Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
Susan next time you or hubby are in town you can come over and connect to my verizon wifi to see if it'll be good enough for hubby to work from.

I know that doesn't answer your question as quick as hubby would like but it's all I can offer. Do either of you need to make a quick trip over to check on the property? lol

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I see No one has answered the price of DSL. Why is it so hard for someone to say they pay $40 for DSL? Business or regular? I'm on the mainland and I pay $60 a month for 75mbps down and 5mbps up. Yes I know its the mainland! I would rather have internet than cable TV. I can't imagine even trying to use DSL... because it doesn't come near the speed I'm used to. That is the biggest concern for me when I finally make my move in the summer of 2015. I'll be at 6th and Paradise and my biggest worry is getting internet speeds to satisfy myself. To me DSL is like dial up... no better. Its like in the old days when someone had a new TV and they said they are happy with their picture... and they had snow on the screen when you got to see it. Internet speeds aren't important to most people because they have no idea of how fast down is... and more important UP speeds. I'm one of those people that its really important. I know I will have problems with buying DSL, simply because the last time I had it was in 1998. I have friends on Kaloli who have cable internet... I only hope I can get it on 6th & Paradise. I know I probably won't. It would be nice to have people tell us how much certain things do cost, and don't mind telling you.
In 1935 Roosevelt signed the Rural Electrification Act and later on it was extended to phone companies to provide loans to companies to provide service to rural areas. The winning Senator in today's election should champion that kind of legislation to facilitate high speed internet to rural Hawaii. (I would also like to see an invasive species bill). Now that you've seen the situation in Puna ...Do something!
quote:
Originally posted by tmyc

I see No one has answered the price of DSL. Why is it so hard for someone to say they pay $40 for DSL? Business or regular? I'm on the mainland and I pay $60 a month for 75mbps down and 5mbps up. Yes I know its the mainland! I would rather have internet than cable TV. I can't imagine even trying to use DSL... because it doesn't come near the speed I'm used to. That is the biggest concern for me when I finally make my move in the summer of 2015. I'll be at 6th and Paradise and my biggest worry is getting internet speeds to satisfy myself. To me DSL is like dial up... no better. Its like in the old days when someone had a new TV and they said they are happy with their picture... and they had snow on the screen when you got to see it. Internet speeds aren't important to most people because they have no idea of how fast down is... and more important UP speeds. I'm one of those people that its really important. I know I will have problems with buying DSL, simply because the last time I had it was in 1998. I have friends on Kaloli who have cable internet... I only hope I can get it on 6th & Paradise. I know I probably won't. It would be nice to have people tell us how much certain things do cost, and don't mind telling you.

Here ya go;

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/InternetOverv...fault.aspx
quote:
Originally posted by HI_Someday

Take a look at this site:

http://www.hibroadbandmap.org/mobile/

And I don't know what Rob's policy is on linking other forums here but if it's ok then read through this recent discussion of it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/big-islan...nds-2.html

the Rural Electrification Act ... later on it was extended to phone companies

Unfortunately, none of this "universal service" legislation was updated to current technologies.

Telcom is only "required" to bring you analog dialtone, not broadband internet.
Note that of Telcom's offerings, only "Basic" is actually sold on Hawaii, and it's rarely 7/1, nor is there any guarantee of the usual "only 3Mbit" DSL (I've seen some 1.7Mbit lines).

Punchline: there is also no guarantee that any given remote DSLAM will have enough bandwidth to service those customers. (At one time, there was only 12Mbit of uplink for all of Seaview, the technical term for this is "massively oversold".)
Looks like I'm S-O-L for hi speed at this time. Thanks for the telcom link.
I have two options that I use now. Hawaiian Telcom. I have a separate phone and DSL for my home office. I was able to lock in a rate at $76 for life, which includes the inside wire coverage. Our house was built in 1987, i figured the wire coverage would pretty much pay for itself when we needed it, and of course, we have. We also have Oceanic cable, wifi and phone for personal. It's the standard package - which i think is about $160 or so. pretty much the same cost as back on the mainland.

I'm in Hawaiian Beaches. I had to call for a few days to get the DSL (must have been just at the right time). I'm never giving it up. Cable sure, if i have to - they'll always come back. But if I give up that HT DSL, there's no telling when i would ever get that back. The HT DSL works just fine for email, WebEx calls and Live Stream through my company's intranet (with our without my VPN on).

The one nice thing about the HT DSL/Phone combo - when the power goes out, then comes back on - they both are working within seconds. the Cable, when the power goes out, it takes a long time for everything to reboot and come back on line.

Oh, and if the electricity goes out, my phone still works (as long as the telephone line's not laying on Kahakai)
I contacted hawaii telcom today about Orchidland. For new accounts they offer telephone service only. No internet for residential or business users. I asked why and they said the area needed upgrades. I asked when that would happen and they said they have no plans at this time. I asked for internet suggestions and they recommended contacting a wireless provider.

So there you have it. No wired internet at any price.