Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal question
Maybe because your aloha is not genuine. You give them "stink eye" when they call you Haole, therefore not from the heart aloha. Drop your prejudice, maybe they drop theirs. Maybe they having bad day, give them twinkle in eye, ask what you can do to help instead of showing anger in eyes and posture. Two way street you know.

Community begins with Aloha
I have had a very good experience here for twenty something years. I think a lot of frustration comes from one's expectations. I try to approach people with minimal expectations and hope for the best. If someone isn't in a similar mood I just move on. So far my problems with local folks have been very minimal and the rewards have been impressive.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
haoleproud, 1st off, with that identity, it's obvious you ain't looking to earn any brownie points wit the natives.

Regardless, there are several pockets on Oahu, Maui and big island, white man no get plenty good vib.

In the 70's I'd just avoid em, surfed every where except Makaha as warned by locals. Only surfed the big Haleiwa or Waialua break when 7-12 feet cause in the smaller waves you got local troubles. Even in bigger waves, make sure you got local guy acting as he's buds. watching the waves near local group can be hazardous to health if not carful. Waikiki 3-4 foot breaks get local, locals too. sometime ya got a jealousy things going, if you're better, not falling, and most times,, ya just fight your way through till earn respects, 'ya duh, can surf' However locals uttering the words, 'Pucken Haoli!" in the surf, or passing by, is so frequent, can't count em. And, the memory never fades. .

can get plenty trouble on Oahu if ya go into the wrong areas, but the same's true in other cities, stay out of bad areas you're good.

Puna ain't cactly what ya call an up and coming district of wealth. plenty spots, different streets, one can be nice and others sitting with nothing better to do, but make trouble.

speed or ice it seems ain't helping with dat whole deal. even in Calif as a kid, it was always known that, if a big drunk Samoan was at a party,, blondes stay away. I an'tn count how many time was told that in Hawaii, a bunch! lol I don't know what the heck is the deal wit dat, but I seen a few a time or two fer sure, and it's a good rumor to pay attention too,, me says fer sure. On football team had a Samoan player, was great guy, but while buds during the game, warned,, stay away if drinking, or if any of his brothers were. go figure??

I've heard and read stories even right here about puna schools,, 'It's a rough life fer a Blondie' I'm betting a pale faced brunette could find him/herself in that space too. and it ain't limited to boys, no sir, they get some pretty mean teen-aged girls too.

There's some packs or seriously mean spirited kids down by Kalapana way to the bay. Packed up, and just like some of the improvised cities in the states,, Black and or Mexican neighborhoods.. 'In the hoods' Odds of communicating with them, if ya ain't of color, might be on Task force lists of places to insure ya don't need gas while blazing through ASAP.

Heroin, and crank, I donno is coke around too? whatever,,.. makes for attitudes which are far worse than drunks. mix that with what seems like a right, or rite of passage in Hawaii, get born here, get automatic right to begrudge the tourist.. the peps who are providing the income, Tourism, you either work in some correlated way fer em, or collect subsidized income. .

The modern haole is no longer just not born, not Hawaiian, it's the tourist. And if after 10 years, you're wishing to bail if could,, sounds like you're still touring.

Especially given the circumstances in the puna district,, or in any 'hood' ya ain't using much smarts if kid is standing in the street, acting like he owns it,, cause some might be packing, or,, just wait till you're not home..

I agree, there's a lot of prejudge, nothing new for a Blondie in Hawaii, but 10 years and ya ain't got that???

maybe you also got a case of island fever, 'stuck on a rock' and is forgetting,, small rocks means you're jammed closer than ya might on the mainland.

Regardless just about every corner of the big island, from kona to the farthest north, into Hilo, down into puna, and around the turn west, you're going to find teens too 24 year old kids packed up, and those kids gotta live somewhere too, on your street or mine,, and when they think they own it, avoidance is best policy.

