Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leilani Bronson-Crelly Endorsed by GMO Free Hawaii
http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/20...ini-study/
Excerpt:
"Kevin Folta, associate professor in the Horticultural Sciences Department at University of Florida, Gainesville, comments in his blog:.....It boils down to this—if these data were significant, if the experiments were good, and the interpretations sound, this would not be buried in the depths of a crappy journal. If there was hard evidence that our food supply truly caused tumors, it would be on the New England Journal of Medicine, Science, Nature, or maybe Cell if he wanted to go slumming. But it’s not there. It is in a tiny, obscure journal that has quite a visible agenda, and that’s the only thing visible about it"

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Remembering just for a second here, that ignorant, poorly educated PW Punatics don't represent the genetic engineering community, the technology of genetic modification has exploded in the past few years and is only accelerating. The point is, the genetic engineers have incredible knowledge and control of genome sequencing, they are not blind and stupid as the anti-GMO people would have you believe.

Here are some of the latest findings. Over 90% of human DNA is junk and a mouse has more genes than a human. How are you going to describe these details in a label?

http://rt.com/news/175844-human-genome-junk-dna/
Human genome is over 90% ‘junk’ DNA – study

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultrane...Sizes.html
human 21,000 genes
mouse 23,000 genes

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by robguz

Sounds like another anti-science person to me. Using the term "the dangers" when so far there aren't any from any of the GM approved crops raises a flag for me.

The fact is that more states and countries are banning GMO crops and if products are not labeled, they will be refused. The papaya industry used to provide exceptional papayas as a delicacy around the world. The papaya industry in Hawaii has declined almost 50% from 2007 to 2011 according to USDA. (you can google the facts). It is continuing to decline. With weeds and pests becoming more resistant, more and different pesticides are needed. This is a cycle that is not good for the land or us.

There is a reason other countries will not buy our GMO products. So if you want to disregard the health and safety factors, then think about the economic factors. Organic, non-GMO's are a growth industry as people become more aware of the questions regarding GMO's. In 2012 the non-GMO, organic products was a $400 Billion world wide. Next year it is expected to double to $800 Billion. Those are facts you can look up by searching the internet.

We need to help our GMO farmers transition into sustainable farming if they choose. They are caught in the middle of this debate and suffering economically.
The fact is that more states and countries are banning GMO crops and if products are not labeled, they will be refused....

Which suggests that there will be standardized GMO labeling throughout the land soon. After all the food industry wants sanity too and having different labels for different jurisdictions just doesn't make sense... there's no money in it. GMO labeling is a non-issue methinks, whereas GMO farming.. well I'm on the side that would have it be criminalized. But still I wasn't swayed by GMO Free Hawaii's endorsement.

To me it does not make sense to vote a single issue. We are faced with so many and need representation that is capable of dealing with them all. Not in the manner of our colorful lives here, but in the halls of the state capital. A whole other world. One in which I do not think Leilani is suited for even though I sense that her intentions are good, and wish her all the luck in the world.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

But still I wasn't swayed by GMO Free Hawaii's endorsement.

To me it does not make sense to vote a single issue. We are faced with so many and need representation that is capable of dealing with them all. Not in the manner of our colorful lives here, but in the halls of the state capital. A whole other world. One in which I do not think Leilani is suited for even though I sense that her intentions are good, and wish her all the luck in the world.

First, thanks for bringing the thread back to Leilani and her endorsement. Secondly however, why do you think she is less capable than another candidate? Have you talked to her? She has made herself available at several forums. I think you'd be surprised. She is both outgoing and meticulous. She is warm and friendly, but also will not budge an inch in a negotiation when a principle is at stake. She has as much experience in government as any other candidate, aside from the incumbent. She knows all the players personally, just like Joy does. And yet she has skills Joy does not possess. She is better in a one on one conversation, and she can tailor that exchange depending on whether she is talking to a constituent or a fellow lawmaker. She knows the issues facing Puna and the state of Hawaii, and she knows which of the players wants what and how to build coalitions based upon those needs that will ultimately help the people of Puna. Joy won a few slam dunk court cases. That has not prepared her for lawmaking. Her work on Gil's campaign probably did more to prepare her for Oahu, but that certainly doesn't trump the experience Leilani brings to the table. And Leilani will not be swayed by the AG. Joy's love for the law, I fear, eclipses her love for the people of Puna. Leilani has that equation sorted out correctly in her head.

