farming, fishing, visiting, sharing,and taking care of our aina.

Today, as an example, the community garden in Pohoiki hauled two (2) tons, yes, TONS, of rubbish (including vehicles, ice boxes, needles, dirty diapers, household trash, more needles, beer and sodas, and the like). In essence, the mantra of protection of our land is ours to "chant". It's been destroyed beyond description ("cesspool" indeed), and no thank you to "Save Pohoiki" and all the other fear mongering going on. Instead, grab a set of gloves and go help those young Hawaiian kids to something positive and surf Pohoiki waves when pau hana.

As far as Hawaiians leading the charge against geothermal (third bold), yes, they did, and won their case. Not one kanaka maoli has been stopped from "practicing" our culture, anywhere. The true culturist are not part of the argument in this day. In fact, HELCO had Pua Kanakaole on their latest commercial (I'm sure, for a fee, or contribution to the Foundation). Just pointing out the obvious.

There is so much information for your perusal, and these questions have been addressed ad naseum. Perhaps you may want to attend ORMAT/PGV's monthly meeting:

As a continuation of PGV and Ormat’s ongoing commitment to provide regular educational outreach, we have scheduled our next quarterly meeting as follows:

Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013
Time: 5 – 7 PM
Place: Pahoa High School Cafeteria

Topics being reviewed:
•2013 year-in-review
•Facility update
•Support and participation in the Geothermal Health Assessment

There will be some time set aside for a question and answering session.

http://www.bigislandchronicle.com/

If you go, we expect a full report. [Big Grin]

I'm siding with Mr. Tucker and Dk2 on this one. Just some factual information for consideration. JMO.
Thank you all for your quick responses, Opihikoa yours hit home and yes thank you for the meeting info. Sorry if I offended any of you as you can see we share the same passion for this land, we may just have different views. I did have Hawaiian classes for years growing up here but as you can see still have much to learn. AS to the rubbish pick-up, thanks again and yes my family and I have hauled out many truck loads of garbage along our coastlines. Great responses again guys and I encourage more for each one becomes a story of its own loaded with plenty passion and education. Go-easy
quote:

Thank you all for your quick responses, Opihikoa yours hit home and yes thank you for the meeting info. Sorry if I offended any of you as you can see we share the same passion for this land, we may just have different views. I did have Hawaiian classes for years growing up here but as you can see still have much to learn. AS to the rubbish pick-up, thanks again and yes my family and I have hauled out many truck loads of garbage along our coastlines. Great responses again guys and I encourage more for each one becomes a story of its own loaded with plenty passion and education. Go-easy

No offense taken, gypsy. Much like, the iwi, it is a process. A very wise kupuna taught me that (from Keaukaha, our Uncle Pat K.) My experience, and opinion come from kupuna, not classes or books, thus, may not be what others perceive as "fact". However, it is our ohana beliefs that we consider "fact". Just sharing.

Enjoy your posts, as the jolt of what others "perceive" is of great value. Mele Kalikimaka, gypsy, and may Akua guide us into the next wave of progress.

There is a book that may be of interest to all, not specifically to this subject (pardon the OT), written by Mama Veary. The title is "Change We Must". It is a very well stated position on moving forward, given the cards we kanaka maoli have been dealt.

JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

Opihikao - Once again BIG MAHALOS for yet another informative post and also for your continued involvement on PW. Your straight forward historical and cultural perspective and knowledge is truly invaluable. You're probably shrugging your shoulders while you read this and you might even say that it's just your kuleana to tell it like it is but thank you for taking the time to do so. I have learned more from your posts about the area I now call home than any other source. Granted first thanks go to Rob for providing the forum but it would be an empty shell if not for your pearls of wisdom.

Pleasure, Sir. Mahalo for understanding the position held. Mr. Tucker has afforded us a venue for discussion, which enables (hopefully) that elusive common ground. No shrugging of the shoulders, (oh, it's "haole"...LMAO![Big Grin]) just being a "messenger" of my kupuna. Directly, as it were.

gypsy, your posts (on a few threads) are mind stimulating, and challenging. Mahalo. So...are you gonna go to the meeting??? [8D] It should be pretty rich with information you seek. JMO.
Thank you Opihikao, small but very educational meeting tonight. I was able to ask my questions, and I received good answers. I was expecting to see a bit more of the community there, maybe next time?. Thanks again.

may i inquire as to "what questions you asked, and what the answers were given?
quote:

Are we still waiting?. What is the hold up?. Please The sooner we find out about our new neighbor the sooner we all can put our names on the relocation list. Hopefully the funds are their for their PURPOSE?, and not used for other state or county gain To only make more geothermal possible?. So this would be bad news before Christmas to most folks who live around the current operation. But good news to start a new year and further this destruction of a Farming and family raising area. Now that this current operation of geothermal is reaching greater capacity would it be to much to ask them to stretch the relocation zone a bit?. The current 1 mile zone is not, but in other countries 2 miles for spray zones for pesticides on their GMO fields.( I vote for a 5 mile buffer from any and all geothermal current future development). We are three miles down wind and up hill and still see, smell, taste, and hear the pollution from this plant let alone another one. Any suggestions to some of my questions from the previous post by chance?> Who would actually be responsible for a current disaster at this ormat owned, state ran, geothermal experimentation currently here?. I would feel safer seeing it on record and being able to validate the correct conclusion.

I am in total agreement with your post, you pretty much covered all the bases
Is there anyone here that can give me a solid explanation as to why geothermal in Puna is a bad thing? I have heard about an increased potential for small-magnitude earthquakes, but that's about all I've seen, personally.

Iceland is pretty far ahead of the game, utilizing geothermal energy for their needs, and it seems to be working out pretty well for them. Also an interesting model for comparison given that they, too, are an isolated island...better the be self-sufficient where possible, eh?
I agree with dragon!,Ohia trees just die for some reason, Island wide, not just in specific area's. I would think it would be more likely from the fumes of Volcano? I know Pele is sacred, But I am sure she wouldn't mind blowing off a little steam for the good of her Aina. It's HellCo we have to worry about?
[Smile]