Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego County is on Fire
Is there a trick to getting a dog to where a dust mask? We have a dog that prefers to eat them.

For those of you who are concerned, I'm getting the humidity in my humidor stabilized.

Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"This is Earth. Isn't it hot?"

- Paris Hilton
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

Though we are far away, our hopes and prayers are with all of you impacted by these fires, Joey, Glen, Andy and Mella and whoever else is in the affected areas.

I swear, I'll never complain about the rain in East Hawaii again. At least it helps stop (only "helps", doesn't "prevent"Wink the same thing from happening here.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.hawaiirealproperty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
I am exhausted and I'm in N.CA.
My wife, daughter, son-in-law and new granddaughter are right in the thick of it.
The fire last night near the kids house was a new fire - fire #4 in the canyon country area - "of unknown origin". It was "contained" (whatever that means in this situation), after the wind died down a bit - missed the kids but destroyed the mobile home park on the opposite side of the ridge. It is such an endless changing situation - O.K. - not O.K. - stay in place - evacuate - roads open - roads closed.

Please God make it stop!

I forgot to mention I have another family unit with grandson in BIG BEAR LAKE - "The Arrowhead Fire" is across the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far, they are fine. How do you describe "fine" in the middle of a forest fire?

Like jdirgo - Glen, Andy, Mella l - I hope your situations have improved.

Joey "O"
quote:
......I forgot to mention I have another family unit with grandson in BIG BEAR LAKE...

Aloha! Where at the Lake? My brother is there too, and my mom & dad's cabin is near the airport at Big Bear City (although no one is there till mid Novemeber when my Dad goes back).
Aloha!Kapohocat!

[quote]
cabin is near the airport at Big Bear City
[quote]

They are also in Big Bear City just past the airport, side street off the "trendy" shopping district. Info. is smelly, smokey, with fire visible in the distance but O.K. - so far??
Sounds like Mom & Dad's cabin might be O.K. Hope your brother is too!
Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. We are fine. We left the house today (going stir crazy, Jack Nicholson in the Shining type crazy). Drove up closed-again, open-again Highway 5. It was shocking to see fires right under the power lines at San Onofre and almost down to the Highway. We turned back around at Dana Point. The air was no clearer up there, so we headed home.
Three C-130's and some Helos have finally arrived. These should go a long way toward extinguishing the fires. It is not over yet, but we have not been ordered to evacuate and I think with the C-130's and and the change in the wind that brings the coastal breezes, the worst is over.

One thing I want to tell my distant friends is, contrary to what you are hearing on television, this is NO Katrina. This was a brie and champagne evacuation. About 1500 homes were lost compared to 275,000 in Katrina. Yes, the evacuation centers here were pleasant and well stocked, but they were not under 18 feet of water. In other words, San Diego was on fire, but it was NOT under water AND on fire. Ignore the comparisons between this and Katrina, and the supposedly beautiful way we handled this. There is NO comparison.

Mella, feel free to stop by, and Andy, look forward to a plate lunch in Vista!

In Venice with a friend, put the car and freight for the BIG ISLAND for real on the ship yesterday, drove to San Diego and saw the whole affair. Shipping terminal for the car right there by the stadium.

These fires were set, that's the crime. Mark my words. Watch the news. They've caught one so far.

That DOESN'T mean I'm not sympathetic.

I work it construction mostly, and 1 in 20 houses down here are in foreclosure. The big developers (rightly) are in worse shape yet.

Fire is hell.

Correction, police have caught two, shot one while setting fires. MSNBC.

Follow the money. It's a terrible shame.

I agree fire is formidable and deadly.I have been in two house fires myself.Luckily,everyone was okay and neither burned down.One was in the evening right before I was going to bed and I smelled electrical burning.There was a fire in the wall.It was hot to the touch.Good thing for the fire dept.That was enough fire experience for me.So,I feel for everyone there.

Many of us worry about family and friends there in Cal.and hope the best for them and their animals.For those in the midst of it......hang in there and stay safe.

quote:
One thing I want to tell my distant friends is, contrary to what you are hearing on television, this is NO Katrina. This was a brie and champagne evacuation....

As much as we worried for our friends and family, we did have a little chuckle at how SO Cal handles their disasters! "Brie and Champagne" - you totally got it! We always gotta say that only So Cal can handle the problems with an eye for the future and the "made for TV" movie... I hear Arnold is going to play the part of the govenor.

Glad you are okay!