Forgive me if you were comparing her to the incumbent. I would have to concede that Leilani has less experience than Faye with regard to actual law making, but still feel that the time has come for a fresh voice in Oahu to represent Puna. JMO.
Hey DaVinci, thanks for the discourse.

My experience suggests that if all other things were equal a lawyer trumps an activist any day of the week in terms of qualifications to be a law maker. But, all other things are not equal, and still when I consider the options professionally.. it is a job after all.. I think Joy out classes all of them. But, since you bring up speaking skills and other glossy kinds of stuff.. I dont think Leilani has the personality either.

If this was a question of Leilani verses the other folks in the county council election she'd be a way stronger candidate. But man Joy's done her time.. and there's no question she can walk the walk! And, when you talk GMO... which I agree is a big issue and I am anti anti anti.. but think that fight's way over Leilani's head brah. She's spouting campaign rhetoric methinks. And yeah, we NEED a lawyer representing us is how serious that one is.

Though I must say.. I admire your passion DaVinci! Go for it!
Agree to disagree, dakine. What we need is a passionate advocate. The body itself has lawyers who are tasked with vetting proposed legislation. And there is the AG also, to tell them when they're overstepping their bounds. The world has plenty of lawyers, dakine. Too many damn lawyers if you ask me. I think we need a few more activists. But I appreciate your courtesy, and respect your choice also. Mahalo and good luck to you and yours.
"... I would have to concede that Leilani has less experience than Faye with regard to actual law making..."

Then she must have none, since Faye has very little. If you've ever tried to work with FH at the Legislature, or watched her "in action" as she sits at hearings, the term "lawmaker" does not come to mind. This is my first hand experience, not conjecture based on media accounts or hearsay. Most maddeningly FH will sign on as a Sponsor and then vote against the bills, she did it on some local bills I was involved with and, more noticeably, she did it on the Minimum Wage bill that passed this session, one of only 3 Reps who voted against it. There are many reasons to replace her, the problem is there are too many candidates running against her. I suspect she'll scrape through with a plurality.

I think Joy would make a terrific replacement and provide a trained mind coupled with a sympathetic disposition, a far cry from what we've got now.
I prefer a candidate whose position on GMO's is open to scientific evidence that has been rigorously peer reviewed and duplicated. As someone with experience on the bench as a Judge I suspect she understands better how to weigh evidence, understand the Constitution and come to a fair and reasoned position. If at that point she favors labeling or whatever, I can respect that.
We aren't well served by lawmakers who rely on "The Precautionary Principal" as a basis for their lawmaking. It seems a fear based viewpoint that stimies societies ability to solve problems and develop new tools.

Hello Brand New Person! Welcome to Puna Politics... your timing is impeccable.

Faye has been present, in the capacity of law maker, for the last 8 years... which is more than Leilani or Joy can say, both of whom have been law makers for exactly zero years. As to Faye's effectiveness, I do not make any claim, and I do not support her. One cannot, however, invent legislative experience out of thin air, as many Joy supporters would have us think.

Lawyer... law maker. They both have the word "law" in them so they must be similar. And one must naturally follow the other, right? Except that isn't true at all. Joy's position on GMOs will not be governed by anything quite so high-minded as peer review I'm afraid. And a Representative SanBuenaventura, if such is allowed to come into being, will take her cue from the sitting Attorney General, who will opine, and she will fall in line, despite what her constituency thinks or wishes. She will not fight for us, she will turn and scold us for not understanding "The Law" ... as if that were somehow a fixed thing that has no relation to the will of the people who are governed by it.

We agree, you and I, that Faye's time has come and gone. But I think Leilani Bronson-Crelly is the terrific replacement we're all searching for.