Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Review of Luquins
And change the mop water once and a while, as well. Been to a few places and that smell permeated the air and told me, " next place!" They don't realize that appetites increase when a place smells fresh and clean!

Community begins with Aloha
Stopped going 8 years ago for sanitary reasons, kind of hard to believe it's gotten worse.

Last I checked the food was mediocre, and rarely has the service been up to minimum standards, at least in my experience.

No surprise you get great service and a hug if the staff knows you personally, that's the local way, I totally get it. But does it logically follow that they should treat the rest of their customers like crap? Smile

That said, we all have different experiences. I happen to love Kaleo's and always get great food and service. (Um...they know me.) Smile But I know that others on this forum would beg to differ. Ain't it great to have choices? Smile
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
So are chips and salsa put down for you before you order?

Here are some other opinions.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/luquins-mexican-...rant-pahoa

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

http://www.ACaliforniaSoap.etsy.com/
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Always have the chips and salsa before we order.The salsa and chips are made fresh on site and we have even gotten Ana to spice up the salsa a little.

I admit the floor and restrooms are dirty.I don't eat in the restroom so it's not much of a concern.

It would be hard to keep the floor clean during the day with all the traffic and an unpaved parking lot.The restroom gets trashed by all the homeless and the hippies washing themselves.
Been there a a couple dozen times. Mismatched chairs don't bother me. The service is sometimes a bit slow though faster than, say, Tin Shack...by far. We have wiped the table a few times. Also had to do this at Kuhio Grille in Hilo. I suppose my wife and I are more tolerant of "filth" than many of you. I looked around last time for all the "filth" and was disappointed. I trust you germaphobics have never eaten in Chinatown in Honolulu. Same chairs, same "filth."

We often have the Nacho Supreme (or grande or whatever the large size is called). About $10 and we are both filled up. Food is not sensational. It is good and plentiful.

I have a sense that Punatalk is largely older haoles (like me) who bring their values and expectations to Puna. Ever notice that Luquin's is doing a romping business, catering to tourists, residents, hippies, and local folks of every race? It is the only place that serves the entire community.
Peter, I'm not older. Well I don't think 35 is older. lol

And I'm not talking about "filth" in quotation marks. I'm talking about roach poop, mouse poop (seen mouse poop on a table), dirty dishes, etc. grime is fine, filth and things that can cause disease and sickness are not.

There are plenty of places to eat in Puna that cater to every race and the entire community, including tourists. And no, I've not noticed Luquins to be especially busy... Based on my wait times there the lines should have been out the door!

There are also plenty of places to eat in Puna that have quicker service, just as good of food, and a cleaner environment. I'm really not that picky or a germaphobe. I ate at a thai or indian (can't remember now) place out in Hana on Maui that didn't even have running water. What they did have was good customer service and a clean place to eat.

@justthefacts

I have family from Mexico and they'd be appalled to eat there. LOL

And I'm not from Mexico, but I'm not from the mainland either.
Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
good to hear you folks will not be going there again , that means less wait time for me the next time i go for a meal. ya know that it is authentic Mexican food cooked by the cooks from Guadalajara mexico.
Mexican style ... like mexico the way its done there.
its not a 5 star restaurant its pahoa ,not the mainland .....
It's really simple: if you like the experience then by all means give them your business. If you don't, then don't.

"Germophobic", ha ha, never been called that before. But I'll wear that adjective proudly. Unlike Dayna I AM an older haole...who was spoiled for life by Japan's extreme level of cleanliness.

As Dayna pointed out, it's about health. Twice in my life I got food poisoning, once at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant considered (at the time) the most authentic Mexican food in Palatine Illinois. Another time at a buffet in Knoxville Tennessee (pork). Such unpleasant experiences tend to make one germophobic.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
(seen mouse poop on a table)

I might be wrong,but mouse poop looks like a kernel of rice.

trust me, I know the difference between mouse poop and rice. Having owned a pet store in the past and eaten a lot of rice. lol

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com