Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing pot
"Geez.. life's way too short to get your panties in a knot over a word!"

sure, sometimes a loaded word can have as much impact as we choose to let it, or perhaps how we choose to take it, possibly in a misunderstood way. but to suggest all such words and the context they may be used are created equal and can simply be ignored would be a false claim. i can easily think of a number of words out there which, directed at certain people, would be nothing but cruel and disgusting, hurtful to say the least. not everyone is coming from the same background.

"...where various ethnic groups addressed each other with politically incorrect words like "Krout", "Dago", "Mick", "Polack", etc ."

sometimes get choke good laughs with friends and family teasing back and forth any kine, playing on the many classic ethnic stereotypes all together here. actually, among friends and family it's quite endearing (should be!), love really, though usually nobody going come out and exactly describe it like that in the moment, right, might spoil the fun, ah. but even then, obviously get SOME limits. that's usually with people we know or atleast familiar with.

with the loaded ethnic stuff, better to have a rapport. rap·port n. Relationship, especially one of mutual trust or emotional affinity. rapport; a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well. otherwise, you're likely just being a huge azz.

I saw a funny bumper sticker, a spoof on the fearless Hawaiian or fearless Fillipino stickers. It was high on the back window, nice and visible: frightened haole
[:p] lol!

I do know some fearless haoles that rush some of the most insane and dangerous waves on the planet!
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Nice article; Mahalo Southman!

especially meaningful; "Being haole in Hawaii, i.e. Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Caucasian, etc., doesn#699;t need to be a negative thing … unless of course no effort is made by haole to advance and promote understanding of the indigenous, Kanaka Maoli host culture and language that was once so close to extinction."

Hula was mentioned as a good cultural connection; Joining a Canoe Club is another. (Plus there's the physical and party benefits).
Welcome braddah, I liked that part the best too. Was hoping guys would actually read the whole thing, but I think some didn't.

Can come party with da surfahs too, we love to party!
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
I love racial generalizations. I love when I ma judged by my skin color. Aren't we all locals? I never met a space alien yet. But then I haven't been to the Star Visitor Sanctuary recently. And a few of the Island Natch customers may very well be from...oh never mind.
National Geographic article about sharing the waves at Makaha:

After my initial surfing misadventure at Makaha, I went to see Bruce DeSoto, a member of one of Makaha’s most prominent families. I asked him for advice on avoiding any further unpleasantness in the water. He leaned back in his armchair and replied, “When somebody new comes in the lineup, we expect them to introduce themselves and say hi, at least.” He continued, “The bottom line is respect. You respect, you’re welcome, then you come surf our place anytime you want. But if you don’t respect, then you got a problem.”

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/0...aster-text
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are many people in regions far beyond California who want warm weather too. And they can afford it. They are not "rich" per se. Some are, many are not. But financially speaking, they are much better off than many poor souls out here in Hawaii. So they sell their homes on the continent and move to the Big Island to find that next chapter in Paradise. However that chapter plays out touches upon a wide spectrum of possibilities -- good and bad. But let it be known, the numbers of folks...mainly haoles...who move to Hawaii will continue to remain steady. In terms of monies, banks, mortgages, investments, inheritances, stocks, bonds, etc -- it is haole folks who 1) created the game, 2) printed the cards, and 3) made the rules. Therefore, it should not be a surprise that most folk who are able to afford moving to Hawaii are in fact...white. I don't mean no ill will by this, I'm just stating my humble observation. Hawaii will continue to change. Gradually and affirmatively. And white folks will be the dominant group of people who will continue to dictate laws, ordinances, policies, community development plans, etc. Especially in certain regions like Puna, Waikoloa, Ka'u, Kona, Maui, Kailua, Lanikai, Kamuela, Kapaa, etc, etc. etc. Make no mistake about it, Americans of Japanese Ancestry (AJAs) still run things in Hawaii. But continental transplant haoles got the $$$ and making a steady push to stake their claim. Hang tight my good haole friends! Hawaii will be like that place you moved away from in no time!
quote:
Originally posted by 2liveque

.... And white folks will be the dominant group of people who will continue to dictate laws, ordinances, policies, community development plans, etc. Especially in certain regions like Puna, Waikoloa, Ka'u, Kona, Maui, Kailua, Lanikai, Kamuela, Kapaa, etc, etc. etc.

If you think transplants from the mainland of any race or ethnicity have any real influence on "laws, ordinances, community development plans etc." here in Hawaii you are deluding yourself.

Transplants from the mainland are generally marginalized in almost all ways, don't have any important political connections, and have no access to political influence here. Listen to people testify at things like land use hearings and almost always the winning side has lines of people who start out with: I was born and raised here, I went to X school, I graduated from X high school, when they give their testimony. If you don't start out your testimony that way you might as well not even bother to sign up to speak, because your voice doesn't matter to the people making the decisions.

Our mayor with a law degree shows up at public meetings and talks in pidgin because the people he wants to hear him the clearest speak that way, if mainland transplants had any influence or pull he would be using the vernacular of a college educated lawyer in those meetings. Because, if nothing else, Billy knows how to speak the language of power.
Hawaii will be like that place you moved away from in no time!

If only that were true.
The place I moved away from had no big box stores. You could buy a house at the time I left for under $20,000. Gas is now $1.50 a gallon cheaper there than it is in Hilo. I didn't lock my house doors, or car doors. When on rare occasion there was a robbery, we talked about it for a week or longer, in disbelief.

That's the mainland too.

So why I am I here? Right now it's about 90 degrees colder back there. Pretty good trade off.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves