Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toad
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Just kill them. They are poisonous and invasive.

That was my original thinking, until I did some research on the subject and discovered that a cane toad can eat it's weight in other invasive species rather quickly. In fact, they even eat smaller cane toads. When I found out that they ate centipedes, my decision was made.
I haven't noticed the toads having any real impact on the centipedes. When the wild chickens showed up, the centipede presence changed in a big way. I think it's because the chickens excavate the surface. The toads can catch one crawling around, but the pedes don't nest on the surface.

I don't kill the toads, and I know they eat a lot, but there were tons of bugs and coqui and centipedes even with a very large toad population. Everything thriving.

Kathy
still parts of the island that don't have coqui ...for example North Kohala and Honoka'a ... So do not transport!

Not too much to worry about there. Doubtful anyone in Puna will drive 60-70 miles one way to drop off some coqui prisoners in Honoka'a. If any Punatic thinks that's a reasonable solution to their frog & toad problem, well, they're probably making even worse decisions than that. And there goes the gas money.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Oh, I agree. I wasn't getting on your case for your suggestion. I was responding to leilanidude's idea (not arguing just commenting) that coqui already have spread wherever they might thrive. I know people "up north" who have been working super hard to keep the night air coqui free, so I felt obliged to mention that not all have given up the battle.

I personally have given up the coqui battle, and the toads only bug me when they do the mating roar once a month. My friend in Ahualoa was freaking out recently that he could not catch the one coqui near their house though. I'm careful when I go over there not to take hitchhikers.

I've relocated cane toads to less inhabited places nearby myself. I think they all find their way back to my pond. And they are everywhere, so wherever you transport them, it won't be new to the area.

Kathy
I think they all find their way back to my pond.

My father had the same problem with squirrels in his backyard. He used a catch-em-live trap, but started to worry the exiled critters were finding their way back to his neighborhood.

I told him to apply a quick spritz of red paint to the back of their tails. He laughed, but a few months later admitted to me that he did try my tracking system. He felt a lot better when none of the recently trapped victims had been "tagged." I felt a lot better when no biologists at the University of Wisconsin had meanwhile discovered a new species of red tailed squirrel.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Toads are dangerous on the roads.

From what I have read, they are crazy drivers.
I don't think to red paint would work because toads do not have tails.
But that doesn't mean someone at UH would not identify them as squirrels and get a grant to study them.
They may be invasive species but so are we humans. Am I not right on this? Cane toads eat coquis by the way. They can be toxic if eaten by your pet but most dogs I've had will have just one or two encounters with them, foam at the mouth and drool a bit, then leave them alone thereafter. Cats are not at all interested in toads. A playful kitten will experiment but learn quickly toads are no fun. Highly unlikely any harm will come to your kitten. Also if the toad is coming around for a few meals on your cats food so what? Let him hang around and eat up bugs too while he's there. That is the main part of their diet. Maybe you overfeed your cat and he leaves food there. If you give your cat just the right amount of food he/she wont leave any behind.
Got to ask...friend said if you put coffee grounds up in the trees that the noisy frogs would "run away"...any body try that? Effects? Thanks.

Best wishes
Best wishes
Catch toad under bucket and slide plastic bag underneath.
Tie off end and toss in freezer.
Haul to transfer station with rubbish and other frozen meat scraps.
Some people say refrigerating first is more "humane".
Coquis freeze well too, and they are a real treat in a fish pond.