Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kind of F#$ked
The early occupancy agreement involves signing a release called a "hold harmless agreement." Realtors and loan officers here are totally used to contracts not closing on time. I think they are more surprised when they do.

I wouldn't do it in this situation unless the bank had given Final and Unconditional Loan Approval. You just never know what a lender will come up with at the last minute. Also I would not accept ownership until I knew that the HELCO thing was going to go smoothly without some major expense to the owner.

I've been in 10-12 escrows on this island, and it's never done until it's over, although an all cash purchase tends to go smoothly. Financed ones not so much.

I don't really understand why you don't move into another vacation rental. Is it the money? Then it makes sense.

Buying a home here is like having a kid. It'll be a while until you don't have a lot of work to do. Years really. Why start by moving in with a downed power line? I would go see some other part of the island I hadn't explored, but it's your life, so enjoy. [Smile]
Here's an article on considerations re early occupancy.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/early-occup...-8150.html

http://homebuying.about.com/cs/buyingaho...ession.htm

The Hold Harmless part of the rental agreement will be you releasing the seller of liability if you get hurt or anything.

You can cover yourself with a renter's insurance policy for the interim.
It is real inconvenient to go to another part of the island when me and my wife both work full time jobs in Hilo.

As well as not making much sense to pay someone else when I have this house sitting here.
Oneself,
You may be able to find a deal on a vacation rental that had a post hurricane cancellation and would discount for a last minute stay of several weeks. Do you have pets here with you, that could complicate things.

I know when we bought our house the closing took about 6 weeks longer than expected, and we didn't have the power issues you do.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I have two dogs now.
I was going to go to HELCO, to see if I could humbly beg for help, but my coworoker said that's risky because if its a mean local they might put my papers right on the bottom.
Oh well, I missed the part where you mentioned two jobs and two dogs.

Is this a post looking for solutions or just a poor me post?
Very few escrows run on time when a bank/lender is involved. If there's not one thing there will be another.

Go ahead and occupy, but keep in mind you lose all leverage with the seller when you do that in spite of an existing problem that has yet to be solved and with an unknown cost. You're also banking on bank approval they can probably choose to withdraw if they get nervous about the area.
Its a poor me post. Just don't know what to do and venting hoping to hear any ideas.
Is kenneling the dogs on a short term basis an option? The place in Orchidland has a good reputation and has large fenced grassy areas where you could play with the dogs for "visitations." It will be much easier to find a short term place with no pets, pet friendly short term rentals are rare here.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
You've heard a bunch but none have worked for you. Why? KathyH in particular has mapped out various issues and scenarios for you that are based on her actual experience. With a job and dogs I see why Raratonga doesn't work but theres still much you can do with what's been proferred.

Are you procrastinating a decision hoping HELCO solves your problem by fixing the downed wire? I think that's a poor bet but good luck regardless.
BTW it's been a Sellers market for a while, you need to be mindful of that, even in storm tossed, Albizia littered Puna.

Again, good luck.