Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burglaries
Yea, I personally don't want air horns going off in my neighborhood all the time.

Ill stick to a Rottweiler and a gun.
A short course on horn blasts ( maritime ) http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/bigships/...tions.html

Actually the air horn sounds like a good idea. Three signals (of any device) typically means "mayday" and I'm sure five toots for medical problems will get noticed. A neighborhood full of stink eye should deter most thieves. Way better than a gun anyway. Obviously.
Thanks Tink. Hadn't thought of doing it that way.
This is the game camera we use: http://oldboysoutdoors.com/ It will take pictures and video but more importantly it will text and/or email you the pictures its taking if you want it to.

Also we network with the neighbors, and have 1 Rott mix outside the house and one German Shepherd inside the house.

My favorite recent story of our property getting cased (what I assumed they were doing when they stopped their vehicle in front of our house and were straining to look into our home) is they did it when we were butchering chickens in the back. I came around the side of the house holding a freshly decapitated chicken by the feet and saw them, then held the headless prize dripping blood from it's neck stump up above my head and towards them. They sped away after that.
Have any of you considered that the people driving by slowly and looking at properties may very well be doing what you once did when you were looking for a place to buy? Maybe they are driving slow because your road is in such bad shape? Just because a vehicle drives by your house, slowly, does not immediately imply that they are going to burglarize your property! This level of paranoia some of you seem to be experiencing is getting out of hand.

Well, the vacant house across the street from me was robbed this week. Had I been home I would have seen them. Had I had a security system, it would of seen it too. So now I am considering a camera system. Call me paranoid.

Can these camera systems be solar powered? Not gonna be useful if they need electricity, such was the case in my neighborhood for the past two weeks.
I think that a coordinated response that is evident to the potential thieves would have great deterrent value, if such could be pulled off. It would have to be real and unequivocally because of them though, initiated because they showed up at that time. Just seeing "Neighborhood Watch" signs everywhere when clearly nobody is watching provides no deterrent.
I have a friend that lived in Ainaloa subdivision a few years back. There was a rash of thefts and robberies in his neighborhood. This man is a Veitnam veteran and has an arsenal in his closet. He anticipated a robbery to his own house so for a couple of days in a row he drove his truck to his friends house and had his friend drive him back to his own house so there would be no vehicle in the driveway and it appeared nobody was home. He decked himself out in camo gear complete with face-paint. Then crept off into a comfortable spot in the jungle with lookout and a resting spot. On the second or third day a vehicle with to men stopped in front of his house to case it. My friend told be the look on their face was priceless when he stepped out of the bushes next to the driver side door and cocked his shotgun. Words were exchanged and he never saw them again. I'm sure they felt lucky to be alive after that. A bit extreme but effective.
Nothing beats racking the slide as a greeting...