Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HVO maps 9/5/2014
SBH - I am pretty sure your last sentence is true. I think people should cut these people a little slack, their work schedule and recovery time is going to be difficult to deal with for some time to come. Just think what would be happening if there were no HVO or USGS and we were getting no updates at all.
I think the flows were not colored in because they wanted to show the topography in the current flow area as complete as possible. The caption states the flows are outlined.
no blue lines on this one... but still interesting non the less.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/uploads/image-104.jpg

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
quote:
Originally posted by davidr

So, what do punaweb readers think of all this speculation about the flow? Does it make you nervous and anxious or are people taking it in stride to think that they will be a little part of history of our archipelago?

There must be something wrong with me but I find it kind of exciting. But then that's what I thought of the hurricane too. Never a dull moment in Puna.

I think there's a very good chance this will fizzle out.
That is a whole lot of new data. It has been collected for a long time and kept confidentially or it explains how detailed the terrain mapping can be from the X37b.
------
ted, have you been hanging out with opihikaoBOB? Where do some of you come up with these wacky theories?

If you search back on this forum, you will find out that NASA flew a small jet, equipped with a special type of ground penetrating radar, over the volcano. This was maybe 2 years ago. There was even an article in the Trib about it.
It got mentioned on Punaweb because of course, people saw a small jet and immediately assumed anti-weed control efforts.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated The mechanisms of Puu Oo are quite different from Kilauea.

You've got your terminology wrong. Kilauea is the name of the volcano. Halemaumau is the crater at the summit currently in eruption with a lava lake. Puu Oo is a cone on the east rift zone currently erupting a lava flow. Puu Oo and Halemaumau are both on Kilauea.
like the highly detailed map posted last week on another thread, the blue lines are the flow lines (ie downhill direction), they are not always creekbeds, but can be.. they just show the way a liquid would flow in that area (ie lava, water)...

there is a more detailed similar map on this link related to a 2007 flow,... also a map (page4) that show these same style flow lines (more detailed) and also color highlights the age of the flows for all of Puna (ie mine is Mauna Loa ca750+ years ago)
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1264/of2007-1264.pdf

PS. What I found by these maps is my place in Hawaiian Acres (top left corner) was prob covered by Mauna Loa (750+ yrs ago) or maybe Kilauea (400 yrs ago) (Im right on the edge of the 2)

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
On the shaded-relief map, courtesy of the Carnegie Airborne Observatory, shows some of the cracks and faults that are present in East Rift Zone.
Shown on map is True/Mid Pacific Well Pad near lava flow.
Isn't True/Mid Pacific Well Pad geo-thermal? Anything to be concerned about with the flow so close to this?
hawaiideborah
The Carnegie Airborne Observatory project uses LIDAR, (light detection and ranging), which is similar to radar but uses light wavelengths. It allows very precise mapping of contours, and because they also measure the spectral reflection of the ground, can not only map out lava vs. vegetation but also separate different types of trees and other plants (such as for detecting albizia vs. native trees) with a high degree of accuracy. If you see a small prop plane flying over in straight-line paths back and forth, that's it.

hawaiideborah: The pad was a test well for geothermal. I don't know how deep it went, but it's at least capped and filled in, so it's no big deal if it gets covered by lava. If anything that will seal it up better!

bananahead: if you're in HA, you're on the younger Kilauea flow; the boundary of Keaau ahupuaa, which includes all of those big subdivisions southeast of highway 11, is defined by the edge of that flow, where it's mostly uluhe, ohia, and swordfern. Where you see taller introduced trees (aside from Cook pine), guinea grass, and sugar cane north of the Old Volcano Trail/Road A that runs along the edge of HA is the Mauna Loa flow. The flows there are actually about 5,000-30,000 years old (depending on exactly where), which makes for a pretty stark transition; on the map they just lumped all of Mauna Loa together, the younger 750 year old ones are out around Stainback highway.
its gonna get all the yuppies in sea view!! that'll teach 'um to mess with the circus!! given the choice I'm pretty sure pele would choose an acrobat over an accountant!

#10048;
#10048;