Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is new about Puna's geothermal?
Shockwave rider,

You seem to be pursuing facts in support of a theory.
Do some research and start with facts, then advance a theory.

Just a suggestion.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
So, geothermal, for all its downsides, is a proven resource. I asked for alternatives and was given the ethanol scenario, which is great, but largely unproven in terms of economic/environmental viability. Until someone comes up with a better working plan(s), I imagine we'll be obliged to go with what we got. Don't get me wrong, I think people whose lives are directly impacted should be fairly compensated, but have a heart, this community desperately needs the honest revenue. The agricultural community is up against it, tourism is on life support; real estate OMG, and for crying out loud even the drug dealers are feeling the pinch. And, by the way, Appalachian agriculture was never capable of sustaining modern prosperity, that's why sodbusters dropped the reins and flocked to the mines: opportunity.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
There are a couple of problems with Geothermal;
1. They built their plant a quarter mile upwind of an established
Subdivision.

2. It ties into HELCO's obsolete grid distribution system; which
insures that HELCO maintain their power monopoly.

There are also a few solutions to the above problems;

1. Unhook from the grid and install a flexible home power system.
Solar, wind and genset combo works great in most areas.

2. Look for further developments in home power systems. Home systems
are the future because they don't require an antique, expensive,
high maintenance, tree catching, distribution system. Future
developments could include; biofuel gensets that operate on
locally produced fuel, and small fuel cell systems.

3. As more people invest in home systems, HELCO's energy model
becomes more expensive and cumbersome.

There is an energy revolution happening and now is the time to get involved.

"(rather than pursue) facts in support of a theory.
Do some research and start with facts, then advance a theory."

i believe those two sentences contain an invaluable suggestion which can be applied to any topic with tremendous benefit relative to the all too commonplace alternative.
They don't violate county noise ordinance

Special 55-db limit for drilling operations; PGV already stated for the record (as published in our fine local "news" paper) that they intend to ignore this limit, and that their drilling operations are less than the 70-db allowable for Ag zoning

PGV is different because it provides a product that is consumed locally

Valid point, minus obscene HELCO profit margins, the NextEra "merger", and clever redirection of the "relocation" fund.
A new opportunity to have a more serious blowout , and a new opportunity to lie about it, after it happens.
snorkle says: Future developments could include; biofuel gensets that operate on locally produced fuel, and small fuel cell systems.

Nice thought, but the nimby types already had a fit over the Kau and Hamakua bio-fuel attempts and lots of electricity is needed to produce hydrogen for fuel cells and the nimby types don't want geothermal either.
"Special 55-db limit for drilling operations; PGV already stated for the record (as published in our fine local "news" paper) that they intend to ignore this limit, and that their drilling operations are less than the 70-db allowable for Ag zoning "

It makes sense that PGV would ignore this limit.The ordinance would require the county to take action and the law would be found invalid by the courts !!

55 dB is the equivalent of normal conversation.

PGV also has permits to drill at least one or more wells.They spent 100's of 1000's of dollars getting all of the proper permits as required by all of the various agencies that protect us from having cheap electricity !
Yea, I've been hearing the off-the grid, energy revolution spiel for about forty years now and some day, no doubt, it will become a working Tesla reality. As for me, if I could afford it, the solar/wind turbine; what have you, would do fine. Why? Because I personally am very frugal with my energy consumption. But, then again, I'm among the minority. Most people in this state use several times the energy that my wife and I do. You can go around preaching to them til you're blue in the face and guess what, it won't do no good bro. So, what to do? Scold them? Shame them? Punish them? Enlighten them? The problem with that is, it just makes "them" resent "you". Who are you to tell them how to live anyway? They can easily turn it around and point out your flaws, and their are many, by the way. So, fact is, most people simply don't want to live the "alternative life-style" and for better or worse, that's their decision to make. Isn't it better to make some modest adjustments that over time will lead people to make more responsible decisions on how they choose to lead their lives rather than more of this divisive blather and repulsive sanctimony?

"If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow."

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Question: can the geothermal be implicated for this new eruptive paths?

jdo
jdo