Personally my attack approach to kids like that is to befriend em ASAP.. keep me friends close but, keep me enemies closer. If I can't do that, keep the neighborhood diligent, or find those who he/she is mixing with getting close to on my street, then infiltrate through them.

unless touring, just avoid and move on.

I had a huge 'You're a haoli' prob on my street, the two neighbors on both sides, but, I'd also became friendly with every single home surrounding them. Every one, including a kid, who looked like a drug freak, renting a broke down shack, unkept yard etc.. seemed like might be worst on the street, but, quickly formed an alliance adding to my defense. ( I didn't ask but think they'd gave him the stink eye too, and his family, verse my enemies, Pilipino mixed while his family actually looked like mostly Hawaiian.)

unless touring, just avoid and move on. Because one things fer sure, if you've got paranoid written on forehead, "haoleproud" tee shirt works in lack of paint.. after 10 years?? Punk kids will go after your obvious weakness.
30 years; no problems. Kids born and raised blond in Pahoa Schools, no problems. Give respect, get respect. Love it here.

Jeff Hale has good point; Ten years is a long time to be miserable.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffhale

haoleproud, 1st off, with that identity, it's obvious you ain't looking to earn any brownie points wit the natives.

Regardless, there are several pockets on Oahu, Maui and big island, white man no get plenty good vib.

In the 70's I'd just avoid em, surfed every where except Makaha as warned by locals. Only surfed the big Haleiwa or Waialua break when 7-12 feet cause in the smaller waves you got local troubles. Even in bigger waves, make sure you got local guy acting as he's buds. watching the waves near local group can be hazardous to health if not carful. Waikiki 3-4 foot breaks get local, locals too. sometime ya got a jealousy things going, if you're better, not falling, and most times,, ya just fight your way through till earn respects, 'ya duh, can surf' However locals uttering the words, 'Pucken Haoli!" in the surf, or passing by, is so frequent, can't count em. And, the memory never fades. .

can get plenty trouble on Oahu if ya go into the wrong areas, but the same's true in other cities, stay out of bad areas you're good.

Puna ain't cactly what ya call an up and coming district of wealth. plenty spots, different streets, one can be nice and others sitting with nothing better to do, but make trouble.

speed or ice it seems ain't helping with dat whole deal. even in Calif as a kid, it was always known that, if a big drunk Samoan was at a party,, blondes stay away. I an'tn count how many time was told that in Hawaii, a bunch! lol I don't know what the heck is the deal wit dat, but I seen a few a time or two fer sure, and it's a good rumor to pay attention too,, me says fer sure. On football team had a Samoan player, was great guy, but while buds during the game, warned,, stay away if drinking, or if any of his brothers were. go figure??

I've heard and read stories even right here about puna schools,, 'It's a rough life fer a Blondie' I'm betting a pale faced brunette could find him/herself in that space too. and it ain't limited to boys, no sir, they get some pretty mean teen-aged girls too.

There's some packs or seriously mean spirited kids down by Kalapana way to the bay. Packed up, and just like some of the improvised cities in the states,, Black and or Mexican neighborhoods.. 'In the hoods' Odds of communicating with them, if ya ain't of color, might be on Task force lists of places to insure ya don't need gas while blazing through ASAP.

Heroin, and crank, I donno is coke around too? whatever,,.. makes for attitudes which are far worse than drunks. mix that with what seems like a right, or rite of passage in Hawaii, get born here, get automatic right to begrudge the tourist.. the peps who are providing the income, Tourism, you either work in some correlated way fer em, or collect subsidized income. .

The modern haole is no longer just not born, not Hawaiian, it's the tourist. And if after 10 years, you're wishing to bail if could,, sounds like you're still touring.

Especially given the circumstances in the puna district,, or in any 'hood' ya ain't using much smarts if kid is standing in the street, acting like he owns it,, cause some might be packing, or,, just wait till you're not home..

