Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greggor made NYTimes!
I am happy to see that Greggor stood his ground and didn't give in to emotional arguments. I have great respect for any politician who votes based on facts.
@Frank: We in HPP complain if our representative doesn't do anything for the subdivision, and now you complain when one tries to simply study what it would take to get a park in here. With park improvements already set to be made in Pahoa, it seems likely that most of the HPP park users would be from HPP itself. As usual, HPP is its own worst enemy.

"and now you complain"...read my post on this thread, i see the post as debate/lobbying if you will, my council representative
Another article noting Gregor's journey of understanding as detailed in the NYT, plus a differing aspect of the opposition to GMO:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/11610...nservatism

quote:
However, as Harmon details while tracing Ilagan's intellectual and scientific discoveries, every single one of the scare stories about genetically engineered crops is untrue; every supposedly scientific study is flawed; and nearly every claim made by opponents is entirely baseless. You really have to read the piece in full to grasp the absolute, utter discrediting of the anti-engineering side, but the article also raises a larger issue.
In case you missed it here is Margaret Wille's response to the article.It makes Greggor look even better!
Hogwash indeed !!

Margaret Wille

Hawaii Island Hawaii

The underlying message in this article is that pro-GMO is pro-science and those opposed are anti-science. Hogwash! It is the biotech corporations that politically obtained the USDA "political" exemption from being required to do premarketing health and safety tests. This political decision was based on the claim that GMO crops are "substantially equivalent" to the corresponding non-GMO crops. Instead of government required health and safety testing, uncontrolled "open field" testing is occurring right here in Hawaii on Kauai-- where all the evidence points to immune disruption of the young and unborn , as well as harm to the soil and adjacent aquatic life.. At the same time these same corporations obtain patent rights based on the distinction of their GMOs, allowing the intellectual property laws to function as the barrier to obtaining the information independent scientist needed to do long term studies.

And whenever an independent study is underway, the GMO offensive position is to discredit the scientist or buy out the organization, as occurred in the case of the international organization doing studies on the adverse affects of associated pesticides on bee populations.

The bottom line is that we passed Bill 113 despite all the opposition from Big Ag GMO proponents and their on island mouthpieces.
Richard Ha contrasted the Wille quote with an excerpt from the NYT article on his blog with some additional comments:

http://hahaha.hamakuasprings.com/2014/01...crops.html
The 'heritage seed contamination' issue is really a myth:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10...eds-busted

See myth #2. Yes, you can get GMO dna in your heritage crop, but Monsanto et al can't successfully sue you unless you selectively breed for their dna and profit from it as a result.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Thanks for the links - it's really interesting to learn more about all the various issues and sub-issues involved with GMOs.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Where is all this evidence that points to the immune disruption of the young and unborn? When you blatantly lie about scientific facts on a regular basis, you are anti-science. What an embarrassment she and Ford are.

10 4