Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
Southernmost, how right you are when you mention how nice it was back in the day. Yet most the folks I grew up here with moved away or are now on this welfare program, even many Hawaiian friends. The transition from cane to tourism happened fast in Kona, slower in hilo, only now with the addition of the lava flow has Puna really seen the tourism effects. Places down south like Pahala, wiohinu, hove, na'alehu, those are the country towns now. Pahala, wood valley, punalu'u have been abandoned treasures since cane was taken away in those parts.
Out in the wild east of Puna times are changing quickly, as is the land with the additional lava flows. The tourist are wanting to stay longer and possibly get a chance to see the lava. Our state for years has made this our number 1 industry, so now is the time to make sure these tourists and state get what they want. This area of Puna needs the jobs and added revenue that tourism brings, right now the tourists are here using our roads and bathrooms yet not spending much, and we have a lot of young able bodied folks on EBT.
All truth braddah, and I agree with you. I grew up in Na'alehu until I was 22 when I met my future wife who was from Pana'ewa. Moved to be with her.
Many of my friends I grew up have had to move away or have no job because of the cane mill closing. I totally agree we need jobs for
our local kids so they can stay here where they are from. Not against development or jobs, just against this island turning into o'ahu. It has to be done right.

Edited to add: Kalakoa, KEEP COUNTRY COUNTRY is a non profit grassroots trying to keep Pupukea to Kahuku from being over developed.
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
A nice hotel in Kea'au would be sweet,with KMC type accommodations and a large family oriented park / open space as it's focal point.
The problem with tourism is the jobs don't pay well. If you're going to take advantage of the opportunity, much better to go independent, whatever niche you're in. Cultural tourism/education is what I'd like to see more of, as long as it's authentic and done respectfully. We often connect visitors from Japan with local kumu hulas, ukulele teachers, Hawaiian language teachers, even with our local charter school. It helps, of course, that Japanese are genuinely interested in learning about Hawaiian culture. (A few years back HTA estimated over 400,000 Japanese are studying hula, a mind-blowing stat.)

As far as overdevelopment, based on past and recent lava activity, I'm pretty confident Pahoa will never turn into O'ahu.

Like HOTPE I'm originally from the Midwest (in my case, Chicago, but I have lots of cousins and friends up in Cheesehead Land). Chicago's brutal winters ultimately chased me away. It happened 13 years ago while shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway (at 6 in the morning so I could get to work on time), when something in my head snapped. And for the first time ever that crazy voice in my head said something that made sense: that I was too old to be doing this sh!t. And here I am, no regrets, even with the lava flowing...because at least I don't have to shovel it!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
My idea of sensible development would be to construct a large lagoon with ocean access channel and Waá Halau in the new lava at Kalapana.

The material dredged could be put offshore, with the shoreline engineered to create a Point Break and Bay that would take advantage of the prevailing easterly swell and Summer Souths.

Surfers are easily housebroken, and would travel from far and wide to experience Puna Makai waves. Local families would have a recreational area safe for children and paddlecraft.

By locating the development on fresh Lava, there would be minimal impact on local ecosystems. Composting toilets; Picnic and Camp Grounds would be all the infrastructure necessary.

What are there for hotels in Puna? The only one I can think of is the one that recently re-opened in the national park. Ka'u has one of sorts near Punalu'u.
There will be no large Hotels/Resorts built in Puna Makai. Madame Pele has her own zoning restrictions.

This leaves visitors free to utilize the more modest and sustainable model of "Bed/Breakfast", or "Camp/Breakfast". Tourist dollars would be more evenly spread among residents as these types of venues grow.

Need bigger, rooms and more Restaurants? Try Kona.
Good topic and discussion. Mahalo. As the lava dictates the next chapter of Puna and our environment, this discussion may become more important.

It is time to rethink our options, get involved in renewing our community for the greater good, which includes our visitors. Once a plan, especially lower Puna for our ohana, is embraced by the majority (can't please everyone), we should all strive to make it happen.

This is also a good discussion for our elected officials to be involved in due to the zoning and land use issues, etc. There are some fantastic "portable/temporary" structures today for many uses.

Puna is still front and center. We should take advantage of the options we may have today. Good growth, including agriculture, and accomodations for our visitors (including restaurants, culture events, etc.) may be the answer to our stagnant economic status.

JMO.

P.S. Please give us a "Superferry" type option! That would come along with a new docking area at Pohoiki (obviously), and even greater possibilities. Well, the Ali'i landed at Honolulu Landing, so perhaps that's a better area. OK, pau dream. [Smile]
I need to explain this to a few who believe that the hotels/resorts pay very low wages. They are union operations and the last I had heard, housekeepers made something north of $15 per hour and they get tips also. How much does the average vacation rental pay their cleaning person, per hour? I bet it is a lot less.
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

My idea of sensible development would be to construct a large lagoon with ocean access channel and Waá Halau in the new lava at Kalapana.

The material dredged could be put offshore, with the shoreline engineered to create a Point Break and Bay that would take advantage of the prevailing easterly swell and Summer Souths.

Surfers are easily housebroken, and would travel from far and wide to experience Puna Makai waves. Local families would have a recreational area safe for children and paddlecraft.

By locating the development on fresh Lava, there would be minimal impact on local ecosystems. Composting toilets; Picnic and Camp Grounds would be all the infrastructure necessary.

This is such a good idea I am sure it will never come to fruition, but I have been thinking exactly the same thing for years. I grew up in an area with a lot of limestone mining, and all my favorite swimming holes were abandoned stone quarries. I have to admit I look at some of the lava fields that reach the water here in Puna and fantasize about what a few well placed sticks of dynamite could do for creating a safe swimming spot, a good surf break would be big bonus.

I've lived with a few surfers over the years, so I am not sure I agree with the housebroken part, but they will show up anywhere there are waves and at least buy food and beer.