Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$26.5M?
The mercury is used to float telescope lenses.
There have been several spills on the mountain.

http://www.mauna-a-wakea.info/documentar...link2.html

http://www.mauna-a-wakea.info/maunakea/A...itsea.html

No one was looking, so they just let the mercury seep into the ground... Along with other waste materials.

'Auwe no ho'i e!

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Delta, in reply to your earlier question, yes the builder has a right to build a mansion if zoning allows, sure -- whether it is to our taste or not.

This builder has made a practice of violations first and then paying the fines, which are small change with such a big project, and that is not too pono as a repeated way to get around restrictions, although technically it is within the system to pay the fine.

Cutting down trees in an SMA, that are protected, in order to improve the view, then paying and leaving ugly stumps. Ignoring public access. Demolishing cultural artifacts when he was told to have the site assessed by Historical before proceeding with excavation.

As for the mansion going on auction, I was told that he repeatedly denied to Planning that he intended a helo pad on the roof. Apparently that was not OK, though I donÔt know the details of the rule against it. And now of course the helo pad is marketed as a big feature.

So itÔs both within rights and not.
The fines for ignoring the requirements for cultural artifact assessment are way too low IMHO.

The community was extremely upset to have their cultural memories wiped out before they even heard they were in danger. This was the PepeÔekeo site. I donÔt know anything about the site of this one other than what IÔve read here about the orchards. The PepeÔekeo site was formerly part of the mill and important to plantation culture.
I agree with you KathyH, but since the lawyers base decisions on precedent I feel that Scott (the builder, not the money man) has the right to work the system the same as any other entity which continues to desecrate our sacred island...

(Disclaimer, my wife's son works for Scott.)

Point taken, Delta, and thanks for the disclosure. [Smile]

By the same token, the community has the right to call public agencies, make their concerns known, gather evidence on violations, and put pressure on the system to enforce its penalties to the max they can, no? [Smile]

kalakoa, I couldnÔt and didnÔt try to answer your broad questions on GMO and how government decisions get made.

I had the opportunity to sit down with a group of Planners in a room for an hour or two with some community leaders, and to listen to their thinking and their constraints, which was a new and educational experience for me, and this related to WatsonÔs other project, so thatÔs why IÔm commenting.

I also participated in the community effort that blocked the rezoning and subdivision of ag land into urban zoning of PapaÔikou Point (tabled for now).

My only point here is that there are tools for combatting unwanted development, which may or may not work. As the people of the community manage to present a united front, that does concern our representatives. These are the people who vote them into office, and I think itÔs becoming more of a priority to please them. Plus the people are making better choices in some cases on who they vote in.

ItÔs helpful that some people who are very able to understand the tangled rules have moved here now. I was wowed by some of the write-ups I saw on how to fight PapaÔikou Point at each level of approval, for example.

IÔm wowed by the abilities of people who grew up here, their smarts, their ability to negotiate, their comfort level with the process here, and most of all their extremely good intentions.

Another thing I learned is that certain leaders of the community can call up public agencies and get a meeting at short notice. I could never do that. My friends could. These people donÔt have any money to speak of, but they have earned respect, and they are not ignored.

My opinion, if you want changes, go ally yourselves with respected community leaders and put your shoulder to the wheel. DonÔt say it canÔt be done or it is no use trying.
Thanks for the smile KathyH. <(;-)

If you're aware of the cause of sista Pualani Case, and the fight against the TMT on Mauna a Wakea, then you know how some developments are just shoved down our throats, like it, or not...

http://kahea.org/blog/mauna-kea-hui-file...-of-appeal

As a child, my neighbor, Leningrad Elarionoff Sr., used to rail against the observatories on the mountain, and I didn't understand why... Until I grew older and began to understand how sacred the summit is.

I do appreciate the research done by the scientists on the mountain, but as I grow older I see the way things work, and feel a bit helpless...

Delta, I am generally aware of the opposition but not up on the case you linked. I promise to read it.

I donÔt disagree that development can feel like a juggernaut. I canÔt disagree that when huge amounts of money and promises of economic prosperity are at stake that the fight is very very tough.

I did not understand why anyone would oppose astronomical progress when I moved here, but over a decade I have come to appreciate (as you point out) the sacred position of Mauna Kea. The name you use is beautiful. [Smile]

It is a tough one.

I also get that development gives ordinary people jobs. It gives your son work. It gives my son work. ThereÔs a lot to balance.
The mercury spills are not a fabrication. It really did happen. More than once.

Old is a relative concept, and ten years for some is but a blink of an eye, while for others ten years is an eternity.

I would like to hear some objective reasoning as to the lack of validity attributed to the site I have linked to above.

How did we get from the topic of a mansion on the Hamakua coast to a discussion of mercury on Mauna Kea?

New topic needed.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Sorry Rob. I brought up the observatories as a comparison to the mansion development, and how an eyesore along the shoreline is as bad as those on the summit of the most sacred place in all of Polynesia.

The auction is set for today, and I'm interested in what the final price will be.
Will Scott et al lose their shirts, or will some wealthy buyer pay the price?

Let us know how that auction ends up. Quite curious.

Punaweb moderator