I agree, there's a lot of prejudge, nothing new for a Blondie in Hawaii, but 10 years and ya ain't got that???

maybe you also got a case of island fever, 'stuck on a rock' and is forgetting,, small rocks means you're jammed closer than ya might on the mainland.

Regardless just about every corner of the big island, from kona to the farthest north, into Hilo, down into puna, and around the turn west, you're going to find teens too 24 year old kids packed up, and those kids gotta live somewhere too, on your street or mine,, and when they think they own it, avoidance is best policy.

Personally my attack approach to kids like that is to befriend em ASAP.. keep me friends close but, keep me enemies closer. If I can't do that, keep the neighborhood diligent, or find those who he/she is mixing with getting close to on my street, then infiltrate through them.

unless touring, just avoid and move on.

I had a huge 'You're a haoli' prob on my street, the two neighbors on both sides, but, I'd also became friendly with every single home surrounding them. Every one, including a kid, who looked like a drug freak, renting a broke down shack, unkept yard etc.. seemed like might be worst on the street, but, quickly formed an alliance adding to my defense. ( I didn't ask but think they'd gave him the stink eye too, and his family, verse my enemies, Pilipino mixed while his family actually looked like mostly Hawaiian.)

unless touring, just avoid and move on. Because one things fer sure, if you've got paranoid written on forehead, "haoleproud" tee shirt works in lack of paint.. after 10 years?? Punk kids will go after your obvious weakness.

Jeff hale what do u mean by the name i am using is not proper? I cannot be proud I am a HAOLE? Really? But its ok to be a hawaiian? Really?

fb
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

PS I reread ALL of your first post OP
IMO you may not last here with that 'anti-local' attitude
....youre best off on Oahu, but stay clear of the windward side lol
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

I get a kick out of how we are supposed to bow down to hawaiians. My name Haoleproud is bothering JEFF HALE. Why Jeff? I cannot be proud? There a double standard perhaps. I am not on bottom of the pond as far as I am concerned and I bow down to nobody. You all say its their island? PROVE IT. There are many stories about who came first to these islands and it may not be Hawaiians. It is now UNITED STATES. PERIOD no matter what anyones take is on the history e3tc. We accept hawaiians on mainland and we need here to extend the courteousy here. I bow to no one! I pay taxes here have a home and my taxes pay for welfare and services for thos disgruntled hawaiians they are happy with government assistance and they cannot afford to complain

fb
Seems like you're just looking for a beef.

but;

If you are indeed insecure in your haoleness, you may try and reinforce that insecurity with "pride". It may help you, or just complicate things.

I walk around with a big smile on my face, pick up hitch hikers, throw a shaka out to the neighbors and never have a problem. Could be because I'm 6' 210lb or it could be because I'm friendly and treat everyone with respect.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by haoleproud

quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

I get a kick out of how we are supposed to bow down to hawaiians. My name Haoleproud is bothering JEFF HALE. Why Jeff? I cannot be proud? There a double standard perhaps.

Jeff hale what do u mean by the name i am using is not proper? I cannot be proud I am a HAOLE? Really? But its ok to be a hawaiian? Really?

fb
fb

Dude? 1st off you shouldn't put words in my mouth. U ain't bothering me. I get it, ya know? I get prejudge from blacks, browns, yellows and greens on a regular basis.

I don't need a tee shirt.
Blondie is a target all across the globe unless me blonde butt is inside of all white neighborhood. . . presumably like you, I don't have the cash to sit inside of a predominantly white neighborhood, bordered, fenced off, patrolled, or gate guarded, that's the climate of my choosing, in Hawaii too.. Not very sure I'd like to be either. besides you'd have to come out for air, and guess what?? the rest of the world will still be there.

I could talk story all day, into weeks about it..

Me actual brudda, now, he's one screwed up dope when it comes to prejudge. He's had tattoos long before it was fashionable for em, cept, the only fashion in his is,, marking himself a target for peps who have a delusional hatred fer Whiteman.

