Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land Rover
Okidoki,
I made an attempt to defuse. Over these years, with 28,000+ posts, there are increasingly tempests in a teapot taking place. Might be mainlanders raising hackles with old hands or newbies, sometimes it's on purpose, mostly I think that as our membership grows past 1,200 it's increasingly impossible not to miff someone every time.

My best advice when a posting jumps out at you and slaps you in the face is to Count To Ten and ignore it.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
John,
Sorry about all the car trouble but thank you for posting it. Really, it's another thing to think about. I will need a new (different) car when I move there, mine is way too low to the ground for some roads I will be driving on a regular basis. Thank you for sharing.
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
This is a comment about a comment about a comment. The comment is seen in a mirror. In front of that mirror is....another mirror! And what do I see? It's the Spirit of Punaweb reflected 14,000 times! Blinding!

Beer and Potato Salad for All! Let's tailgate out of the Land Rover!

I'll bring the beer.

quote:
This is a comment about a comment about a comment. The comment is seen in a mirror. In front of that mirror is....another mirror! And what do I see? It's the Spirit of Punaweb reflected 14,000 times! Blinding!

Beer and Potato Salad for All! Let's tailgate out of the Land Rover!

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
John:
... I think the switch your are talking about is just the little drop down guy that lives behind the brake pedal - 15 minutes tops (some turn on the brake lights others disengage the cruise control, most modern vehicles have a fail safe design so not to worry ... the fact that there is a recal just may be that they have found bad batch - as opposed to all switches being bad - it would be a drag to ship the car to find yours is ok ... my input would be call the dealer with your serial number / build date before you take any action. It may be a non issue

in the meanwhile see if you can get copies of the tsb's (technical service bulletins) issued by the factory will be a big help in the future regarding these kinds of questions. Alldata (www.alldatadiy.com ) may even be able to provide them ... the key is to address those issues that are important, monitor the ones that aren't and in the meantime, enjoy one great ride!

quote:

""I was considering getting a Prius and changed my mind as I heard the Toyota dealer isn't affiliated with Toyota directly, as dealers on the mainland are contracted with Toyota like for quality assurance, parts and diagnostic equipments to keep it tuned and repaired.

Repairs would be iffy and I wouldn't want to ship my Prius back to the mainland for maintenance.""

My understanding is that any authoriized dealer can and should honor any and all factory warranties. Now with that said I don't know if there is an authorized Toyota dealer on the BI. If not, then John would be in the same situation as with the Land Rover.

I do know that the Toyota dealership in Honolulu is an authorized Toyota dealership as well they were one of the first in the US. The misunderstanding might come in the fact that there are different distributors throughout the world, including the U.S. The distributor for my area is called Gulf States. Whereas the distributor for the west coast is different.

I have a freind that took his Toyota FJ60 (Land Cruiser)to south America and his warranty was honored in Peru.

But all this is irrelevant if you buy a Land Cruiser cuz you probably won't need a warrantee. They're just that strong..

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Here is the tsb link for 2007 land rovers

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/0768_mo.html

regards

John, I am sorry to hear of your pain. We sold our 2002 Freelander when we moved to Hawaii, after we learn there was no LR dealership on the island. My wife cried when we sold it to some friends of ours, it was a great car I only wish it was a diesel. In the past we have owned many rovers including a 2dr Range Rover, a early Disco, the Freelander, a Stage 1 S3, and a bunch of other series. We still have a 1961 S2 SWB HT, a 1973 SWB HT and my 1966 S2a 109 MOD ambulance and I do all my own maintenance. I don't ever think we will be without a rover. I tend to like RoversNorth and RoversDownSouth, but I have a series. AB seems a bit pricey, of course I visit the British Isles alot so I picked up small bits there.

Remember: 80% or Land Rovers are still on the road, the other 20% made it home.

Jared

Remember: 80% or Land Rovers are still on the road, the other 20% made it home.

Well Jared at least you're honesst. OK I', just funnin ya. I'm sure they're fine vehichles. I did notice that all of your keepers are thre older models, and I do like the older ones better than..

But, since you posted your list I feel compelled to post my TLC list. I'll stick with the ones I currently own. Two 1997 FJ80s, One 1985 FJ60 (325K miles/org.engine), One 1973 FJ40.(looks like a jeep) I plan to bring one of the 1997s and the 1985 to the BI.

Jared, here's where I know we agree. I plan to put a six cylinder diesel in the 1985 prior to bringing it to the island.

Anyway maybe someday when I get to the BI we can do a little back road action.

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Thank you for all the advice, helping offers and private e-mails too. My frustration did not have anything to do with the solution to this problem. I was and still am frustrated beacuse of how Land Rover handled this situation and their total lack of support. It's one thing to get something that failes fixed but it's a different thing to get something fixed that was malfunctioning to begin with. And no, I am not the only one receiving this special treatment from Land Rover, there are 20 people just on this island affected by the Safety Recall. (That was the number given to me by Land Rover Honolulu and I am sure there are others on the other outer islands too.) I guess Land Rover just decided "screw you" customers!

I bought a Land Rover for exactly the same reason someone posted here, "it would be cool to own one." Needless to say, I would never buy another Land Rover and I assume, based on my experience, most others would come to the same conclusion. (I also will make sure to "help" Land Rover sales by telling my story to everybody.)

(BTW, someone offered a donkey for my Land Rover and if I can get him to offer me two the deal will look pretty good!) SmileSmileSmile

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html