Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki

It was
The thread was about Pohoiki, but the phenomenon of unwanted and imposed-by-others noise is not new. We've been listening to The Shire playing loud music for the entire weekend, during the day and throughout the night, though they are located at least a mile east of Ka'ohe Homesteads. By the time the music arrives here it is mostly repetitive bass thumps, unintelligible lyrics and distorted melodies, but quite loud. The unremitting noise has kept me up at night. I'm curious whether others hear this also, particularly in Leilani or other areas on the east side of Pahoa.
It has been my personal experience that there are two types of people who move into remote, rural areas. Introspective types who are looking for peace and quiet, and mindless louts who are looking to make as much noise and be as obnoxious as possible. When these paths cross, it is not pretty. As for the solution, law enforcement once suggested ear plugs to me... It is illegal to quietly build an unpermitted structure on your land, but blasting your neighbors relentlessly day and night with amplified noise seems to fall under some sort of protected behavior.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
I've heard the drum circle some nights. I was 2 blocks in from the highway, maybe a half mile away. It was louder than the coqui.
Now we are at Leilani what happen to pohiki?

jrw
jrw
Well at least we're not in Japan anymore. Wink
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
LOL! All y'all are indeed witty.

keirega as the OP, I believe you are the only one (besides Mr. Tucker) who can edit the spelling (mahalo, Bananahead), and would respectfully ask you do so. Pohoiki is a special place, "Pohiki" no moa.

FYI, "pohiki" isn't really a Hawaiian word, but if dissected, it becomes PO (Night) HIKI (possible, arrive) - http://hawaiian-words.com/hawaiian-dictionary. That would leave one's imagination to a plethora of definition.

Good God, we have enough going on to deal with these issues. Enjoy the area, we have for generations, and if anything comes looking for a landing area, send them past Opihikao to Kalapana area. [Big Grin]

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

JMO.
My apologies on the the spelling. I know it's spelled pohoiki. Not sure how to go back and edit. Went to Bose stereo store the other day. They have noise canceling headphones. Matches the frequency of what is the louder noise and cancels it out focusing on your own music. 299.00 yikes. Perfect for planes etc.. The heavy bass was a fad in the 90's but seamed to have stuck here.
Now I'm curious, sorry for another diversion ;-). Pohoiki translation is po=night and hiki=arrival? Always thought the name was related to Kapoho (poho seems to be generically a concave depression) which I've understood was referring to a depressed area near the beach undoubtedly related to the east rift zone. So pohoiki would be a small (iki) version of a depressed land area. Is there any general guidance on deconstructing Hawaiian words? Pukui and Ebert use a dot between word parts in their dictionary.
quote:
Originally posted by peteadams

Now I'm curious, sorry for another diversion ;-). Pohoiki translation is po=night and hiki=arrival? Always thought the name was related to Kapoho (poho seems to be generically a concave depression) which I've understood was referring to a depressed area near the beach undoubtedly related to the east rift zone. So pohoiki would be a small (iki) version of a depressed land area. Is there any general guidance on deconstructing Hawaiian words? Pukui and Ebert use a dot between word parts in their dictionary.

Aloha kakahiaka, Mr. Adams. Pukui is the "Master", or Bible of Hawaiian language. Terrific source. As to deconstruction, find the root of the word/phrase, and go from there. It becomes quite tricky, however. No clear answer here, sorry. Hopefully, someone else can chime in. I deconstructed a non-existent word ("pohiki").

The bigger problem is when a letter is missing from a word, which in this case, occurred. As an example, some of our tourists would say "We're all going to a LUA!" One little missing letter, or change in pronunciation creates a whole 'nother meaning! Just sayin'.

Of interest perhaps, the original name for the Pohoiki area was actually "Laepaoo". Neighbored by "Pualaa" (going towards Kapoho), next being "Kapoho", next section being "Kula", then "Puua", and then "Koae".

JMO.