Got his boys all screwed up with the delusion too.. poor kids.

He's a liar, BS-er, irresponsible, dodges bills, used up his kids names for utilities and any other credit references he could. has joined veterans associations and clubs with some loony sap story of his Vietnam experiences, talking story about killing villages, children women etc. however the fact is, the army booted him after 'A' school he's never been off the mainland.

lucky because he's also a hero-wanna-be, had he to war, he'd be dead.

He even goes around telling people things I did, claiming as his own.

While he was raising his kids, albeit, I'm using that word loosely, "raising" his children's xmas was my home. my wife and I helped take care of them. She's of Japanese decent and one day while chatting alone wit his oldest boy, about 27 at the time, He was compelled to confess how difficult it was for him, basically still is. Faked kinship. Can U imagine?? years and years that POS lived off of me and my family, kissing up to us at holidays, always leaves with big hugs and says: "I love you brother" yet all the while teaching his kids to hate us? that's some serious sick jealousy.

too the point, the types of people U is bothered about come in all colors.

I hate wat me bradda do but, we are all bruddas bud.. some are delusional idiots, some not.

I don't visit me bruddas who are delusional dopes, in fact avoid. Had me brada not children who needed help, attendance, he no cross my door's threshold. was always liar, cheat, thief BS-er, Jealous the day I born 2 year older than I POS! Albeit me thanks him for being such, teaches me, how not to be a complete POS of mankind.

I Don't understand prejudges. do not see a point to it all, cept I know me brudda good, I know what motivates his delusions.. He's a scared little chicken inside a shell, jealous of anybody who has better sense than to take his personal problems out on others. He's wearing caps that belong to others. .

If me own dear brudda lived in an all white trash neighborhood, and you were not white, he'd be the A hole standing in that street waiting for some dope to make him go around. And seeing as me know me brudda so well?? it really doesn't madda what color, anybody who's standing in the street, in delusion, as if owning it, has a blinking light on forehead. "I'm an IDIOT, looking for a problem".

Yer 60 year old, yet didn't see that flashing light on that kid?? You chose to bring it on, asked for trouble to knock on your door?

WTF for?

I've met plenty punks like that, however rather than attack, challenge em, I attempt to befriend em, 1st thing say something funny.. or likes me said,, infiltrate em where he's not expecting.

U's yer smarts not brunt. me takes em off their guard cause no lives in caveman world.

And! AND! If I can infiltrate that punk, try and use me wit or humor to help the dope, get along.. to be sure! Just like me try says to U!.

Same me attempts fer me nephews and niece. Compassion fer da ignorant me has, tons and tons me gots.

which also aides in me 1st point Get tee shirt that says 'white proud', and walk down any street in the whole world that is predominantly not white. Mo bedda bro,, do it in east or south LA, suburbs of Washington DC, Detroit, Sacramento,, there's 100's, thousands of cities in the mainland from east to west, north, south , where just like puna, you is the minority, trouble will find you. Wink

Hell screw that, get Blondie hair,, You no need stand in street like a dope,, I get one big target all of the time.

Yet you put words in me mouth, paraphrased things and ideal I did not say. perhaps whether you realize it or not,, perhaps the problem you're having, is me own dear bradda's too.

He actually hates himself and has been looking fer somebody to put him out of misery.

Will you champion the cause for that ignorant kid, "put him out of his misery'? Or, whether an illusion of counter attack the like's o me,, take him off guard, moreover, to turn the other cheek (no religious intent but, to paraphrase) and help the dope?

I may never, ever grow to like a punk like that, but in the very least, no much worry he's coming after me.

Plant a seed in the fool's mind: Not all of us white devils are the enemy.

Wink

I'm as haole as they come. From the mainland. Old man to boot.

I've never had any problems at all with the locals. But then, I do not expect them to be anything but human beings. A lot of baggage goes with being human. Expecting Hawaiians to be free of it is not realistic.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.