Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the biggest change in Puna since 1978?
The chain of craters road was completed to kalapana in 1959 per wikipedia.
Let's see, do we believe a long time resident who was a journalist and is well grounded in the history of a place, or an online encyclopedia that anyone can create an entry for? I vote for believing Frankie, she has never posted something on Punaweb that was factually incorrect. I know wikipedia is wrong sometimes, a few years ago my students had me listed as Empress of the Known Universe and it stood for a few weeks.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If only my grandparents were still alive! They were frequent visitors to Hawaii and the Big Island in particular during the 50's. I remember seeing slides (yes slides!) of the Kapoho eruption even tho' it didn't sink in to me what it was at the time. It just looked like a big fire. [:0]
I can only imagine what the trip was like back then since they lived in the middle of Missouri.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/up...uide-1.pdf

Excerpt from above linked pdf from the National Park Service website:
quote:
Completed in the early 1960s, this short-lived highway was the
original Chain of Craters Road. Most of the next six miles were
unceremoniously covered by lava flows from 1969 to 1974

I remember this happening when I was a child.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
I remember well attending the opening of the Chain of Craters Road between Kalapana and Volcano with my Great Aunts in 1959 or there abouts. The road began to be closed periodically when the current eruption started. It may be that Ms. Stapleton is confused with one of the re-openings that then occurred.
with a name like "chain of craters "its amazing it was ever open Smile
I remember in the late 60's camping with my familiy at the Kamoamoa campgrounds,and the only way to get there was the chain of craters road. Sorry to say she's wrong about the date.
quote:
Originally posted by wax

I remember well attending the opening of the Chain of Craters Road between Kalapana and Volcano with my Great Aunts in 1959 or there abouts. The road began to be closed periodically when the current eruption started. It may be that Ms. Stapleton is confused with one of the re-openings that then occurred.

Yes I remember in 1977 being on chain of craters road as a tourist...

Was there another road there too?
Negative, that was the only chain of craters road. Really do miss that ride from kalapana to the national park.
Here's some background on the subject:

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/04/09/red-r...n-and-now/